F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > ATLBlue's 2014 F30 and 2017 F36 Journal
GetBMWParts

02-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #419
FeelinBlessed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i AW MPPSK/Track

Garage List
2017 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinBlessed View Post
Someone mentioned that condensation in headlights and brake lights are normal for bmws? I was like wth? really? really doesn't make sense to me
I agree with you that it is BS and taking a look at all the other bimmers on the parking lot, mine was the only one with the issue.
I recall that after the last snowfall, I popped up the hatch door to get my snow brush and when the lid went up, a whole bunch of snow slid off the lid and went right into and around the trunk itself. I suspect that this may have resulted in water finding its way in the taillights and now condensing. Removing the seal, using a blow dryer to get rid of the water/condensation and reseal should be straightforward and quicker than arguing with the stealership.
I will give it a try and if it does not work, I will file a warranty claim...
Good luck!
      02-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #420
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 EBII F36 430d M Sport

Condensation problem solved

I removed my taillights as planned today (very easy, no more than 10 minutes per side), removed the light bulbs and let a hair dryer run for a good 20 minutes. There are 2 'holes' for the light bulbs, so it is fairly easy to blow hot air through one and let the air escape through the other...

I remain convinced it all goes back to a bad design by BMW: looking at the pictures of the car with the seals and lights removed, you can se there has been plenty of water under the seals and behind the taillights. There is no surprise then to have water infiltration and condensation. The water would -probably- have evaporated, but it would certainly have taken a few weeks of warm weather and the inside surface of the taillights could have been stained after so long.

I find this somewhat disappointing. I would expect this type of issue on an Italian or French car, not on a bimmer. I will make sure to share my pics and experience with my Stealership who found it perfectly normal...
      02-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #421
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Turbine Wheels are gone!

I finally got rid of my 'Turbine wheels' and got them replaced by AEZs, still in 18" to use the Sottozeros that came with the winter kit.

At the same time, I got Michelin Pilot Super Sports mounted on my 19" 403M rims to be ready when I go back to my summer wheels in a month or so

Very happy with the result, but of course I am biased...

PS: for our Belgian friends, very good service from 'Alain Pneus' in Wavre. They also have a shop in Brussels and the manager is an F32 owner and enthusiast so we are in known territory
      02-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #422
thatg20guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Garage List
Those wheels look sweet!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #423
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatf30guy View Post
Those wheels look sweet!
Thanks!
      02-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #424
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Ooops, I did it again

I know, it is tacky, but I installed the door logo projectors on the F36 too

02-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #425
FeelinBlessed
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Ooops, I did it again

It is tacky... and I want one
      02-20-2017, 03:41 PM   #426
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinBlessed View Post
It is tacky... and I want one
LOL! I had bought a Chinese one on eBay for my F30 and it was more or less OK (the connector was not a 100% fit) but I had to fix it a couple of months later with a bit of tape because it was rattling. This time I just got one from the dealership...
      02-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #427
FeelinBlessed
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
LOL! I had bought a Chinese one on eBay for my F30 and it was more or less OK (the connector was not a 100% fit) but I had to fix it a couple of months later with a bit of tape because it was rattling. This time I just got one from the dealership...
oem ftw!
      03-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #428
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

More wheels and tires...

OK, it is only March 2nd and I should normally wait a few more weeks to go back to summer tires, but since the weather forecast shows temperatures ranging from mid 40s to mid 50s for the next 2 weeks, I decided to swap my wheels yesterday and am back on my 19" OEM... with Pilot Super Sports that were mounted on the rims a few weeks ago. As previously experienced on my F30, the difference between the OEM runflats and the Michelins is night and day. Smoother & quieter while at the same time providing more accuracy and road feel

Also got the car cleaned and took a few pics...

Nothing special, just nice Michelin PSSs, already a bit dirty

03-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #429
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Did not notice until I saw this picture how urgent it was to reinstall the spacers at the rear...
With the car lowered, they are not really needed at the front anymore (and they could cause some rubbing). And 10mm will be enough at the rear.
      06-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #430
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

First time at Spa...

I have not found much time to post lately (nor to take good care of my ride), but my better half had the fantastic idea to register me for one of Spa-Francorchamps' Public Driving Experience days today.

I will post more info about how the F36 performed (surprisingly well in fact), about the track... and the many differences between the trackday formats I have been used to in the US and how things were organised today

Meanwhile, enjoy -if you like it- this short video. Sorry, I had to use a soundtrack once again since the wind noise is much more audible than my engine or exhaust sound.

06-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #431
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

A few thoughts after a trackday at Spa

Time for some impressions after my first trackday 1) with the F36, 2) in Europe & 3) in Spa

F36 430d on the track

Overall, I was positively surprised. This was a 'Public Driving Experience' day and I had no intention of breaking any record. The only modifications to the car are:
-a new engine tune. I replaced the first one that was only increasing the boost by another piggy back using 4 different parameters and that is far more linear. The car feels pretty much like a 2WD 435d (if it existed).
-Eibach springs (combined with the OEM M-adaptive suspension), F80/82 front lower control arms
-Michelin PSS tires

Taking a diesel-powered car to the track was a whole new experience for me. It behaves as expected: the strong torque helps you rebuilding speed after having to shave some for whatever reason (traffic, turn...) and you can then keep up with serious sportscars. The story is of course different in a long straight where you can not achieve the same top speeds as you would with an engine running on gas. I could only get up to 210 km/h (131 mph) at the end of the Kimmel straight and I bet my F30 would have finished 10 mph faster at that point. Still, the car does not feel slow by any means. It will stay ahead of most hot hatches (only a new Golf R managed to run at the same pace) and sportscars driven in a more 'conservative' manner. When you see a GT3 in your rear view mirror (which never lasts very long), do not fight it, you are not in the same league
One merit of Diesel engines is their frugality: it is the first time I do 4 x 30 minutes sessions with less than one tank Not that you care about how much gas you burn at the track, you will save the planet another day.

The combination of the M-adaptive suspension with Eibach springs does a very good job and I did not feel that I would really need coilovers or bigger sway bars
for an occasional trackday. The car remains sufficiently flat in turns, stable in long straights or sweepers and remarkably planted at Eau Rouge and the Raidillon. The only downside is the (very) heavy front weight you feel in tight corners and hairpins (La Source, Rivage ,Chicane). This is the only time you feel frustrated.

The brakes were the original OEM MPerformance setup and I did not get stainless steel lines, neither replace the fluid with one that has a higher boiling point and left the standard pads. I was surprised not to experience any fading in spite of the weight of the car but I was not as aggressive on the brakes as I usually am either. Should I take the car back to the track, I would probably go for these minor upgrades to be on the safe side.

Trackday in Europe

I should not generalise by any means after just one trackday, that was in addition only a 'Public Driving Experience', but there was no tech inspection, everybody ran solo whether you were a veteran or it was your first time, the safety briefing (in French only supported by a few slides in English) did not last more than 10 minutes, there were no point by's (but marshals do an excellent job of warning slow cars that they are obstructing or are going to get passed) and you drive with the windows up. Having been educated following much stricter rules in the US, I was surprised (an understatement) but always felt safe. Guys in GT3s, Radicals or KTMs were very skilled and did a good job passing you flat out without ever scaring you off.
Trackdays with other groups have probably stricter rules but still more lax than Stateside I think.

Spa-Francorchamps

This track was on my bucket list for a while and finally driving Eau Rouge was a blast. The track is a nice blend of speed and technical turns, elevation changes, is well maintained, has proper run-offs etc. Based on my own -limited- experience, I would put it in the same category as VIR or Road Atlanta, but with better amenities.
I will definitely need to do the 'ring some time soon (even though I have the feeling it is a bit over rated and that with the length of the track, you need a lot more practice to do a half decent job).

While I am still looking with no hurry for a suitable week-end/track car (I just missed a nice Cayman S opportunity), I will probably take the F36 a few more times to Spa since the fun factor more than justifies it

Last edited by ATLBlue; 06-08-2017 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #432
ssuene93
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: '16 F80

Quote:
I have not found much time to post lately (nor to take good care of my ride), but my better half had the fantastic idea to register me for one of Spa-Francorchamps' Public Driving Experience days today.

I will post more info about how the F36 performed (surprisingly well in fact), about the track... and the many differences between the trackday formats I have been used to in the US and how things were organised today

Meanwhile, enjoy -if you like it- this short video. Sorry, I had to use a soundtrack once again since the wind noise is much more audible than my engine or exhaust sound.

It is a great video. Thanks for sharing!
2009 E93 335i (ED June 2009) - Retired
2008 E60 535i (ED March 2008) - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:35 AM   #433
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Thank You!

This journal just got 100,000 views. Thanks for your many comments and feedback. Somehow, I needed to find a way to celebrate... (see next post )
      06-28-2017, 03:06 AM   #434
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

New toy

I have been thinking for a while about getting a week-end/track toy but could not make up my mind. Should I keep modding the F36, but it is leased and will always remain a 'large' car? I had tons of fun with it at Spa -like I did with my F30 on racetracks in the US- but would like something a bit more playful.

I thought at length about an E36 or E46 M3, an F20 build... but still have one I can drive stateside and was very tempted to get myself a Porsche again.
I got over the fact that the Porsche scene is a bit too posh and 'show-offish' in Belgium and went for something that would not break the bank (especially the day I wreck it on the track).

I pulled the trigger on a good condition 2006 Cayman S with a bit less that 60,000 miles that I checked and test drove extensively. It certainly does not have the torque of the (chipped) F36 430D and may even be a bit slower in a drag race, but the road and steering feel is fantastic. I am looking forward to pick it up this Saturday and will report first impressions... even if it is not a Bimmer I hope you will forgive me!

08-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #435
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Back online after almost 2 months...

I will plead guilty: I wasted the last 2 months spending way more time playing with my week end Cayman S than posting about bimmers. Shame on me

Meanwhile, I have been in petrolhead heaven: depending on my mood, weather, distance to cover or whatever other reason, I could either go on a very effective & comfortable trip with the F36 or a more involving -sometimes exhausting- one with the Porsche.

The best place to experience the difference between both cars was definitely the track and I took the Cayman to Spa-Francorchamps during the first week of August. As expected, it behaved very differently from the F36: as sharp as a scalpel in the turns, but lacking the massive torque to re-launch the car if you had to use the brakes for whatever reason. In the end, there is no doubt that the Porsche is better and more fun on the track (...while the bimmer is faster and better suited for the autobahn) and it was running more than 10 seconds faster than the F36 without pushing too much.

This being all said, I was happy to see that there was another F36 owner (chipped F36 435i I think) at the track the same day, and, while I eventually passed him -keeping in mind DEs are not races-, the BMW did more than hold its rank: the owner had good fun and no problem to keep up with the pack.

Here is a short video where I follow the F36 for one lap around Spa:

In conclusion, no need to invest in a sports coupe -unless you caught the virus- you can definitely have fun with your daily BMW. It may not be designed for the track, but, like I experienced myself before, it does pretty well
      08-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #436
Vinboyblue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335

You have the most interesting thread on this entire forum Be sure to post some pics of the Cayman and the mods you're doing. I think eventually I'll be getting a Porsche, I love the look of the 991 4s, but wouldn't mind settling for a 997.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #437
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

I did not realise it had been almost a year since I last posted !
Not much has happened in the meantime to be honest (except for driving and enjoying my cars)... until 2 weeks ago.

Leaving for the office on a Friday morning, I put my bag in the trunk, dropped my coat on the backseat and then opened the driver's door to see this

No more steering wheel, display or satnav
The rest of the car was intact. I asked the guys at the dealership how the thieves managed to break into the car without any damage or making the alarm go off and they told me they probably used a scanner to record the signal of my remote. It still seems strange to me since I thought the car locking system was using some kind of rolling code to prevent this type of hack.

The cops did not look surprised at all and while none of my neighbours ever got the same issue and the area where I live is very safe, there are multiple gangs currently operating around the city and targeting BMWs, Merci and Audis. The demand for high end trim (M steering wheel, large display satnav etc.), especially on the 'export' market, seems to be strong enough to lead to some form of organised crime.

I got my car back two days ago and it is like new, but I am not sure how to prevent this from happening again It is a company car and it will not cost me a penny, but the bill sent by BMW to the leasing company will be in excess of $7,500
      07-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #438
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

wow, that's pretty crazy. did you have any personal belongings in there? glad no one was hurt, but it's amazing what these thieves are capable of now a days.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #439
ATLBlue
Car OCD
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
wow, that's pretty crazy. did you have any personal belongings in there? glad no one was hurt, but it's amazing what these thieves are capable of now a days.
Surprisingly enough, it was done very 'professionally': nothing broken or damaged, no personal belongings stolen, etc.
The thieves were clearly focused on stealing what they wanted as effectively and quickly as possible and without damaging the stolen goods. In a sense this is also reassuring since they probably did not want to run into each other more than we did...
      07-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #440
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:
Ooops, I did it again

It might be "tacky" but really, who wouldn't want that?
Appreciate 0