F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F31 suspension guide & discussion
GetBMWParts

05-05-2023, 08:52 PM   #221
A340600driver
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW f31/f25/e85

Hey guys just a little info here for those agonizing over our F31 suspensions . I have always been a car guy but being on these forums somehow supercharges that . I have been driving bmw’s for 25 years from my first E30 318is , E39 528i/ E46 wagon x2 both manual / 2 x E91. Auto / 2 x X3 35i/ 1 Z3 / 1 z4 and my F31 . My F31 came with adaptive suspension which was on its last legs when I bought the car last year ( fronts were changed at 80k under warranty ) currently at 160k . When my local Indy told me the fronts and rears were done I never really thought of the issue until I saw the price of them . 4 Oem adaptives will run you at least 3500 Canadian . I was unaware of all the options available and of coding out the adaptive. I started looking at the bilstein Damptronic , however they were all backorder . I managed to find someone on Facebook marketplace, who was selling one brand new bilstein and three used adaptives from his 340i ( rears were tired ) . He went with the b16 damptronics . I put it on the back burner till this year and started doing more research on what I was going to do after reading all of these articles I was torn between the bilstein B 12 pro kit or staying with the adaptive as I already had a front left. A month ago a front right became available at rock auto and I decided to buy it. At the same time ECS tuning had the rears available April 13 . so I decided to remain adaptive and purchased the right and ordered the rears.

With all the information on this website, it is very hard to decide what to do. However, my final decision was to keep as is and maintain the Adaptive suspension.

I decided to do the install this week with a friend following Farkle’s brilliant video. However, I don’t live in California I live in snowy Montreal. Let’s just say there’s more corrosion and dust and dirt falling off while doing the removal . Following the video the removal went fairly well considering it was my first time, however when trying to install the new top plates, there was no way we could use our spring compressor. The one Farkle uses is definitely the one you need , in the video he states you could use a cheap one which I did and it was completely useless, we ended up taking both of them out and going to our local indy shop to mount the top plates and springs . We installed the struts with new springs and lowered the car . Upon starting the car we had a chassis fault message , which I believed was the front right accelerometer as we had a hard time getting it connected . When the car was on the ground as well it was sitting unusually high , about 29 inches from ground to wheel arch . The next day as I was trying to clear the chassis fault I had a look at the strut in the knuckle and realized both sides were not seated enough . After loosening the knuckle bolt and pushing the wheel up the strut dropped another inch and a half ( lesson for others in case they have the same issue ) .

I rechecked all the wiring to the sensors and still had the chassis fault . Took it to my local Indy who said that the left front accelerometer was out of range and failed (326 Canadian) and to make matters worse ECS tuning has extended the shipping date for the rears from April 13th to June 27th .

So some advice for the others , if I could do it again I would definitely go for the Koni’s SA and code out the adaptive or just go for standard B4’s . I will say the drive on the B4 is excellent with the new springs . The front adaptives could not even hold up their own weight.

If attempting to do this job remember where you live can make the difference from being easy or hard . 10 years of road salt slush and snow makes the bottom of these cars look like rust buckets along with all the seized bolts , corrosion and snapped clip nuts .

All the help and advice on these forums is amazing however it is easy to go down the rabbit hole as I did and overthink it . Decide if adaptive is important to you and go from there . Hope it helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
FaRKle!4017.00
moppity94.50
triax37130.00
      05-08-2023, 07:21 AM   #222
WagonHo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Sport Wagon

Garage List
I'm running those Dinan springs on my 2019 Touring. I love them. They lower the car evenly about 1" all 'round, which after 1 year wasn't my favorite look. The smaller rear wheel arch makes it look a little lower in the rear than the front. Added 10mm spring spacers in the rear, and solved that. Personal taste and all that.

Other than that, the ride is great, everything works with the OEM struts, and as soon as I drove away on the new springs I could feel the difference. The ride's firmer, more planted, less roll. And not harsh at all - my significant other definitely would let me know otherwise.

Stock:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=80788

With Dinan Springs:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=84943

With 10mm Rear Spring Spacer:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post29942805

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRoofTDI View Post
Does anyone have any information on the Dinan Springs? I only ask because I have an EDC car, and hear the Dinan Springs work with their EDC tuning software.
I hear it’s about 1” drop all around.

That being said, my F31 is a diesel, and after spending 30 minutes in the phone with Dinan, they only “officially” offer them for the F31 328ix (gas) cars, because diesel testing isn’t worth their time/$.

I figure if I want to keep my EDC, this would be the best avenue given the weight of the diesel car vs. gas is negligible; however, any and all insight would be appreciated!
2004 B5.5 Volkswagen Passat GLS Wagon | Northern Green | 5-Speed Manual (sold - 2016)
BMW CCA | National Capital Chapter since 2019 - SCCA | Washington DC Region since 2021
Appreciate 2
      05-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #223
LongRoofTDI
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagonHo View Post
I'm running those Dinan springs on my 2019 Touring. I love them. They lower the car evenly about 1" all 'round, which after 1 year wasn't my favorite look. The smaller rear wheel arch makes it look a little lower in the rear than the front. Added 10mm spring spacers in the rear, and solved that. Personal taste and all that.

Other than that, the ride is great, everything works with the OEM struts, and as soon as I drove away on the new springs I could feel the difference. The ride's firmer, more planted, less roll. And not harsh at all - my significant other definitely would let me know otherwise.

Stock:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=80788

With Dinan Springs:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=84943

With 10mm Rear Spring Spacer:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post29942805
You’re the man! Thanks for the info.

The rear arch concern is exactly why I was/am hesitant.

Tbh, I think I may go for a full EDC-friendly coilovers setup, AKA Bilstein B16s lol.

I’ve heard good things…
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 10:52 AM   #224
RobbE30
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, E92

Just wanted to follow-up ...

I installed the Eibach '14' springs, Koni SA shocks & struts, and powerflex black bushings up front. I ordered the PF Purple but learned they ship black for the F30/F31 because the Purple isn't that much of a difference than stock. I was worried they'd be too much, but they're not.

The car is PERFECT! It should have come this way from the factory. Not at all harsh let alone too harsh. Every aspect of handling is spot on with exactly where I was hoping it to be.

Very, very glad I did this upgrade, and thanks to all for the guidance.
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2023, 10:12 PM   #225
brinkman1024
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328d xDrive Wagon

I drive a 2016 BMW 328d xDrive wagon. I have the standard suspension, but have purchased Koni Active shocks and struts. I am looking for Eibach springs to lower the car a very small amount and to reduce the rake (wheel gap is higher in the front). I am aware of three different Eibach springs for my car:

1. E10-20-031-14-22
2. E10-20-031-15-22
3. E10-20-031-17-22

Can anyone here help me understand the difference between these three options? Or, at least tell me which of these will lower my car the least amount? I’m having trouble locating E10-20-031-14-22, so I will consider the other two options if I can understand how they are different.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 05:52 AM   #226
RobbE30
Rep

Hey Brinkman,

I got my "14's" from Rally World on ebay, here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/18374993769...gAAOSw0F9bjQ0P.

I'm not familiar with the 17's, but from what I understand the 14's and 15's lower the same amount, but 15's have a lower spring rate with the potential to bottom out more than the 14's.

The Koni's come with a black rubber spacer/washer that when used will raise the rear slightly and eliminate the perceived negative rake ... as viewed by wheel gap. I didn't use it as I like the car level viewed from the rocker panel / skirts. The 14's lower it such that the wheel gap difference isn't noticeable anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 07:30 AM   #227
brinkman1024
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbE30 View Post
Hey Brinkman,

I got my "14's" from Rally World on ebay, here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/18374993769...gAAOSw0F9bjQ0P.

I'm not familiar with the 17's, but from what I understand the 14's and 15's lower the same amount, but 15's have a lower spring rate with the potential to bottom out more than the 14's.

The Koni's come with a black rubber spacer/washer that when used will raise the rear slightly and eliminate the perceived negative rake ... as viewed by wheel gap. I didn't use it as I like the car level viewed from the rocker panel / skirts. The 14's lower it such that the wheel gap difference isn't noticeable anyway.
Thanks RobbE30. I've ordered then cancelled the "14s" twice, from different eBay vendors. They all say "in stock" when in fact everything is on back order from Eibach. Availability looks to be sometime in September, which is why I am looking for an alternative (but only if the alt is the same/similar). I don't want to be bottoming out — so thanks for that info.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 07:39 AM   #228
brinkman1024
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkman1024 View Post
Thanks RobbE30. I've ordered then cancelled the "14s" twice, from different eBay vendors. They all say "in stock" when in fact everything is on back order from Eibach. Availability looks to be sometime in September, which is why I am looking for an alternative (but only if the alt is the same/similar). I don't want to be bottoming out — so thanks for that info.
Ok, here we go. According to information posted by that seller on eBay, the difference is in the max load for the front springs:

The 14s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 965 kg / 1300 kg
The 15s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 1010 kg / 1300 kg
The 17s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 1095 kg / 1300 kg

All three options will lower the car by the same amount front 30mm & rear 15mm, but I suppose that depends on matching the front load rating of the springs with the actual front load of the car, which must be dependent on the engine choice. e.g., 4 cyl vs 6 cyl (in Europe).

Last edited by brinkman1024; 07-21-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2023, 07:45 AM   #229
RobbE30
Rep

Yeah, I went through the same gyrations - ordered and cancelled a few times but ultimately ordered from them. I don't think any of them actually stock them hence the lead time.

I had the rates reversed, and for some reason remember someone commenting about bottoming out on the 15's (earlier in this thread). Anyway I've had no issues with bottoming out with 14's and if anything the biggest noticeable difference for me has been the lack of nose dive when braking (over stock).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 01:01 PM   #230
azahansky
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i SportWagon Luxury Lin

Replacement Suspension - F31

The suspension on my 2014 328i X Drive SportWagon has about 115k miles and should probably be replaced.
What's a good replacement kit for daily driving? I'd like more response, maybe a little bit lower but not too stiff or harsh of a ride. Also, what else should be replaced while I'm in there? As far as I know, everything is original but in great shape - no apparent wear, clunking, uneven tire wear, etc..

there's lots of options, just wanted to know what you all thought and what has worked for you in the past
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 10:29 AM   #231
GPhilly
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 330i Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiNiSon View Post
This is a great thread.. thanks for all the super detailed info.. I have a 2015 F31 that's coming up for new shoes as well as new suspension.. been thinking of going a little mad max though. Small lift, 16's with some more country road than road tires? I have seen one or two that were done (with lift by spacers...) has anyone else gone up instead of down?
Did you find any more resources on this? I am looking to do the same thing.

I want to use the 30mm spacer kit from Rising Tuning but I have the adaptive suspension. Not sure the compatibility... I contacted the 1 guy on instagram who lifted his 328d but he had standard suspension.

My concern is that I wont have enough clearance to run 225/55/18's without the lift. I confirmed with him no issues rubbing lock to lock.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 11:15 PM   #232
brinkman1024
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Ok, here we go. According to information posted by that seller on eBay, the difference is in the max load for the front springs:

The 14s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 965 kg / 1300 kg
The 15s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 1010 kg / 1300 kg
The 17s - Maximum Load Front/Rear: 1095 kg / 1300 kg

All three options will lower the car by the same amount front 30mm & rear 15mm, but I suppose that depends on matching the front load rating of the springs with the actual front load of the car, which must be dependent on the engine choice. e.g., 4 cyl vs 6 cyl (in Europe).
Everything is installed on my 328d non-MSport. The Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Michelin Pilot Sport, and the BMW 442M wheels rides better than the stock 18s with run-flats! Super happy, and the car sits just right.

Attached Images

Appreciate 3
BMW BRAD204.00
moppity94.50
triax37130.00
      01-21-2024, 07:04 PM   #233
SirMeatPants
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambo622 View Post
So glad I found this thread. I'm trying to pick springs for my F31 and this is a great rollup of the latest options.

Eibach - see that there are two different kits available that all cost the same and both have the same 15mm front/30mm rear drop. Is the -15 really lower than the -14, given that the specs are the same? The load on the 15 is higher (1010kg vs 965kg) - wouldn't that mean it's actually the higher of the two?

E10-20-031-14-22
E10-20-031-15-22
Bring this thread back from the dead. Aha

Doing my homework on spring’s and confused about the exact same thing. Anyone clarify how the higher load rating is described in this thread as “easier to bottom out”. Shouldn’t the -15- spring result in less lowering since it can handle more front axle weight?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 08:34 PM   #234
youngosbourne
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328ix Touring

Quote:
Everything is installed on my 328d non-MSport. The Koni shocks, Eibach springs, Michelin Pilot Sport, and the BMW 442M wheels rides better than the stock 18s with run-flats! Super happy, and the car sits just right.

brinkman - which Eibachs did you end up going with, the 14s? Curious if that max load was correct for your 328d.
      02-12-2024, 11:15 PM   #235
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I'd recommend the E10-20-031-15-22 kit over the E10-20-031-14-22. The E10-20-031-14-22 front spring is just about a half inch shorter (10-13mm). I didn't like how often I scraped with the E10-20-031-15-22 kit. Brand new dampers might give him a bit more ride height than broken in ones (Bilsteins definitely require some break in).
Posting this to answer the question on -14 vs -15. I think -15 will sit a bit higher - why he recommended it in posts on page 4. I just think he mistyped the part number when describing scraping. If he typed -14 in that sentence, all of the other posts make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 03:46 AM   #236
vcx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Hello guys,

Just a quick review of my last chassis upgrade.

For the record, I have a 340 xdrive sedan, with adaptative suspensions. I already installed VAC monoballs front control arms, which were great to give more feeling in the steering wheel and more responsive/sharper turns.

Recently, I installed Eibach springs (06.22 version, as I didn't want to go very low), H&R sway bars, and a f-32 V-brace and f-80 reinforcement plate under the chassis.

As all those mods were installed at the same time, the effect of each component is harder to distinguish but, as expected, here is what I found:

-less squat and nose dive during acceleration/braking ;

-almost no harshness add, a pleasant surprise (thank to adaptative suspension ?) ;

-much less body roll in corners, the car keeps cornering flat and is much more confidence inspiring. Combined with the more rigid chassis, it almost looks like you could take any turn at any speed without losing control!

Even my girlfriend, who knows nothing about cars, notice how cornering have been improved, when she drove the car.

-car is more composed and flex less when climbing on a sidewalk or things like that.

-visually, the difference is not very noticeable. Maybe the springs will set up and go a bit lower next weeks, we will see, but if one wants a low-rider look, this won't be enough.

Overall, I 100% recommend these mods, as they are relatively cheap and bring a lot of improvement to the soft-floating chassis of the f30 xdrive.

Many thanks for the interesting imputs found on this forum, that helped me chose the right components !

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07

Last edited by vcx; 02-17-2024 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
moppity94.50
      02-21-2024, 03:43 AM   #237
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Just to add my tupenceworth in here

I've just done a full suspension overhaul on my RWD F31 here in the UK; went with Bilstein B4S shocks (correct ones for M Sport) and Eibach pro-kit springs all round

These; partnered with a mix of TRW, Lemforder & Moog arms; alongside all new Sachs top mounts all round, and OEM BMW spring pads/gaskets/bump stops/dust boots etc

The ride has lowered slightly but given me an even wheel/arch gap all round; firmed up the ride a touch, but with much better springs/dampers than original 2015 parts. The ride is superb; no bounce on rough roads, the 'loose rear end' has gone and it takes bends/roundabouts so much better now

The upgrades & build are in my build thread; see sig link below. It's on the last few pages
moppity94.50
WagonHo553.50
BMW BRAD204.00
      04-25-2024, 04:17 PM   #238
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Q: for those that replaced OEM adaptive shocks/struts with Koni SA, did you replace your front strut mounts? If so, what front strut mount (and part number) did you use? My OEM adaptive suspension uses a 6-bolt front strut mount, but I'm not sure what the Koni will require. Is changing those mounts necessary or advised? I'm at 80k miles, no squeaks from what I can tell. Thanks!
Appreciate 0