F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Help! A parking penalty notice dispute
GetBMWParts

05-01-2017, 05:24 AM   #1
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Help! A parking penalty notice dispute

I parked at a football stadium on a Saturday night to attend a function there.
The parking is pay and display, so I went to the nearest machine to check the times if it needed money. I saw this big sign right next to the machine and concluded that as it was 8pm, the parking is now free...

Then later, found a council parking notice on my car. Turns out there's another sign near the ticket machine with different timings on it than this notice.

I'm informally appealing, but Newcastle Council make a lot of money from parking, so they'll probably turn my appeal down. I could argue that I misunderstood the sign, but it was literally attached to the meter.

Any views of whether I should formally appeal and risk a doubling of the £50 fine?

Thanks!
Attached Images

05-01-2017, 05:46 AM   #2
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Looking at the sign, I'd have said those were the times that the customer number was available for you to phone them rather than the times the charges were in operation.

It could be worth appealing and asking the question; but I wouldn't be optimistic
      05-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consett Mag View Post
I parked at a football stadium on a Saturday night to attend a function there.
The parking is pay and display, so I went to the nearest machine to check the times if it needed money. I saw this big sign right next to the machine and concluded that as it was 8pm, the parking is now free...

Then later, found a council parking notice on my car. Turns out there's another sign near the ticket machine with different timings on it than this notice.

I'm informally appealing, but Newcastle Council make a lot of money from parking, so they'll probably turn my appeal down. I could argue that I misunderstood the sign, but it was literally attached to the meter.

Any views of whether I should formally appeal and risk a doubling of the £50 fine?

Thanks!
I'd have interpreted that as parking free after 6pm. If it refers to the helpline I'd expect the helpline to be open the entire time the parking is chargeable, otherwise how do you get help with your parking at 8pm?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Hours for the helpline in my opinion, a bit naughty though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Might sound a bit cynical but they've probably done that deliberately to catch people out.

Appeal and see what happens don't think they can double for appealing time only for foot draggers. Just ask when you call.
      05-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
If they have a discount to pay quickly I would. I left the ticket upside down because there was writing on both sides.... Croydon council wouldn't accept it even though I have a valid ticket. Paid £20 and moved on. Feel that the writing on the back gets a good number of people not paying proper attention!
      05-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I'd say appeal, the sign is deliberately misleading and they may even change it. I don't think your fine can go up if you appeal, I could be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #8
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

That sign is for their call line, quite clear in my eyes!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #9
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Try ringing the number and ask them their opening hours. If they are different then that adds weight to your argument.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

You need to post up the other picture, the one with the T&C's, which is probably where they spell out parking ticket operation times, not that one that seems quite clear it is the help line opening hours.

Annoying but I would just pay the reduced amount and move on.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:50 AM   #11
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You need to post up the other picture, the one with the T&C's, which is probably where they spell out parking ticket operation times, not that one that seems quite clear it is the help line opening hours.

Annoying but I would just pay the reduced amount and move on.
Yeah I do feel annoyed, as I went over and would have put a few pounds in if I thought I needed to. The place was deserted! I suppose in 2017 we do have parking wardens patrolling late at night on weekends.

I've got a couple of weeks to appeal before the money goes up, so I'll try anyway.
      05-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i EBII

No harm formally appealing. During the appeal process the clock is effectively stopped so if the appeal was unsuccessful you don't pay double the fine - that's my experience.

With photos, write the council a letter or an email with read receipt to explain the situation (1st time parked there, noticed confused you into thinking it was charged up to 6pm, it was dark etc) and hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #13
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

It's the customer services number opening hours.
But as it's on the machine i can see how it's confusing..
Was it definitely council property you parked on and not some private operation?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

defo to catch you out - who cares about the hours of a phone number if they are closed there should be a recorded message. Its also interesting that they split Mon-Sat and Sun so appearing to be reduced hours for a Sunday etc as we expect for parking charges. They are also the same blooming times! (you can see they have changed mon-sat as it has a sticker over it)

It draws attention to the hours of operation and I would have probably done the same thing... its certainly not clear IMO
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2017, 03:57 AM   #15
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

If it's the council, I'd say you're best off calling them and hopefully you'll get a nice Doris on the other end that you can flatter. Explain that you genuinely went to pay, but saw the sign and interpreted it, offer to pay the parking fee over the phone as it wasn't your intention to do them out of money etc etc and see where it gets you. At no point confirm you were the driver though

If it was a private company, I'd say go full out letters etc, they deserve it. Might be worth popping over to Pepipoo and see if anything similar crops up in the search function.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
It's the customer services number opening hours.
But as it's on the machine i can see how it's confusing..
Was it definitely council property you parked on and not some private operation?
It was in the grounds of a private football stadium but managed by council traffic enforcement. I've sent an appeal but heard nothing. I'll phone them tomorrow.