F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > EPS Light After Alignment
proTUNING Freaks

09-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
GlacierF32
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Question EPS Light After Alignment

Hello,

Looking for some feedback on an issue I have after getting an alignment. I took the car to my local shop for an alignment after installing H&R Super Sports with stock shocks. This is the only suspension mod I have done. After aligning the car they told me they need to “reset the suspension sensors” and said that because my car was lowered, I now I have a light on the dash for steering and a “increased steering effort required” message on startup. The car drives with no issues other than the light. The shop ran the code and I was told it said something along the lines of ride height sensor. I’ve never heard of this being an issue when lowering F30s. I know we have 2 ride height sensors on the drivers side front and rear but I thought they only functioned with the adaptive headlights. After inspection the front sensor appears normal however the orientation of the rear seems odd to me. If anyone has any advice or has experienced a similar issue please let me know! Attached is a picture of the rear ride height sensor. It seems as if the arm is supposed to sit behind the plug…?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Below is how the sensor arms should be oriented. The long arm shouldn't be parallel with the half shaft.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
GlacierF32
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Below is how the sensor arms should be oriented. The long arm shouldn't be parallel with the half shaft.
Thank you. Do you think it’s possible for the sensor to break after being extended to the degree mine has in the pic? I moved it back to the correct orientation and still have the same error codes.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierF32 View Post
Thank you. Do you think it’s possible for the sensor to break after being extended to the degree mine has in the pic? I moved it back to the correct orientation and still have the same error codes.
I don't think the sensor broke, and really the rear sensor shouldn't affect the EPS. I don't think the shop is telling you the whole story on the codes.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #5
GlacierF32
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I don't think the sensor broke, and really the rear sensor shouldn't affect the EPS. I don't think the shop is telling you the whole story on the codes.
Are you familiar with the alignment process that is done at the dealers? I've never heard of any coding or reset procedures needed to be done after an alignment. Still trying to figure out what they were even "resetting"...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
GlacierF32
Private
United_States
Rep

Update, pulled the codes with BimmerLink. The app will not let me clear these two codes...any ideas on what the fix could be?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Error memory-08-09-2021.pdf (24.0 KB, 53 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierF32 View Post
Update, pulled the codes with BimmerLink. The app will not let me clear these two codes...any ideas on what the fix could be?
You need to calibrate your steering angle sensor. That should resolve both codes.

Appreciate 0