F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Aftermarket Radar Blind Spot System
Studio RSR

02-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #1
xnathanmuellerx
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Post Aftermarket Radar Blind Spot System

Hey all, my wife is driving our 4-Gt and loves it , but it doesn't have blind spot detection. She really wants this after we took a road trip in a loaner which had it. I also saw how it worked and loved it. I have been doing lots of research and there are several aftermarket kits available. I know they all require installation, so I am prepared to pay an installer.

The most recommended I see is Goshers. They have a new one on their site and it uses radar like car makers use, and this one includes rear cross traffic alerts (which my wife will no doubt like when leaving the grocery store parking spaces. There is lots of chatter from forums and big review sites (consumer reports) and they like Goshers so I think they will have a decent kit. I didn't find any other brand which only specializes in BSD and has been around as long as them. It has a 3 year warranty.

The other brands are more expensive, don't have a reputation for this, or offer less features. This seems to be a good value.

Anybody check it out yet?

- Nathan

Last edited by xnathanmuellerx; 02-09-2018 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Anyone have any insight on a radar based system?
I have been checking over the weekend and I can't find anything concrete on other makes.

Thanks!
Nathan
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Ok, in case some of you have been interested in this - the Goshers BSDS-RD1630 is the model number of the unit I was checking. There are other companies like Brandmotion, but they are way more expensive and require special mounting hardware.

Also, I emailed Goshers last week with a question about the installation and compatibility - and they got back to me within a couple of hours. I appreciate that and think I will pick one up this week. I'll keep you all informed on how the unit works after I get the install done.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61618.50
      02-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Smile

Order was placed and already shows in transit. They shipped from LA using Priority Mail - so I should have it today! I'll keep you guys updated after I have a chance to look at it and get it installed. One of my good friends used to be a 12v installer a few years back and he thinks we can knock this out in our garage. Not sure if it will be so easy but I am willing to give it a shot if it will save on installation costs.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

What was the cost? I believe retrofit oem system with ebay used parts was well under 700$ range. Im interested in doing the same, very helpful feature. My current loaner has it and I love it to death
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
What was the cost? I believe retrofit oem system with ebay used parts was well under 700$ range. Im interested in doing the same, very helpful feature. My current loaner has it and I love it to death
I ordered it from their site for $539.99 on sale. It's $549.99 on Amazon. My brother has BSD in his daily driver and he is a car enthusiast as well. He said he will always get BSD on all of his cars moving forward - and this is the same guy who used to preach the mirror adjustment technique.

He basically said having a BSD just adds much more confidence to changing lanes and merging on highways and entrances. He admits it has saved his tail a few times.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #7
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Did you get them installed?

02-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
I did! We couldn't be happier with the final result.

We did the install ourselves in about 3 hours and spent some time playing around with the settings a little. In the end, we left them in default mode which worked like I would expect it to. They felt "factory" in the detection range.

The unit picked up cars when I expected them do, and holds a continuous detection until it is out of the set range. If a car is detected (and the light is on) the system will beep and flash the light if a turn signal is put on. It's like a second warning. I didn't see any false detections (yet), but I think that it has to do with the speed controller it came with. It worked well while we were driving around town and in parking lots etc (no detections at slow speeds). The system worked great at faster speeds (more than 15mph) and worked even better on the highways and on-ramps. It really works well in driving conditions over 25mph. I have not had a chance to try the rear cross traffic alert, but we will test it out over time I guess.

I was actually surprised that the unit was as easy to install as it was. The kit came with cardboard install templates and different angle brackets for different cars. You use the cardboard templates and align them on the outside of the bumper. Once you find the correct template to use, you match them to the corresponding angle brackets to install the sensors (they are marked). It's pretty well thought out and didn't leave much room for second-guessing. The install sheet itself was pretty clear and good illustrations. It was a little long, but we appreciated the clarity of the whole thing.

I can understand the appeal of these systems. It works great!
Appreciate 1
ooshnoo877.50
      02-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnathanmuellerx View Post
Quote:
I did! We couldn't be happier with the final result.

We did the install ourselves in about 3 hours and spent some time playing around with the settings a little. In the end, we left them in default mode which worked like I would expect it to. They felt "factory" in the detection range.

The unit picked up cars when I expected them do, and holds a continuous detection until it is out of the set range. If a car is detected (and the light is on) the system will beep and flash the light if a turn signal is put on. It's like a second warning. I didn't see any false detections (yet), but I think that it has to do with the speed controller it came with. It worked well while we were driving around town and in parking lots etc (no detections at slow speeds). The system worked great at faster speeds (more than 15mph) and worked even better on the highways and on-ramps. It really works well in driving conditions over 25mph. I have not had a chance to try the rear cross traffic alert, but we will test it out over time I guess.

I was actually surprised that the unit was as easy to install as it was. The kit came with cardboard install templates and different angle brackets for different cars. You use the cardboard templates and align them on the outside of the bumper. Once you find the correct template to use, you match them to the corresponding angle brackets to install the sensors (they are marked). It's pretty well thought out and didn't leave much room for second-guessing. The install sheet itself was pretty clear and good illustrations. It was a little long, but we appreciated the clarity of the whole thing.

I can understand the appeal of these systems. It works great!
Sounds good. Can u post some pics.

02-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. Can u post some pics.
Oh sorry, I just saw this. I will try and grab some but it may be a bit. My wife normally has the car and I travel quite a bit. I can tell you that you can't tell from the outside that there is any system installed, since the sensors are totally hidden behind the bumper.

The only hint that someone may get of the install - are the LED indicators on the inside which are mounted on the sides of the windshield, on the pillars. I may upgrade the lights to look more OEM using the LED Upgrade Kit they have on their site. I can't seem to find them anywhere else and I don't want to risk using some random LED kit to see if they work with the Goshers system.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 01:56 PM   #11
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Oh sorry, I just saw this. I will try and grab some but it may be a bit. My wife normally has the car and I travel quite a bit. I can tell you that you can't tell from the outside that there is any system installed, since the sensors are totally hidden behind the bumper.

The only hint that someone may get of the install - are the LED indicators on the inside which are mounted on the sides of the windshield, on the pillars. I may upgrade the lights to look more OEM using the LED Upgrade Kit they have on their site. I can't seem to find them anywhere else and I don't want to risk using some random LED kit to see if they work with the Goshers system.
They're inside the bumper? So no drilling in the bumper? That's enough to sell me, right there!

02-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #12
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Smile

Quote:
They're inside the bumper? So no drilling in the bumper? That's enough to sell me, right there!
YES! This system is totally hidden behind the bumper cover so there is no drilling in to the bumper like the old ones. The car looks 100% stock.

BTW I should mention that my wife can't stop talking about this thing. She is beyond happy we got them installed and told me that the blind spot system works exactly like we imagined (experienced them in a loaner) and the rear traffic alerts work well in busy parking lots but still requires normal attention. It basically will warn her if there is a car which is driving as she is backing out of a space. It will not warn if there is a car stopped there (like they are waiting for your parking *******

All in all, we recommend this thing!!!

Last edited by xnathanmuellerx; 02-23-2018 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: system bleeped the words parking space lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #13
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
YES! This system is totally hidden behind the bumper cover so there is no drilling in to the bumper like the old ones. The car looks 100% stock.
Cool man. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on them. If I may ask one more thing...could you post or PM me pics showing the location or approximate locations that you installed them behind the bumper?

02-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #14
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Quote:
Cool man. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on them. If I may ask one more thing...could you post or PM me pics showing the location or approximate locations that you installed them behind the bumper?
lol we were so hyped to get going on the install, I didn't even take pics! I remembered after we had it all back together. I'll ask my friend to see if he did, but we were working together and I don't even recall him taking any either. I'll check and let you know if he has something.

Also, the sensor location wasn't a big deal. We just used the install template and used the corresponding bracket per the instructions. He actually did most of that stuff and I watched him. Seemed easy enough. If you don't have the experience like him, I would say get it installed to save headaches.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #15
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

If anyone has been following this thread, I wanted to let you know that this system is amazing! We (my wife) hasn't noticed any issues with it at all. She says it works great (she is normally never happy). My brother was over this past weekend and wanted to test it out. He said this thing works the same as a factory unit does. I think the default settings are great.

We are super happy with this thing! It's really a good way to bring your existing car up to date on tech.
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61618.50
      03-09-2018, 06:23 AM   #16
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I think you have sold me on trying this system out

How are the brackets for the sensors mounted as their site states no drilling req'd?

Sent you a PM...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #17
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

I would love to see some photos of the finished install, particularly the led's that are mounted in the car. I have to wonder if there is a way to adapt the OEM indicator lights built into the mirror housing into this third party system?
      03-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #18
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I think you have sold me on trying this system out

How are the brackets for the sensors mounted as their site states no drilling req'd?

Sent you a PM...
The kit includes 3m VHB tape foam. You clean off the surfaces and apply the foam to the angle adapters for the sensors and stick them to the inside of the bumper cover.

I can confirm there is no drilling whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #19
xnathanmuellerx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
I would love to see some photos of the finished install, particularly the led's that are mounted in the car. I have to wonder if there is a way to adapt the OEM indicator lights built into the mirror housing into this third party system?
The LEDs are the standard Goshers units. Nothing really different about them. I don't have the car with me now, but here is a link to an image I found on Google. Basically the same thing:
https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/magazine-articles/2013/November/CR112K13-Goshers_Safety_systems

I will try and finally remember to take some pics this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Tuf-Gong
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Did you have to drill holes into the A-pillars to install the LED lights?

Did you have to drill holes into the A-pillars to install the LED lights inside the cabin?

I just got off the phone with an installer at Auto Action, who indicated that they only install the BrandMotion kit for their BMW customers, and that kit requires drilling a hole into the plastic A-pillars to make the LED lights sit flush with the surface of the pillars.

As a previous poster already requested a couple of months ago, some photos, especially of the installed LED lights would be awesome.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #21
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

This one also looks convincing, much cheaper though https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32715481992.html
BSD888
      08-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #22
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Quote:
The LEDs are the standard Goshers units. Nothing really different about them. I don't have the car with me now, but here is a link to an image I found on Google. Basically the same thing:
https://article.images.consumerreports.org/prod/content/dam/cro/magazine-articles/2013/November/CR112K13-Goshers_Safety_systems

I will try and finally remember to take some pics this weekend.
Do you've full installation isntructions? Like how did your source power and how did you connect DSP to ECU for turn signals?