F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Wuhan Coronavirus - The second wave (Moderator: Non-political discussion only)
proTUNING Freaks

01-28-2021, 03:56 AM   #2795
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Medical conclusion, saline might work just as well as the vaccine. Tell Donald, he can share it with the world, oh hang on, he probably can’t.

More seriously, good information as always. Although I suspect windows open, and fans on, is more pleasant in Louisiana than Glasgow in January.

I'm watching the sleet dropping out of leaden skies as I type..... thinking it's maybe time to get the shorts on now it's warmed up a bit. Any recommendations for a gas-fired BBQ?
Appreciate 2
Nibbles856.00
KRS_SN13433.00
      01-28-2021, 03:58 AM   #2796
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Any recommendations for a gas-fired BBQ?
Oh yes......
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #2797
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
I know you have a bunch of good answers already, so I will just give you my feelings on the infectious disease side. The little ones seem to be really asymptomatic. When my 8 year old had it, I was really surprised as he didn't even have a runny nose. He gave it to his 13 yo sister and she had symptoms. But he did not give it to the rest of us. After the positive test we of course took precautions.

From my experience the little ones have the same viral load but don't seem to spread as easily unless they are really yelling. That matches what we encountered. The little fellow was frightened by a storm the night before we tested him. That evening he climbed into bed with us and slept most of the night in our bed and did not infect us. We tested him that next morning (it was our Thanksgiving holiday and we were testing our holiday dinner bubble). He also spent time in my car for 2-3 days before we tested him and I also was not infected. My 17 yo even picked him up one day from outdoor soccer camp and she didn't get it. Obviously once we found him positive, we quarantined and stoped all activities for 14 days (this was last fall so 14 days was the rule).

He gave it to his sister prior to our testing since they were home together during our fall break and were playing and fighting over video games. The 17 yo was home babysitting the whole time and she never got it.

We frequently tested so we tracked the whole infection course of both kids and verified that we were negative.

At that time only my 17 yo was vaccinated (she got the real virus in the trial, while my wife and I initially had the placebo).

Anyway, my feelings is have fun and enjoy the kids and if worried wear a mask. We all wore masks in the house during our "hot zone" adventure and kept the windows opened and fans moving air around. We did just fine.
Medical conclusion, saline might work just as well as the vaccine. Tell Donald, he can share it with the world, oh hang on, he probably can’t.

More seriously, good information as always. Although I suspect windows open, and fans on, is more pleasant in Louisiana than Glasgow in January.
Perhaps saline is the answer.....may along with the bleach injections.....but I am thinking that common sense and precautions may have had something to do with it. It was actually down right cold for us when my son and daughter were infected. In the low 40'sF. So we had a cold house and had to wear some layers in the house.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #2798
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm watching the sleet dropping out of leaden skies as I type..... thinking it's maybe time to get the shorts on now it's warmed up a bit. Any recommendations for a gas-fired BBQ?
Ok no sleet at that time. We did have a snow storm in 2021 though with 3" of snow. Very rare in Louisiana. As I was told "proves climate change is a hoax."
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #2799
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Ok no sleet at that time. We did have a snow storm in 2021 though with 3" of snow. Very rare in Louisiana. As I was told "proves climate change is a hoax."
Our 'temperate' Atlantic climate may mean no real extremes (we get occasionally "hot" summers with short periods > 25C, and occasionally very cold winters down to -10C) in Glasgow, but I think I'd rather have that than the heat & humidity of the Southern States.... or indeed the really cold winters in the North & Midwest for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #2800
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Our 'temperate' Atlantic climate may mean no real extremes (we get occasionally "hot" summers with short periods > 25C, and occasionally very cold winters down to -10C) in Glasgow, but I think I'd rather have that than the heat & humidity of the Southern States.... or indeed the really cold winters in the North & Midwest for that matter.
Yeah, I always enjoyed summer trips to Scotland for that reason. It was warm and comfortable but not excessively hot. We would spend time on the east side around Edinburgh where my then future wife's parents had a flat. Even 3 years ago when we went back to visit other family and did some sight seeing around much of the country, we started in Edinburgh (after a visit to London). We rented a flat just off the royal mile and it gave us a great starting point for our visit, before we headed north.

Like all places you get used to the climate. Everything is Air-conditioned and since there are pools every where the kids and parents can enjoy the weather. But yes summers are hot.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:36 PM   #2801
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Anyone have an opinion on these antibody tests you can buy from Bupa or Superdrug? How do they compare with the official/endorsed version?
The Superdrug one has a 1/500 chance of a positive test being false, and a 100% rate if it says you're negative. I thought that wasn't great (1/500) but my friend tells me that's actually as accurate as they come.
No requirement to do one other than curiosity following a flu bout last March which seemed like Covid!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 01:54 PM   #2802
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Anyone have an opinion on these antibody tests you can buy from Bupa or Superdrug? How do they compare with the official/endorsed version?
The Superdrug one has a 1/500 chance of a positive test being false, and a 100% rate if it says you're negative. I thought that wasn't great (1/500) but my friend tells me that's actually as accurate as they come.
No requirement to do one other than curiosity following a flu bout last March which seemed like Covid!
Pretty sure they don't work after such a long time. You have to get one within a couple of months to be sure. I probably had covid about the same time as your illness but an August test came up negative. Various doctors have since dismissed it based on my ongoing symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #2803
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
Quote:
Pretty sure they don't work after such a long time. You have to get one within a couple of months to be sure. I probably had covid about the same time as your illness but an August test came up negative. Various doctors have since dismissed it based on my ongoing symptoms.
Yes I read that there's that optimal period so I was a bit dismissive of doing it, but I had the results earlier and it came back as positive for the antibodies.
Could have of course had it asymptotically since March last year, otherwise that's a reassuringly long time. Assuming not a false positive of course.

Dismissed you having Covid or the test being any good?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:20 PM   #2804
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I read that there's that optimal period so I was a bit dismissive of doing it, but I had the results earlier and it came back as positive for the antibodies.
Could have of course had it asymptotically since March last year, otherwise that's a reassuringly long time. Assuming not a false positive of course.

Interesting. Good to know you have a degree of protection.

I meant they've dismissed the test result. Something has knackered my middle/inner ears and the docs think covid is the likely candidate. Apparently it's quite a common side effect and they haven't come up with an alternative explanation.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 03:51 PM   #2805
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting. Good to know you have a degree of protection.

I meant they've dismissed the test result. Something has knackered my middle/inner ears and the docs think covid is the likely candidate. Apparently it's quite a common side effect and they haven't come up with an alternative explanation.
Yes it's slightly reassuring, I'd be interested to know if it means I can't be contagious as my concern would be around passing on to vulnerable people.

Sorry to hear that, is it sortable? Is it worthwhile doing another antibody test or would it not really change anything
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #2806
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's slightly reassuring, I'd be interested to know if it means I can't be contagious as my concern would be around passing on to vulnerable people.

Sorry to hear that, is it sortable? Is it worthwhile doing another antibody test or would it not really change anything
Thanks. I'm still hoping they'll come up with something. I don't think another test would really prove anything either way though.

If my understanding of the virus is correct, you could still pass it on even though you have some protection yourself, although the jury's still out I think, certainly as far as vaccine protection is concerned. I would imagine the same applies to antibody protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:22 AM   #2807
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
We live in a society full of idiots......

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b653f644d4895b
Yep. And it's not going to get better any time soon.

Have you seen the film "Idiocracy"?

Was funny the first time I watched it many years ago. Now it seems quite accurate in parts.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 10:32 AM   #2808
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We live in a society full of idiots......

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b653f644d4895b
Crazy stuff!!!!! I still wonder if the conspiracy theorists know which vaccine has the microchip and if true, have they been able to find that microchip in the vaccine or in the vaccinated human.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 11:10 AM   #2809
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Crazy stuff!!!!! I still wonder if the conspiracy theorists know which vaccine has the microchip and if true, have they been able to find that microchip in the vaccine or in the vaccinated human.
The could ask Alexa....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2021, 01:19 PM   #2810
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

I see Captain Sir Thomas Moore has been tested covid positive and is in hospital, hope he recovers quickly. He is an inspiration to us all
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 01:24 PM   #2811
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
I see Captain Sir Thomas Moore has been tested covid positive and is in hospital, hope he recovers quickly. He is an inspiration to us all
Really hope he makes a full recovery.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 02:05 PM   #2812
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Quote:
Really hope he makes a full recovery.
Definitely. It would be a sad irony if covid got him after what he achieved. Bit surprised he hasn't had the jab, but I guess he's the kind of guy that would rather let someone else take his place in the queue.
Appreciate 1
Harryg275.00
      01-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #2813
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Definitely. It would be a sad irony if covid got him after what he achieved. Bit surprised he hasn't had the jab, but I guess he's the kind of guy that would rather let someone else take his place in the queue.
He was recently treated for pneumonia so was unable to be given the Jab
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #2814
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
He was recently treated for pneumonia so was unable to be given the Jab
Thanks, that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #2815
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

After a week off while the MacBook got a new battery (lucky Macbook), here are the latest all-cause deaths figures, up to week 3 (22 January). Still going up, but without a massive spike, and on the plus side the covid-related hospital admissions took a big dip in week 4, so hopefully the deaths will follow suit before too long.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13433.00
isleaiw18751.50
MattRST109.50
      02-02-2021, 01:55 PM   #2816
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
After a week off while the MacBook got a new battery (lucky Macbook), here are the latest all-cause deaths figures, up to week 3 (22 January). Still going up, but without a massive spike, and on the plus side the covid-related hospital admissions took a big dip in week 4, so hopefully the deaths will follow suit before too long.
Yes nice drop on hospital admissions now, so hopefully deaths will follow suit soon.
Appreciate 0