F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Ceramic coating
proTUNING Freaks

09-20-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d M Sport F30

Ceramic coating

Had a go at ceramic coating the car today. It seems to look like a deeper shine. Will see how it goes through autumn and winter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-20-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Bachu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330d m sport

Looks ace :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

What products did you use?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Some eBay stuff from China. Blue bottle. 9H on it.
I've had it years, never got round to using it.
Seems to have put a nice deep shine on the paint. 👍
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 02:11 PM   #5
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish786 View Post
Quote:
ETTO but that seems a bit risky to me - not sure I'd want anything but a trusted brand on my paintwork…

Armaan
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 02:24 PM   #6
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
ETTO but that seems a bit risky to me - not sure I'd want anything but a trusted brand on my paintwork…

Armaan
I could have put money on that! That someone would find a negative in a positive.
Oh well, that's forums for you.
Appreciate 1
Stainy265.00
      09-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Armaan
I could have put money on that! That someone would find a negative in a positive.
Oh well, that's forums for you.
Yes. Dabbled in detailing over the years and know that the wrong product can do hundreds if not thousands of £ of damage. Not a negative, it's the truth.

I genuinely hoped you were joking.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 04:47 PM   #8
BR27
Private
Rep
Drives: 430d

Quote:
Quote:
Looks really good mate, was it difficult to apply? Do you have to keep the car indoors for 24hrs to cure? That's what's always put me off trying ceramic coatings!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 03:20 AM   #9
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR27 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Looks really good mate, was it difficult to apply? Do you have to keep the car indoors for 24hrs to cure? That's what's always put me off trying ceramic coatings!

This is the stuff I used.
Appreciate 1
BR2725.50
      09-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

It will be fine for now, only problem with the Chinese ceramics is longevity, if your lucky you might get a year out of it, half decent ceramics last at least two years, and the best ones five years +, but the procedure will have been a good practise for some time next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #11
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
It will be fine for now, only problem with the Chinese ceramics is longevity, if your lucky you might get a year out of it, half decent ceramics last at least two years, and the best ones five years +, but the procedure will have been a good practise for some time next year.
Quote:
For the price I paid, I'd be happy with a few months protection. I just thought it was worth a try this winter.
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      09-22-2021, 04:42 AM   #12
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

Quote:
For the price I paid, I'd be happy with a few months protection. I just thought it was worth a try this winter.
What's the point then? Surely you must have had some 10 year old turtle wax in the garage you could have used. Maybe even T-cut it before hand.
      09-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #13
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Most ceramics come from asia .... it was the japanese that actually started it all.
The level to keep a ceramic coating for 5+ years is honestly the biggest gimmic going.... 2 years is realistic if you use the car. And thats provided you take the time to wash the car correctly with the correct products.
Iv seen 4 year old ceramic take hours of machine polishing to "clear the coating of contamination" and imo by that point your just as well removing the coating, doing a single stage correction and re applying a new coating.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #14
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Most ceramics come from asia .... it was the japanese that actually started it all.
The level to keep a ceramic coating for 5+ years is honestly the biggest gimmic going.... 2 years is realistic if you use the car. And thats provided you take the time to wash the car correctly with the correct products.
Iv seen 4 year old ceramic take hours of machine polishing to "clear the coating of contamination" and imo by that point your just as well removing the coating, doing a single stage correction and re applying a new coating.
You can keep coatings going with toppers, but it does depend on what those toppers are and whether they are sealants in their own rights, even good old TW Dry and Shine will leave a decent temporary finish. Personally i prefer to do a good decon wash every 4-6 months and put a fresh coat of sealant on (preferred one at the moment is TAC systems Moonlight), but everyone is slightly different especially with their preferences, and certainly don't want to get in the debate of sealants or waxes or even ceramic, as i said everyone to their own. As long as you are happy at the end, job done

Sounds to me like OP is just getting in to 'detailing', and like all of us you try many different things
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #15
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

The OP is happy with the results and knows it's not the most expensive and I think looks good.

No need to be negative really. It's his car and he's happy. Good on him for looking after his car.
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2765.50
APJ245.00
      09-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart j View Post
The OP is happy with the results and knows it's not the most expensive and I think looks good.

No need to be negative really. It's his car and he's happy. Good on him for looking after his car.
Totally agree.

I looked at getting a professional detail of my cars. I just keep on top of it myself.

Nothing too fancy, clay mitt, chemical guys jet seal and meguiars ceramic wax. Ongoing cleaning with snow foam and 2 bucket wash.

I dont mind doing it twice a year. I find it really rewarding.

Car nearly 4 years old and has held up ok!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #17
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:

Totally agree.

I looked at getting a professional detail of my cars. I just keep on top of it myself.

Nothing too fancy, clay mitt, chemical guys jet seal and meguiars ceramic wax. Ongoing cleaning with snow foam and 2 bucket wash.

I dont mind doing it twice a year. I find it really rewarding.

Car nearly 4 years old and has held up ok!

Exactly mate.

Car looks really well and not only saved a fair bit of money by doing it yourself but it can be rewarding too seeing the results on your own car.

Car looks stunning by the way
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2765.50
      09-24-2021, 04:41 AM   #18
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Like all new hobby's it can start to get expensive, but it it will be rewarding !!, i have two snow foam cannons, two triggers, loads of different size sprayers, dozens and dozens of drying buffing and microfibre towels, at least a dozen detailing brushes, soft and boars hair. Five different tyre gels/sprays. And a Vyair water filter. It will go on and on, but why not, spoil yourself and your car

Only two pieces of advice i would give, if you are buying shampoos or snow foams, buy them in five litre tubs, tons cheaper. Secondly enjoy yourself, it certainly was my therapy last year and still is now, there's tons of stuff out there and most of it is pretty good. if you do want to watch some detailing videos, there are plenty on YouTube, two best for me are ForensicDetailing, he goes through every aspect of detailing a great allrounder with no bullshit or being paid to recommend products, if you then want a master class there is a guy called Jim White. There are a couple more but they are the ones that stick out for me.

As i said have fun and enjoy yourself.

Last edited by APJ; 09-24-2021 at 04:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #19
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Like all new hobby's it can start to get expensive, but it it will be rewarding !!, i have two snow foam cannons, two triggers, loads of different size sprayers, dozens and dozens of drying buffing and microfibre towels, at least a dozen detailing brushes, soft and boars hair. Five different tyre gels/sprays. And a Vyair water filter. It will go on and on, but why not, spoil yourself and your car

Only two pieces of advice i would give, if you are buying shampoos or snow foams, buy them in five litre tubs, tons cheaper. Secondly enjoy yourself, it certainly was my therapy last year and still is now, there's tons of stuff out there and most of it is pretty good. if you do want to watch some detailing videos, there are plenty on YouTube, two best for me are ForensicDetailing, he goes through every aspect of detailing a great allrounder with no bullshit or being paid to recommend products, if you then want a master class there is a guy called Jim White. There are a couple more but they are the ones that stick out for me.

Great advice and post.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #20
Bigfish786
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Great advice and post.
I'm glad of all the responses to this post.
It's not like I haven't looked after the paint before.
It gets regular washes and wax.
It had paint protection applied a few months ago, at work, for the price of a few beers.
I'd bought the ceramic coating stuff when I had the ST, but never got round to applying it.
For my first attempt, it looks pretty decent, and the next time I try, I'll probably do a better job.
Once winter is over, I'll do it again. 👍
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00