F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AWE Exhaust Review
Extreme Powerhouse

06-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #45
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozymandias435 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
Catless with full AWE touring exhaust is definitely loud and drones. Cold start is wild but luckily I'm able to turn it off with BM3. I've had this setup for about 5 years now and do wish it was quieter at times but the sound is too good for me haha.
Sounded great when cruising around and sounded great under WOT but everything in the middle was too much drone/volume for me lol.
Were you catless?
I was not. Fabspeed Sport Cat + mid pipe + AWE Muffler was the setup
Hmmm, that's interesting. I've heard people with the same setup say it's not bad.
      06-29-2020, 12:37 AM   #46
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R32DBP View Post
Catless with full AWE touring exhaust is definitely loud and drones. Cold start is wild but luckily I'm able to turn it off with BM3. I've had this setup for about 5 years now and do wish it was quieter at times but the sound is too good for me haha.
Sounded great when cruising around and sounded great under WOT but everything in the middle was too much drone/volume for me lol.
Were you catless?
I was not. Fabspeed Sport Cat + mid pipe + AWE Muffler was the setup
Hmmm, that's interesting. I've heard people with the same setup say it's not bad.
sound is highly subjective. I lost the day to day drivability enjoyment with it. Still a great system no doubt just not for me. My Borla S type + Fabspeed appears to be my sweet spot for sound
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #47
f32ftw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435 xdrive

Quote:
sound is highly subjective. I lost the day to day drivability enjoyment with it. Still a great system no doubt just not for me. My Borla S type + Fabspeed appears to be my sweet spot for sound
I think the bottom line is that this exhaust was engineered to be paired with a stock downpipe. I'm using it now with a stock downpipe and it sounds good but it's not that loud. Once you go catless or catted there will be drone, the tone will change (more raspy), and it will be much louder. If AWE can engineer a resonated midpipe that is meant to be used with a downpipe that would probably help but I doubt they would consider this.

Last edited by f32ftw; 06-29-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #48
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32ftw View Post
I think the bottom line is that this exhaust was engineered to be paired with a stock downpipe. I'm using it now with a stock downpipe and it sounds good but it's not that loud. Once you go catless or catted there will be drone, the tone will change (more raspy), and it will be much louder. If AWE can engineer a resonated midpipe that is meant to be used with a downpipe that would probably help but I doubt they would consider this.
The other option is to just buy your own OTS resonator from any company of your choice and have that added to your midpipe. Might be a little guess and check to get what you want but would make your exhaust unique. I know Ozy considered that, but ended up just going back to the Borla.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #49
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
The other option is to just buy your own OTS resonator from any company of your choice and have that added to your midpipe. Might be a little guess and check to get what you want but would make your exhaust unique. I know Ozy considered that, but ended up just going back to the Borla.
The best video I can say to watch, to see what a catted dp would sound like with the full AWE system is by Kies Motorsports.
      06-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #50
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The best video I can say to watch, to see what a catted dp would sound like with the full AWE system is by Kies Motorsports.
I had watched all of his exhaust videos before purchasing. Still do not provide a quality reference on what it will sound like in the cabin under different throttle conditions. Hey man give the Fabspeed a shot. You may like it and I genuinely hope that you do. Just trying to help out!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #51
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had watched all of his exhaust videos before purchasing. Still do not provide a quality reference on what it will sound like in the cabin under different throttle conditions. Hey man give the Fabspeed a shot. You may like it and I genuinely hope that you do. Just trying to help out!
Personally, I'd like my AWE exhaust to be louder. It just seems to tame sometimes. The tone I like though.
      06-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #52
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Personally, I'd like my AWE exhaust to be louder. It just seems to tame sometimes. The tone I like though.
Sounds like the AWE + Fab will be perfect for you then!
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #53
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like the AWE + Fab will be perfect for you then!
+1 AWE + catted DP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 3
1QuikWS61620.50
DrBall125.50
      06-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #54
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You think its possible you didn't let it set in long enough... the two paired. For me, Cold starts have gotten louder, WOT/Upshifts sound more aggressive. Thats about it. All other situations i'd say its pretty tame if not the same as AWE+Midpipe with stock downpipe.

I will agree that everyone has a different noise tolerance
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #55
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep

I was aware that it would mellow over time but I made a calculated decision to take off and send back while they would still accept the return. I was factoring and imagining it becoming a little quieter and still felt that it was going to be too much drone for me to handle long term. My Borla does have a nice refined sound and 0 drone so I will happily carry on with that system.
Appreciate 1
MAKH 588.50
      06-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #56
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
I was aware that it would mellow over time but I made a calculated decision to take off and send back while they would still accept the return. I was factoring and imagining it becoming a little quieter and still felt that it was going to be too much drone for me to handle long term. My Borla does have a nice refined sound and 0 drone so I will happily carry on with that system.
I have a lot of choppy straight piped muscle around me, and I'm so use to that I think my sense of loud has changed lol.
      06-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #57
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Jesus. The car in the video sounds horrible.
Like a Civic with a fart can and a 600cc sport bike with a pipe made a baby together.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #58
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
Jesus. The car in the video sounds horrible.
Like a Civic with a fart can and a 600cc sport bike with a pipe made a baby together.
It sounds like every other N55 out there with a catback exhaust and a downpipe.
      01-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #59
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

so it seems most think the full AWE system is too loud when paired with an after market dp (both catted and no cat). Has anyone had anyluck with the AWE midpipe only with the MPE axel back and an aftermarket DP? What are your thoughts?

I like the sound I have now it sounds refined and sporty but when my buddy drives by in his 440i mppsk I get jealous and want to add a little more sound (I know they are completely different engines).
      01-27-2021, 03:19 PM   #60
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
so it seems most think the full AWE system is too loud when paired with an after market dp (both catted and no cat). Has anyone had anyluck with the AWE midpipe only with the MPE axel back and an aftermarket DP? What are your thoughts?

I like the sound I have now it sounds refined and sporty but when my buddy drives by in his 440i mppsk I get jealous and want to add a little more sound (I know they are completely different engines).
It seems like a waste of money to get a AWE or any other expensive aftermarket midpipe. Why wouldn't you just try a res delete if you currently have stock midpipe and MPE axleback? Deleting the res is going to increase volume and turbo noise a bit and make it more raspy. I have a res delete with fabspeed catted DP and stock axleback.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #61
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Quote:
It seems like a waste of money to get a AWE or any other expensive aftermarket midpipe. Why wouldn't you just try a res delete if you currently have stock midpipe and MPE axleback? Deleting the res is going to increase volume and turbo noise a bit and make it more raspy. I have a res delete with fabspeed catted DP and stock axleback.
thats pretty much what someone said on the other exhaust thread I was looking at, a non-resonated stock mid pipe will sound pretty much the same as the after market options. Its pretty loud when I have it in sport because in the mhd settings I have set to keep the exhaust flap always open in sport. I wonder if I delete the res will it sound like the exhaust flap is always open in all modes? I'll have to find that out for my self
      01-27-2021, 04:10 PM   #62
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinniciF32 View Post
thats pretty much what someone said on the other exhaust thread I was looking at, a non-resonated stock mid pipe will sound pretty much the same as the after market options. Its pretty loud when I have it in sport because in the mhd settings I have set to keep the exhaust flap always open in sport. I wonder if I delete the res will it sound like the exhaust flap is always open in all modes? I'll have to find that out for my self
If its already borderline too loud for you right now, deleting the resonator might push it over the edge, so consider that. It is technically reversible though.

Here's my before and after video deleting resonator with aforementioned mods. Keep in mind the car sounds completely different from this angle but it gives you an idea of the change with a stock axleback. The car is way more tame inside the cabin than this video makes it sound.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #63
JWoody
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi M-Package

I have the AWE exhaust installed on my '14 335i, just did it about ~6mos ago. After reading all the Threads and watching Kies clips I came to the same conclusion. I kept the stock DP in.

With a Race DP, Hi-flo cat or none, its going to drone. For whatever reason AWE just didn't put a resonator in the mid-pipe like the OE.

A decent DP with Hi-flo cat, and if AWE had a mid-pipe res that would solve all the problems. Or as discussed, swap in the OE res on the AWE mid-pipe.

The drone is just barely there at speed in 8th, at ~85mph just touching -~2.3k RPM. The setup tho has a very nice burble in Sport+ mode using the paddles in my M-sport. In 7th at 80-85mph @ ~3k RPM is very noticeable but not to the point where it annoys me, YMMV.

-J
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 05:57 PM   #64
snipagang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nustle14 View Post
On our 320, we have an AWE cat back, catted downpipe and BM3-1. VERY loud on cold start and then quiets down after 15-20 seconds into a nice rumble. We installed the exhaust first, then the downpipe a few months later. The DP increased the volume and tone significantly. We experienced a little drone a couple times in Comfort mode at ~38-40 mph in very low RPMs. Nothing consistent and doesn't last but a second or two. No reports of drone Sport mode.
did you notice a power increase? Im catless stage 1 and it feels like the exhaust has some restriction to it still.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #65
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
did you notice a power increase? Im catless stage 1 and it feels like the exhaust has some restriction to it still.
lol oh, it feels like a restriction? kk
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #66
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipagang View Post
Per AWE's dyno numbers, there is some power to be gained by upgrading from the stock exhaust but its not much

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0