F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Performance Options, 340i Xdrive Manual
Studio RSR

08-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Mustang GT "Beast"

Performance Options, 340i Xdrive Manual

Hello,

So, I want a 2016-2018 340i Xdrive manual transmission and some the options get confusing. Essentially, I want sport seats, M Brakes, Adaptive M suspension. All the turn hard, go fast, and stop now goodies.

When I do a vin decoder, some cars have adaptive M suspension but not the sport brakes. But, if I get the M sport line, does that include the brakes? Like I see they have luxury line, sport line, and M-Sport line.

FYI, not going to MOD the car....this will be my new daily for driving kids around. I have a 2011 Mustang GT for when I get crazy.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

my 2017 340 has M sport brakes (blue calipers), sport seats, track handling package, and adaptive suspension

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/k777292

Last edited by pauli18c; 08-15-2019 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: added VIN decoder
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriver85 View Post
Hello,

So, I want a 2016-2018 340i Xdrive manual transmission and some the options get confusing. Essentially, I want sport seats, M Brakes, Adaptive M suspension. All the turn hard, go fast, and stop now goodies.

When I do a vin decoder, some cars have adaptive M suspension but not the sport brakes. But, if I get the M sport line, does that include the brakes? Like I see they have luxury line, sport line, and M-Sport line.

FYI, not going to MOD the car....this will be my new daily for driving kids around. I have a 2011 Mustang GT for when I get crazy.

Thx
The three options you are looking for are:

S481A Sports Seat

S2NHA M Sport Brakes

S2VFA Adaptive M Suspension

Would also suggest the following - not just Sports Seats Which could be manual adjustment.
S459A Seat Adjuster Electric With Memory
S488A Lumbar Support Driver And Passenger
Appreciate 3
johnung4525.00
rjd_F301999.50
      08-15-2019, 03:09 PM   #4
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

I have a 2016 340i xDrive. It has all the options you list above because it has the M Sport and Track Handling package. The M Sport package will give you the sport seats along with the M Sport steering wheel, M Sport front bumper, side skirts, etc. The Track Handling package will give you the Adaptive M Suspension, M Sport brakes, M Sport wheels and variable sport steering.

So look for a car with those two packages to get what you are looking for.
Appreciate 3
johnung4525.00
Wires1644.00
      08-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
I have a 2016 340i xDrive. It has all the options you list above because it has the M Sport and Track Handling package. The M Sport package will give you the sport seats along with the M Sport steering wheel, M Sport front bumper, side skirts, etc. The Track Handling package will give you the Adaptive M Suspension, M Sport brakes, M Sport wheels and variable sport steering.

Quote:

Got it. So if it has track handling package, then it has both brakes and suspension.

Thank you!!!

Alternatively, a sport line with the brakes and suspension separately, would be the same thing....from a performance perspective...right?

I think just the steering wheel and shifter are different in that scenario
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

[QUOTE=Thedriver85;25146071]
Quote:
Got it. So if it has track handling package, then it has both brakes and suspension.
steering wheel and shifter are different in that scenario
Yes. I have non m sport with the track package and you get the brakes, adaptive suspension, and VSS.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 08:18 AM   #7
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep

What is the M sport suspension? What's the difference between M sport suspension and Track package?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 09:32 PM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
What is the M sport suspension? What's the difference between M sport suspension and Track package?
MSport suspension is a little lower and stiffer than stock. It comes with the msport package and isn't adjustable.

I believe this doesn't matter for your search since you are looking at xdrive vehicles and they can't be optioned with msport suspension that's lower. You need the Track Handling package. It comes with adaptive suspension that changes stiffness with the performance modes. MSport suspension is not adjustable.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
MSport suspension is a little lower and stiffer than stock. It comes with the msport package and isn't adjustable.

I believe this doesn't matter for your search since you are looking at xdrive vehicles and they can't be optioned with msport suspension that's lower. You need the Track Handling package. It comes with adaptive suspension that changes stiffness with the performance modes. MSport suspension is not adjustable.

So if I get an Msport, but it has xdrive, and does NOT have the track pack...then it isn't stiffer than stock?

I think I'm holding out for a track pack anyways.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #10
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

Watch out for the seats on this one. The 340's came w/ M-sport as standard. But you had the option to select standard seats as a zero cost option instead of the sport seats. I know of some people that found the sport seats too hard and snug.

Quote:
So if I get an Msport, but it has xdrive, and does NOT have the track pack...then it isn't stiffer than stock?

I think I'm holding out for a track pack anyways.

Thx
So the F30's could be had with a few different suspensions. There was the standard suspension that came on a regular rwd car. If you selected m-sport and rwd the car had lower and stiffer springs, and also thicker sway bars (option code 704). Xdrive cars sat higher then the standard suspension and selecting m-sport only gave the cosmetic pieces, not the suspension. On both awd & rwd you could get the adaptive suspension which has the electronically controlled shocks. Beyond these was the M-Performance suspension which sat even lower, came w/ red springs, and used the same sway bars as the m-sport suspension.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #11
alistairk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i MSport, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
The 340's came w/ M-sport as standard. =
For what it is worth, I believe M-Sport only became standard on the 340 in 2017.

Quote:
Beyond these was the M-Performance suspension which sat even lower, came w/ red springs, and used the same sway bars as the m-sport suspension.
Could you get the M-Performance springs from factory or a port-install though?

I'd say if you're getting an x-drive car, definitely go for m-sport adaptive suspension or track-handling package. Otherwise, if you can live with a RWD, the m-sport passive suspension is good and cheaper to run long-term.

As far as the M-Sport brakes, shouldn't be a deal breaker as the M-Performance brakes can always be added later and since you're already limiting your search wanting a manual (kudos btw), no need to handcuff your search even more.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #12
Thedriver85
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post
Quote:
The 340's came w/ M-sport as standard. =
For what it is worth, I believe M-Sport only became standard on the 340 in 2017.

Quote:
Beyond these was the M-Performance suspension which sat even lower, came w/ red springs, and used the same sway bars as the m-sport suspension.

I'd say if you're getting an x-drive car, definitely go for m-sport adaptive suspension or track-handling package. Otherwise, if you can live with a RWD, the m-sport passive suspension is good and cheaper to run long-term.

As far as the M-Sport brakes, shouldn't be a deal breaker as the M-Performance brakes can always be added later and since you're already limiting your search wanting a manual (kudos btw), no need to handcuff your search even more.

I have a Mustang GT, so this car is supposed to be the "Dad gets the kids from school" car, and the "Dad drives home during a blizzard" car, lol.

According to the wife, this is NOT supposed to be a fun car, I already have one of those.

Mwhahahah!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
skw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairk View Post

You could be correct. I was going off of when I ordered my car which is a '17.
M-Performance parts are dealer or port installed. When ordered and installed at the port, they also get listed on the window sticker.
'07 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
Appreciate 0