F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock 330i muffler modification
GetBMWParts

10-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Maxwagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Wagon

Stock 330i muffler modification

I saw a thread regarding the stock 335i muffler being cut open to be welded and gave me this idea. I thought it would be neat to keep the stock muffler sound level, but just mod the "flapped" portion of the exhaust canister so that it was louder only with the flap open, in sport mode or at higher throttle levels. Sort of a "have my fun, and not piss of my wife and neighbors" situation.

Has anyone tried this?
      10-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #2
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i THP M-Sport Tech Lig

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Yeah they sell something called an exhaust cut out valve, you can have them put it in your exhaust. It has a remote control so essentially you can open it and it gives you a muffler delete when you want.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Maxwagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMIAGI View Post
Yeah they sell something called an exhaust cut out valve, you can have them put it in your exhaust. It has a remote control so essentially you can open it and it gives you a muffler delete when you want.
Yeah I know, I'm talking about the valve that is already on the car. I'm wondering if someone has modified the "sporty" side of the pipe to be louder, when the valve is open.
      10-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i THP M-Sport Tech Lig

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwagen View Post
Quote:
Yeah I know, I'm talking about the valve that is already on the car. I'm wondering if someone has modified the "sporty" side of the pipe to be louder, when the valve is open.
Oh gotcha. Well I know the valves purpose is to warm up the catalytic converter. It closes at first I warm it up and then opens after. I just unplugged the valve on my 228i so it's permanently open.

As far as modifying it you might be able to do an exhaust cutout and then do a y pipe off of their to control it with the stock valve. If you have a Jb4 you can control the valve opening/closing. Seems like a lot of work tho IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
TechTurbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i XDrive

Quote:
Oh gotcha. Well I know the valves purpose is to warm up the catalytic converter. It closes at first I warm it up and then opens after. I just unplugged the valve on my 228i so it's permanently open.

As far as modifying it you might be able to do an exhaust cutout and then do a y pipe off of their to control it with the stock valve. If you have a Jb4 you can control the valve opening/closing. Seems like a lot of work tho IMO.
Are there known issues of always leaving the valve opened, say during cold weather? All I have read is it will introduce a little bit drone on low RPM range.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
Fronttwelv
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTurbo View Post
Are there known issues of always leaving the valve opened, say during cold weather? All I have read is it will introduce a little bit drone on low RPM range.
It wont harm anything. It stores a code but you don't get a CEL. And there is no drone with it open at low RPMs. It will pop in parking garages in Eco mode, manual mode in 1st gear.