F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Online Entertainment / SOS Call System Failure
proTUNING Freaks

12-04-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Online Entertainment / SOS Call System Failure

A couple of days ago my Online Entertainment just randomly logged out. When I try to log back in it keeps telling me that I need an online connection to check for the rights already downloaded and it fails. In the past Deezer has had some wobbles so I just thought I'd give it a day or two to sort itself out.

This morning I got in the car and got the below error. Not good.

Anyone else had difficulties? I'm hoping there is some sort of BMW comms issue. If not looks like a trip to the dealers might be on the cards. Thank goodness I took out the extended warranty.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rhino at Work; 12-04-2020 at 04:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #2
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Sounds like an issue with the onboard SIM card. Can you do an Online search in the NAV screen?
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:37 AM   #3
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstein View Post
Sounds like an issue with the onboard SIM card. Can you do an Online search in the NAV screen?
Yes and other comms things do work e.g. after my trip this morning it has updated the map location for when I log onto connected drive. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:21 AM   #4
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

not the SIM then, very peculiar.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

I’ve had issues with online entertainment not registering my new voucher, called them today, they said they’ve had a country wide issue and was told to reboot my headunit and update the connected drive and it should fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #6
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

An update as it might help anyone else with the OE problem.

The SOS system failure error went away after a few days and hasn't returned. Strange.

The OE problem is still there. Connected drive have referred it to technical - they said it could take up to 6 weeks to resolve! It's been nearly 3 so far. I know of at least 1 other person, via the Deezer online community, who has the same problem.

I have found a workaround though. If when listening to a song on the radio you use the connected music command (or whatever it's called) to look up the song then once it's done that you can select one of the options (eg play album for track) and it will take you into OE and it can be used as normal from there but only for the rest of your journey. Once the car goes to sleep it forgets.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:37 AM   #7
OldGit21
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Hi Rhino.
I am having a very similar issue. I cannot use the OE, I get a message "An Online connection is required.****.check the rights for ** etc"
I have reset the idrive, reset the OE, Updated the BMW services but still cannot use the OE. BMW online are next to useless with their help, takes four days for a response, mine has been like this for around three weeks now. If I get an answer that works I will post it here, but please keep us updated in case yours is resolved first.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #8
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGit21 View Post
Hi Rhino.
I am having a very similar issue. I cannot use the OE, I get a message "An Online connection is required.****.check the rights for ** etc"
I have reset the idrive, reset the OE, Updated the BMW services but still cannot use the OE. BMW online are next to useless with their help, takes four days for a response, mine has been like this for around three weeks now. If I get an answer that works I will post it here, but please keep us updated in case yours is resolved first.
Will do. Hopefully my workaround works for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 04:51 AM   #9
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep

Mine started working a couple of days after Bmw Uk referred it to Germany, my main Deezer account wasn’t having it so had to set up a new one which got me up and running.
Deezer were useless they kept saying that Bmw doesn’t support Deezer anymore and the only way I could use Deezer was via carplay, I tried to explain the online entertainment but they were not having it!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #10
ar68
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
Mine started working a couple of days after Bmw Uk referred it to Germany, my main Deezer account wasn’t having it so had to set up a new one which got me up and running.
Deezer were useless they kept saying that Bmw doesn’t support Deezer anymore and the only way I could use Deezer was via carplay, I tried to explain the online entertainment but they were not having it!
I had an online chat with Deezer on the 21st about issues I was having with my online entertainment account subscription which they sorted at their end immediately.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #11
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar68 View Post
I had an online chat with Deezer on the 21st about issues I was having with my online entertainment account subscription which they sorted at their end immediately.
Must have had the new person 🤦*♂️
Appreciate 1
ar68149.00
      12-25-2020, 12:16 AM   #12
doomsday runner
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Comp & 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
A couple of days ago my Online Entertainment just randomly logged out. When I try to log back in it keeps telling me that I need an online connection to check for the rights already downloaded and it fails. In the past Deezer has had some wobbles so I just thought I'd give it a day or two to sort itself out.

This morning I got in the car and got the below error. Not good.

Anyone else had difficulties? I'm hoping there is some sort of BMW comms issue. If not looks like a trip to the dealers might be on the cards. Thank goodness I took out the extended warranty.
Mine auto logged out a few days ago also, when going back into online entertainment it was like i was having to sign up again. Managed to log back in though with username and password.
      01-22-2021, 02:52 AM   #13
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Just as an update the Online Entertainment "check the rights" issue finally seems to have been resolved and it's back to normal today.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #14
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any further thoughts on the SOS Call System Failure issue? My theory is that there's a back up battery for this system and as I only move the car for the weekly shop now, in this cold weather the battery is depleted and therefore the warning?

The first time I saw this warning was from a recent cold start. I ignored it and drove on, then decided to park up and pressed the button in the headlining to test. I got connected. So the warning was false, and the driving had charged the system battery sufficient to enable the call.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #15
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebloke View Post
Any further thoughts on the SOS Call System Failure issue? My theory is that there's a back up battery for this system and as I only move the car for the weekly shop now, in this cold weather the battery is depleted and therefore the warning?

The first time I saw this warning was from a recent cold start. I ignored it and drove on, then decided to park up and pressed the button in the headlining to test. I got connected. So the warning was false, and the driving had charged the system battery sufficient to enable the call.
That's an interesting theory and does actually fit with the fact that the fault has only showed up intermittently since I originally started this thread. I really haven't done many miles in that time.

I actually need to do some miles this coming week for work so will see if putting some juice back into the battery has any impact on whether or not the error keeps appearing.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #16
VidalBuffoon
Private
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport Plus

Quote:

I had the same issue with my 520D G31, once I started using the car on a regular basis the fault initially became less frequent until eventually it stopped altogether. Like you I assumed it was a charging issue.

The work involved in the G31 battery replacement involves stripping out all the headliner. I was pleased I cancelled the car going into the dealer as I may have ended up with rattles after the fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:55 AM   #17
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's an interesting theory and does actually fit with the fact that the fault has only showed up intermittently since I originally started this thread. I really haven't done many miles in that time.

I actually need to do some miles this coming week for work so will see if putting some juice back into the battery has any impact on whether or not the error keeps appearing.
Well that didn't work. I've done 60 plus miles over the last couple of days and the error is still there. Looks like a trip to the dealer is on the cards.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 06:44 AM   #18
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Well that didn't work. I've done 60 plus miles over the last couple of days and the error is still there. Looks like a trip to the dealer is on the cards.
Interesting. No SoS Call system Error for me this week!

This thread talks about a ACCUMULATOR (battery) issue:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/e...#post-13500845
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #19
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. No SoS Call system Error for me this week!

This thread talks about a ACCUMULATOR (battery) issue:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/e...#post-13500845
Done yet more googling and I think it must be the battery issue that I have. Seems like the battery can be either in the boot or hidden in the headlining behind the high level brake light. Of course for my 340i it's in the headlining isn't it!

I found a video of the fix but there's no way I'm going to be doing that! Hope to goodness it's covered by the extended warranty.

Appreciate 0