F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Active Blind Spot Detection(Lane Change Warning) Retrofit
Studio RSR

02-27-2024, 02:22 AM   #155
Robibig
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 Alpine White

I've just done this retrofit in my f36 (2016). After coding I have yellow SWW in ISTA and fault memory appears as follow "HC2_01 HC2-01-HC2 0x481C85 SWW: programming data faulty". Both sensor are used items (2016).
What should I do to solve the problem?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:34 AM   #156
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F48 X1 xDrive 18D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robibig View Post
I've just done this retrofit in my f36 (2016). After coding I have yellow SWW in ISTA and fault memory appears as follow "HC2_01 HC2-01-HC2 0x481C85 SWW: programming data faulty". Both sensor are used items (2016).
What should I do to solve the problem?

Thank you!
Need to Flash the correct i-step
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 02:41 AM   #157
Robibig
Rep

Do you mean of updating HC modules via e-sys, using TAL Calculating etc.?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 03:28 AM   #158
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Yes, there is a PDF file here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/f...-guide.811347/

Maybe injecting CAFD is enough but I would have flashed it so you eliminate possible corrupted wrong SW. Modules can be different i-steps so won’t need to update whole car. Only the faulty ECUs and pick a i-step close to your current one if e-sys doesn’t show the exact one you have.

Last edited by mrpingu; 02-27-2024 at 03:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 04:11 AM   #159
Robibig
Rep

I tried to inject other CAF from my list, but it doesn't cure problem. So, I should flash HC module. Thank you for answering.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 01:22 PM   #160
Siki78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30,G30

Did you VO code all necessary module FEM, HU_CIC/NBT, ICM, KOMBI, and AHM(if present)?
      02-28-2024, 12:34 PM   #161
Robibig
Rep

All modules were coded with VO.

e-sys 3.40.2

As soon as I start to calculate Tal, error pops up, any idea?

WARN events:
"[DME_BAC3 - 12] Warning 2270, Error while checking if ECU
supports delete SWE: job failed with negative response error:
code: service returned global negative response
description: Service RDBI_ESDS returned a negative response
with response code requestOutOfRange: LinkName:
DME_BAC3 12 ETHERNET
severity: ERROR
(Exception: null) " [C382]

Problem solved, I've just bought another two radar sensors that replaced previous, and current it's working finally. :-)

Last edited by Robibig; 03-06-2024 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 03:40 AM   #162
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Got delayed with finishing up the blind spot install. But just to plan ahead, did anyone have any issues calibrating the radars? I watched the official BMW video and obviously I will not be able to have any of the specialized tools they used. So what things should consider? Make sure there are no reflective items (or any items) behind/near the car while doing the calibrating routine in ISTA+?

04-04-2024, 06:16 AM   #163
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Got delayed with finishing up the blind spot install. But just to plan ahead, did anyone have any issues calibrating the radars? I watched the official BMW video and obviously I will not be able to have any of the specialized tools they used. So what things should consider? Make sure there are no reflective items (or any items) behind/near the car while doing the calibrating routine in ISTA+?

Why would you initiate the calibration procedure without the BMW tools or aftermarket equivalent?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 07:47 AM   #164
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
Why would you initiate the calibration procedure without the BMW tools or aftermarket equivalent?
Because the radar sensors would have been just installed and added to the flex ray and part of that process is calibration.

If you watch the video, I doubt there is an aftermarket equivalent out there. So my question is: is there a particular way to do the calibration or it works itself out somehow?
      04-04-2024, 08:31 AM   #165
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Because the radar sensors would have been just installed and added to the flex ray and part of that process is calibration.

If you watch the video, I doubt there is an aftermarket equivalent out there. So my question is: is there a particular way to do the calibration or it works itself out somehow?
I would just try without first, no one in this thread mentioned anything about it being necessary. Video is also very recent so it may only apply to newer vehicles.

Flexray initialization is often separate procedure in ISTA

In worst case you have to go to the dealer and ask them to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:32 AM   #166
mhhforyou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 420da

Garage List
2014 BMW 420da  [0.00]
At the F3x no calibration needed anymore. in 2012 and before the FRR needs calibration but with later isteps dont. The SWW Radar never needed calibration.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 11:12 AM   #167
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Are you confusing flexray initialization with radar calibration?

There are aftermarket solutions to calibrate the front facing radar for ACC, so I imagine there are the same for blind spot radars.
      04-04-2024, 12:17 PM   #168
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

There are aftermarket solutions to calibrate the front facing radar for ACC, so I imagine there are the same for blind spot radars.
Yeah, that would make sens.. So probably you are right there.

Flexray is like canbus and linbus, in other words a communication protocol.
Radar is a whole different technology and has also a very different use.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 12:47 PM   #169
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

No, not confusing Flex Ray initialization with sensor calibration. Read the first page? The OP mentions radar sensor initialization right after the second flex Ray initialization. Wondering if the sensor initialization was actually sensor calibration.
      04-04-2024, 12:56 PM   #170
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Yeah, that would make sens.. So probably you are right there.

Flexray is like canbus and linbus, in other words a communication protocol.
Radar is a whole different technology and has also a very different use.
I have done flex Ray initialization in ISTA. Not a substitute for sensor calibration. The sensors are clients on the flex Ray network. After adding them to the network and communication is established, the sensors have to be baseline calibrated to their current environment in the bumper. Then they must “know” which signals and reflections they must discriminate and which ones to ignore based on the direction and density of objects in their paths.

Apparently, if nobody here had any issues with the radar sensors properly detecting objects after installation, then, as long as you have installed the radars properly in their holding brackets, the sensors receive a default value during calibration, which seems to work.
      04-04-2024, 01:48 PM   #171
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
No, not confusing Flex Ray initialization with sensor calibration. Read the first page? The OP mentions radar sensor initialization right after the second flex Ray initialization. Wondering if the sensor initialization was actually sensor calibration.
OP never mentions calibration, I’m just confused where you got the idea that a special calibration sequence was required for this retrofit? Furthermore, you mentioned doing the calibration procedure without proper equipment, which would undoubtedly be worse than leaving as-is.
      04-04-2024, 02:12 PM   #172
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OP never mentions calibration, I’m just confused where you got the idea that a special calibration sequence was required for this retrofit? Furthermore, you mentioned doing the calibration procedure without proper equipment, which would undoubtedly be worse than leaving as-is.
Did you do this DIY? If you did this DIY then I got my answer: no need to worry about the calibration environment.

The OP says radar sensor initialization. What does that mean for you? For me it means the sensors are given a signal detection signature baseline. Just like when you initialize (calibrate) your windows roll up/down. Have you done one of those? What do you think that accomplishes?

Have you ever done radar sensor calibration of your PIR security lights or house alarm? Very similar concept but simpler. There you adjust for the distance and direction and speed/size of object.

Clearly these sensors are to be calibrated as shown by the BMW factory training video. The question I would like to answer is if it’s something that can be done without the proper equipment and it still works as intended. If yes, the car has to be likely away from any radar reflective objects. Apparently, if people actually completed this DIY and experienced no issues after calibration then the BMW factory calibration procedure is an overkill.
      04-04-2024, 03:50 PM   #173
mrpingu
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Did you do this DIY? If you did this DIY then I got my answer: no need to worry about the calibration environment.

The OP says radar sensor initialization. What does that mean for you? For me it means the sensors are given a signal detection signature baseline. Just like when you initialize (calibrate) your windows roll up/down. Have you done one of those? What do you think that accomplishes?

Have you ever done radar sensor calibration of your PIR security lights or house alarm? Very similar concept but simpler. There you adjust for the distance and direction and speed/size of object.

Clearly these sensors are to be calibrated as shown by the BMW factory training video. The question I would like to answer is if it’s something that can be done without the proper equipment and it still works as intended. If yes, the car has to be likely away from any radar reflective objects. Apparently, if people actually completed this DIY and experienced no issues after calibration then the BMW factory calibration procedure is an overkill.
Do you have new or used modules?
I haven’t done this retrofit as I don’t own this particular car but could it be that initializing and calibration are 2 different things?
Anyway to be sure I would just initialize it on a empty parking lot or other empty space. I think it will be fine. This is just a thing you should try and find out instead of contemplating / prepare beforehand as this isn’t really a common procedure and requires extra equipment.

Like I said, in worst case you have to pay the dealer 1 or 2 hours of work But I don’t think you have to because otherwise more people would have talked about it here.
      04-04-2024, 04:00 PM   #174
rlesko
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2012 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes and yes that's correct you don't need to worry about calibration.

Quote:
I interpret this step to mean that the correct number of master/slaves are discovered on the FlexRay bus and can all communicate with each other accordingly. And that they are encoded correctly for the vehicle they are in.

Quote:

The video you linked maybe more applicable for G series cars given the date when posted and car under calibration. On F series cars I'm familiar with people carrying out a similar procedure for the front ACC radar. As far as aftermarket calibrations go, there is one solution I've seen called "ADAS", here is an example video
. My guess is that in accordance with right to repair laws that BMW must provide specification for all procedures including calibration, sort of like how an aftermarket scan tool can read codes, train, program new parts, etc.

Out of curiosity I poked around in ISTA and I did find something which hinted at SWW procedure but was unclear what it did, as it was greyed out since my car was not connected.
fe7565552.50
      04-04-2024, 04:35 PM   #175
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpingu View Post
Do you have new or used modules?
I haven’t done this retrofit as I don’t own this particular car but could it be that initializing and calibration are 2 different things?
Anyway to be sure I would just initialize it on a empty parking lot or other empty space. I think it will be fine. This is just a thing you should try and find out instead of contemplating / prepare beforehand as this isn’t really a common procedure and requires extra equipment.

Like I said, in worst case you have to pay the dealer 1 or 2 hours of work But I don’t think you have to because otherwise more people would have talked about it here.
Agree..An empty parking lot will probably be where I will do the final coding. And since nobody reported any issues here, should be fine.

Both of the raider sensors I have are used
      04-04-2024, 04:44 PM   #176
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The video you linked maybe more applicable for G series cars given the date when posted and car under calibration. On F series cars I'm familiar with people carrying out a similar procedure for the front ACC radar. As far as aftermarket calibrations go, there is one solution I've seen called "ADAS", here is an example video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urTCTB1i5vs. My guess is that in accordance with right to repair laws that BMW must provide specification for all procedures including calibration, sort of like how an aftermarket scan tool can read codes, train, program new parts, etc.

Out of curiosity I poked around in ISTA and I did find something which hinted at SWW procedure but was unclear what it did, as it was greyed out since my car was not connected.
Thank you for the additional information. If you have done it without any issues, I’m not concerned either.

Most likely since the sensors go in a certain way inside the brackets, they should be properly oriented anyway. And the software probably applies a standard programming that already has pre-calculated parameters. Maybe this calibration process is something they would do after an accident, but probably even then it’s an overkill.
mrpingu179.00