F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Nav system updates $250?? Other options?
ARMA SPEED

10-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
jtpryan
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Question Nav system updates $250?? Other options?

Bought a 2015 328 from a dealer a few weeks ago. It had the nav system in it. As I'm sure people know, it basically sucks, voice input is useless, inputting an address is painful, etc. So I got to wondering if the system just needed the latest software/firmware update to improve it. My wife (her car) brought it in for a minor repair to something broken when we picked it up (taillight) but they didn't have the par at the time. She asked about the update and they said it was $250! Another shocker, I'd call it nickel and dimeing, but that would be way too nice. Plus, they didn't know if that was just maps or OS upgrades as well.

So I can buy a $100 GPS from TomTom and get free lifetime upgrades but a (originally) $47k car they jam you for $250? VERY disappointing. Glad I wasn't the sucker that shelled out the $2k to get this.

Enough whining, anybody know if there is a way to do and OTA update, or download one and use a flash drive for cheaper? Or do I just lean my phone up against the screen and let Google do it?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
TF3090
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

Download the BMW Connected app, it lets you send addresses directly from your phone to your car (google maps > click share > send to BMW Connected > send to car as message)

I haven't updated my navigation software, but 90% of the locations I send to my car work without issue (exceptions being if a major interstate or road is closed for construction)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That $250 will not buy you any more functionality on the nav system. It's just a software update for your car which would be done for free if you needed to service something. If you figure out something that you can complain about that they can use to update your car, they'll update your car. But again, it will do nothing to update your Nav. Generally speaking, carmakers don't add drastic new functionality to a car's nav after the initial release. They usually just add bugfixes and small enhancements to improve current functionality.

If you're having trouble with your system, have you tried using the handwriting capability to enter text and numbers? I find this works pretty well. Also, if you learn the various voice prompts, I find voice entry works very well. You just speak your destination and it finds it pretty well. You just have to speak concisely and put small pauses in between the street name and city and state.

There is an online software update you can download for free and update yourself:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html
But that just updates your media (USB, Bluetooth, Mobile Phone) software.

Map updates you can purchase for $50 from various 3rd party resellers (don't pay BMW for the map updates).
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
jtpryan
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Thanks, I'll try that. I have a call to the service rep. Now, they gave us a loaner. One of the SUV's, not sure of the year, but newer. So I got in this one and it worked great. I could hit the mike button, say navigate to (address) and bang, it started navigating to the right address. I'm sorry, but that is how a $2k nav should work. Mine will NOT do that. and no, I am not going to do the phone link thing. I have the app, I've done it. Yeah it works. But really? I can buy a freakin' Toyota and don't have to do that. They cannot bill themselves as a high end vehicle and then tell you to use your personal phone to make something work. Not acceptable.

But I do appreciate the replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF3090 View Post
Download the BMW Connected app, it lets you send addresses directly from your phone to your car (google maps > click share > send to BMW Connected > send to car as message)

I haven't updated my navigation software, but 90% of the locations I send to my car work without issue (exceptions being if a major interstate or road is closed for construction)
This only work if your still have subscription to BMW connected drive? Right?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
This only work if your still have subscription to BMW connected drive? Right?
Nope. Free. I use it daily and pay no subscription fees.
Appreciate 1
TF309057.00
      10-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpryan View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a call to the service rep. Now, they gave us a loaner. One of the SUV's, not sure of the year, but newer. So I got in this one and it worked great. I could hit the mike button, say navigate to (address) and bang, it started navigating to the right address. I'm sorry, but that is how a $2k nav should work. Mine will NOT do that. and no, I am not going to do the phone link thing. I have the app, I've done it. Yeah it works. But really? I can buy a freakin' Toyota and don't have to do that. They cannot bill themselves as a high end vehicle and then tell you to use your personal phone to make something work. Not acceptable.

To be clear some of the information in the above thread is incorrect.

1) BMW did not start giving free OTA updates until the NBT EVO System in Model Year 2016. Your 2015 does not qualify for any type of free nav database update.

2) Dealers do not give a free nav database updates for pre-2016 cars when you have other services. If one does, they are eating the costs as BMW charges them for a new FSC Key Code.

3) The FSC Key Code in your car determine what future navigation database will work in your car at no charge. In pre-2016 models, that is for the nav database installed in your car at the time it was built. The $250 is for a new FSC Key that allows the system to run the newer nav database.

4) one can find FSC Keycodes for their vehicle on the net for various prices as well as the map databases. To be clear, those are technically not legal 3rd Party sellers but pirated software which could potentially end up getting you in legal trouble for using copyrighted software and a stolen database.

Not saying to do or not do anything, just making sure you have the facts in your decisions.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #8
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
FWIW... I bought an FSC code for $50 which allowed to me download 2018 maps onto my 2014 iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
dvaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 E84 X1

I am looking at buying a 2017 X3 with Nav.

Those get free maps?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #10
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
I am looking at buying a 2017 X3 with Nav.

Those get free maps?
Based on what was said above... as long as it has Pro Nav - I would say yes.

Pretty sweet feature. It was a PITA to download and load my own maps. I think it was 25 GB of data... took weeks to actually accumulate all the files in my spare time.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Are you sure cause it uses the GSM sim (internet) to receive from map direction for your phone..?

Sorry for off topic....this my last question
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
Are you sure cause it uses the GSM sim (internet) to receive from map direction for your phone..?

Sorry for off topic....this my last question
Download the app and try it. Search for the following in your app store.

BMW Connected

Ive paid no fees whatsoever to use this app. Ive used it to locate my car multiple times, lock/unlock, cool down/ventilation in addition to the Send to iDrive feature mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Download the app and try it. Search for the following in your app store.

BMW Connected

Ive paid no fees whatsoever to use this app. Ive used it to locate my car multiple times, lock/unlock, cool down/ventilation in addition to the Send to iDrive feature mentioned above.
I have 2016 428i GC it comes with connected drive for free for 4 yrs/50k miles ....its not up yet like my warranty. I was reading its $99 a year after that....it include SoS button, connected drive app. So far that is what I know. Might have to ask a representative when the time comes
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #14
blankito
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpryan View Post

To be clear some of the information in the above thread is incorrect.

1) BMW did not start giving free OTA updates until the NBT EVO System in Model Year 2016. Your 2015 does not qualify for any type of free nav database update.

2) Dealers do not give a free nav database updates for pre-2016 cars when you have other services. If one does, they are eating the costs as BMW charges them for a new FSC Key Code.

3) The FSC Key Code in your car determine what future navigation database will work in your car at no charge. In pre-2016 models, that is for the nav database installed in your car at the time it was built. The $250 is for a new FSC Key that allows the system to run the newer nav database.

4) one can find FSC Keycodes for their vehicle on the net for various prices as well as the map databases. To be clear, those are technically not legal 3rd Party sellers but pirated software which could potentially end up getting you in legal trouble for using copyrighted software and a stolen database.

Not saying to do or not do anything, just making sure you have the facts in your decisions.
Exactly this.

I would say if you want to update the firmware, do it yourself with a USB stick. It is really easy to do. Just don't expect any major changes, it's mostly bug fixes but the dealership will still charge you at least an hour to do it.

For the maps, you won't get any new features, but you'll at least have the latest data. Pay 50$ online to get the code and do it yourself...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:40 PM   #15
bmweston
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Performance

That's rather odd. In at least my 2017 330i and I'm pretty sure my 2015 328i the navigation software updated automatically over the air. I don't think it did it in my 2013 320i.

I would be driving and it would ask me if it was ok to restart the system to apply the updates. Have you checked or waited to see if it updates over the air?

I didn't find the voice input too bad but the manual input was indeed rather brutal.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #16
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweston View Post
That's rather odd. In at least my 2017 330i and I'm pretty sure my 2015 328i the navigation software updated automatically over the air. I don't think it did it in my 2013 320i.

I would be driving and it would ask me if it was ok to restart the system to apply the updates. Have you checked or waited to see if it updates over the air?

I didn't find the voice input too bad but the manual input was indeed rather brutal.
The map updates are loaded OTA. That’s what’s happening when when it asks to restart. I don’t know about software updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:52 PM   #17
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:

A lot of the people on this forum modify their exhaust systems illegally to make them louder. I don’t think downloading illegal software is going to bother them.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Quote:

A lot of the people on this forum modify their exhaust systems illegally to make them louder. I don't think downloading illegal software is going to bother them.
And many speed.

The fines for pirating software under the digital rights laws are MUCH more severe than a speeding or noise ticket including BOTH Criminal and Civil Penalties. The United States Copyright Act holds someone guilty of illegal reproduction of software subject to civil damages of up to $100,000 per title infringed, and criminal penalties, including fines of as much as $250,000 per title infringed and imprisonment of up to five years.

Will you get caught? Who knows what will happen especially when car is connected up to computer at Dealer.

As stated, all BMW owners are adults and can make their own decisions, but they also deserve all the facts in making that decision, especially with incorrect and misleading info in thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 05:12 AM   #19
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My connected sub has expired and I can’t do anything like locate or unlock the car, he’ll when I have the phone in the car the connected bit doesn’t even recognise anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #20
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
And many speed.

The fines for pirating software under the digital rights laws are MUCH more severe than a speeding or noise ticket including BOTH Criminal and Civil Penalties. The United States Copyright Act holds someone guilty of illegal reproduction of software subject to civil damages of up to $100,000 per title infringed, and criminal penalties, including fines of as much as $250,000 per title infringed and imprisonment of up to five years.

Will you get caught? Who knows what will happen especially when car is connected up to computer at Dealer.

As stated, all BMW owners are adults and can make their own decisions, but they also deserve all the facts in making that decision, especially with incorrect and misleading info in thread.
The fines for messing with the emission system are probably higher. Just ask VW. But I really don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #21
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Quote:
And many speed.

The fines for messing with the emission system are probably higher. Just ask VW. But I really don't know.
If you do it Corporation wide breaking International law, yes.

That is not what we are discussing here so your post, except last line, is #FakeNews
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:00 PM   #22
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Just get a smartphone and use the Waze app
Appreciate 0