F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 152D08 Super Knocking
Studio RSR

05-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 6 Spd, X6 G06 30d, G22 420i

Garage List
N20 152D08 Super Knocking

My 428i idle's very very rough, almost like its about to stall. I'll give a little back story. I've been running Bootmod3 Stage 1 93oct for almost 10,000kms now all stock and around 5000kms with a VRSF catless downpipe and everything was working and driving like a charm. The car then was due for a major service at 65,000 kms with spark plugs oil change etc all required, everything was allgood till the car came up and eventually popped up with 'overdue 500kms' and i started the car one day and it was like it was about to stall. This happens everytime i come to a red light as well and go to a full stop, car is about to switch off, rpms are very rough. I took the car into BMW my service advisor told me that I did not need to remove the tune so I did not. They serviced the car but they didn't see anything wrong with the idle. Stupid if you ask me. As soon as I jumped back in the car started it, immediately I realised... Very stuttery rough start, and if you just tap the accelerator pedal a little and let go the car is almost about to turn off. What could be the issue? Even flashed it back to stock, still the same problem...

OK SO I DROVE THE CAR FOR A LITTLE AFTER TAKING IT TO BMW AND DROVE IT TO CITY BACK AND BACK, JUST BEFORE RAN DIAGNOSTICS TEST HAVE RECEIVED ERROR CODES:
152D08 Super Knocking: Injection Shutdown
152308 Super Knocking Cylinder 3: Injection Shutdown

I've realised the car is blowing a little more smoke than usual with the dp, what could be wrong with my N20?? Please help!!

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Did you do the 65k service? Have you tried going back to stock tune? If you did the 65k service (with plugs), pull the plugs to make sure they were actually changed and verify the gap is correct.
      05-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Did you do the 65k service? Have you tried going back to stock tune? If you did the 65k service (with plugs), pull the plugs to make sure they were actually changed and verify the gap is correct.
Quote:
I did! Went to stock tune, same issue. Plugs have been replaced, gap is correct. BMW service advisor confirmed this as I took the car there today as well for another check up due to the noise.

Could it just be a bad injector?

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwaddictt View Post
I did! Went to stock tune, same issue. Plugs have been replaced, gap is correct. BMW service advisor confirmed this as I took the car there today as well for another check up due to the noise.

Could be a bad injectors, gas, or coilpacks. You can try moving your coilpacks around to see if the misfire moves too (that would indicate coilpacks). Injector debugging would be the same or if a shop is doing it they can pull all of them and run them through a machine to test their flow rate.
      05-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #5
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Could be a bad injectors, gas, or coilpacks. You can try moving your coilpacks around to see if the misfire moves too (that would indicate coilpacks). Injector debugging would be the same or if a shop is doing it they can pull all of them and run them through a machine to test their flow rate.
Quote:
Cheers, I'll give this a go!

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
n8_thriller
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Garage List
Quote:
Did the injector change sorry your problem? I have same code on cylinder, I pulled the plug and it was very carbony 6 months ago I have a feeling that is going to be the same I'm guessing it injector letting by.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:08 PM   #7
MaverickCruise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328

If Super Knocking detonation occurs, Injection Shutdown. The piston must have broken.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
bmwaddictt
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8_thriller View Post
Quote:
Did the injector change sorry your problem? I have same code on cylinder, I pulled the plug and it was very carbony 6 months ago I have a feeling that is going to be the same I'm guessing it injector letting by.
Hey guys an update on this super old forum , I've sold the car but it was just injector number 3 that had died lol

#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 08:40 PM   #9
f30_kai
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Same problem

Quote:
My 428i idle's very very rough, almost like its about to stall. I'll give a little back story. I've been running Bootmod3 Stage 1 93oct for almost 10,000kms now all stock and around 5000kms with a VRSF catless downpipe and everything was working and driving like a charm. The car then was due for a major service at 65,000 kms with spark plugs oil change etc all required, everything was allgood till the car came up and eventually popped up with 'overdue 500kms' and i started the car one day and it was like it was about to stall. This happens everytime i come to a red light as well and go to a full stop, car is about to switch off, rpms are very rough. I took the car into BMW my service advisor told me that I did not need to remove the tune so I did not. They serviced the car but they didn't see anything wrong with the idle. Stupid if you ask me. As soon as I jumped back in the car started it, immediately I realised... Very stuttery rough start, and if you just tap the accelerator pedal a little and let go the car is almost about to turn off. What could be the issue? Even flashed it back to stock, still the same problem...

OK SO I DROVE THE CAR FOR A LITTLE AFTER TAKING IT TO BMW AND DROVE IT TO CITY BACK AND BACK, JUST BEFORE RAN DIAGNOSTICS TEST HAVE RECEIVED ERROR CODES:
152D08 Super Knocking: Injection Shutdown
152308 Super Knocking Cylinder 3: Injection Shutdown

I've realised the car is blowing a little more smoke than usual with the dp, what could be wrong with my N20?? Please help!!
CAN HELP ME SEE MY DATALOG if have a knock and have the same code on cylinder 1 i have did compression testing showing everything ok, changed new spark plug, after swapping the coil around and changed the problematic one change valve cover after detecting air leak but now still same i have no idea on this
PLS GIVE ME A HELP
Running on BM3 stage 1 93OCT (try use ron 98 alr still the same)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 65b8585b2d374a488a7b577f.csv.zip (6.3 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by f30_kai; 01-29-2024 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: add more details
Appreciate 0