F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
GetBMWParts

09-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #1123
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d M-Sport (2013)

No, its not a HU app, you install it on your own and recognize the scroll from idrive but not the idrive click....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cederron View Post
Are we talking about Autoplay Carplay, is this a stock HU app? (dont own iphone, so not very informed about this topic).
If its a HU app then they should be able to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #1124
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Dont know, im not really into this topic...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #1125
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Been playing with it.
Problem is with the "_reset" tag, the installer does not recognize it as an update, dont add it.

Now the task killer is working using the new whitelist, tested with Youtube Premium and is not being killed.
What I did is a factory reset after the update.
Be prepared to navigate chinese menus
Factory reset via the menu?
Is the MCU and autoconfig also resetted or only the android part?
to which software does it reset?

I have managed to get it back to the prev rev...

regarding the above, my interpretation: The know sends a code from a switch. this is send to the MCU that translates it to android code.
For left and right, this is done and the code can be interpreted by the carplay (like keyboard shortcut keys) and voila.
The enter is just not done, perhaps due to the limited amount of uniques code possibilities for example.
No idea if this is correct but Ill discuss with Louie (he is getting tired of me about this I think).

Last edited by DRuw; 09-06-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:55 PM   #1126
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Factory reset via the menu?
Is the MCU and autoconfig also resetted or only the android part?
to which software does it reset?

I have managed to get it back to the prev rev...
Reset via android settings, it resets to the latest firmware you have installed.
Mine is working just fine, some apps that where preinstalled are missing, but you can add them after.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 01:59 PM   #1127
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Reset via android settings, it resets to the latest firmware you have installed.
Mine is working just fine, some apps that where preinstalled are missing, but you can add them after.
Okidoki, that will be my morning drive task then
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #1128
Supernova66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Settings

So, what is the correct (best) setting in factory settings for bluetooth. My bluetooth icon on the HU will occasionally be lit, and other times not.

Oh, and can someone explain what the different options are?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #1129
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
That's really interesting..
2 questions:
- Can you share with us Zbox.apk? I can't find it on the web, I'd like to try it
- Did you try to map the button both with TYPE_A and TYPE_B idrive (in factory setting)?
So, to be clear, there are (at least) two different Carplay dongles out there. There is the one that is recognized by and operated via Autoplay and there is another that is recognized by and operated via the Zbox app. One dongle will not work with the other APK. I actually have both dongles - all in the interest of science. That said, I can find and upload the Zbox app if you still want it.

Your second question is a good one, too. I know that I've played around with both Idrive "types," but I don't know if I tried programming a button in both versions. I suspect it probably won't matter, but I'll try it this weekend and report back.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #1130
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
hmm very interesting finding. Have you managed to map any key to your car or to another car?
No. The only key I am able to map is the "Nav" key on the CIC Idrive controller, because the head unit OS permits you to assign a Navigation app. This, of course, is assigned to Autoplay.

This does bring up an interesting parallel, though. If the head unit firmware can create an allowance to reassign a menu item and the associated physical button, why can't the manufacturer (Ugode in your guys' cases) expand this capability to reassign other items?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #1131
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My vision being a programer is that the MCU gets the Car button presses and sends them to the EventCenter app, EventCenter generates Intents(kind of events) that are readed by the hu specific apps, like the stock hu launcher.
In android 4 these intents can be translated to key presses, but in Android 7 permissions are tighter and this is not allowed.
Thats why Idrive buttons only work in the HU apps that have been coded to read these intents.
But external apps are not coded to read these intents and intents are not being translated to key presses.
I think you're absolutely on the right track. The question becomes, is there no hope because of Android 7.1, or could the firmware developer open things up for more control?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #1132
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
That's not a stock hu app, I've installed it lately with the dongle..

Anyway, long story short:
- We are not able to open apps on CarPlay clicking the knob
- We are able to scroll through apps on CarPlay using the knob

I'm not an expert, I want this to be clear, but if you're saying that "knob inputs" can't be assigned to "CarPlay outputs", why turning the knob makes me navigate through the apps?!

To make sure I'm explaining my issue well.. look at this video

I CAN do what he's doing from 0.06 to 0.11.. but I cannot do what he's doing in the last second of the video, where he's opening the app..
This is the million dollar question. As I mentioned above, this became even clearer to me when I tried the Zbox dongle, which CANNOT scroll, nor accept a button press. The developer for the Autoplay app has something in the code, perhaps unwittingly, that let's it hijack focus for the idrive knob scrolling, but not the button press. Is there anyone in here that can decompile the Autoplay app and determine what code let's it hijack scrolling?

I'd be happy to provide the APKs for both the Autoplay and Zbox for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 02:58 AM   #1133
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Following my review of using a jailbroken iphone 5 with carbridge (see carbridge also in youtube:
)
I have to say that if you follow simple rules, its very stable and google maps, waze and all other apps are working very fast and stable.

Rule1: After initial connection, you see in iphone screen the carbridge logo. You have to wait for carplay adapter to show carplay icons and then click iphone button.
Rule2: For google maps to work, you must see iphone icons in your iphone and not carbridge logo. You must click iphone button following rule1.
Rule3: iphone battery >70%.

Google Maps, Waze, Spotify are running perfect and very smooth. I cant imagine how better this experience would be with a newer iphone e.g. iphone 6s, 8 or X. It would be blazing faster!!

Quote:
Here is the video with CarBridge on ugode and ugode CarPlay:
https://mab.to/B1wKMf4bF
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #1134
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After decompiling the autoplay apk and taking a first look at the decompiled code, the first finding is that the developer runs some different code for android4 and for android7.

I think we must try to find the developer of this code, because if we had the code we could easily debug with ugode system and specific car and see what is wrong. Ugode or autoplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
This is the million dollar question. As I mentioned above, this became even clearer to me when I tried the Zbox dongle, which CANNOT scroll, nor accept a button press. The developer for the Autoplay app has something in the code, perhaps unwittingly, that let's it hijack focus for the idrive knob scrolling, but not the button press. Is there anyone in here that can decompile the Autoplay app and determine what code let's it hijack scrolling?

I'd be happy to provide the APKs for both the Autoplay and Zbox for comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:46 AM   #1135
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

We need this thing for Android
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 03:54 AM   #1136
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I found someone and contacted him, that knows and speaks with the autoplay developer. Hope to have news in the next days. I will keep you informed.

Quote:
After decompiling the autoplay apk and taking a first look at the decompiled code, the first finding is that the developer runs some different code for android4 and for android7.

I think we must try to find the developer of this code, because if we had the code we could easily debug with ugode system and specific car and see what is wrong. Ugode or autoplay.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 05:35 AM   #1137
lindstroem
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d xdrive 190hk 2017

Quote:
I found someone and contacted him, that knows and speaks with the autoplay developer. Hope to have news in the next days. I will keep you informed.
Awesome progress! Love that this forum have so many knowledgeable and dedicated members.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:27 AM   #1138
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep

Went back to previous revision and updated again to the latest.
Seems it works now (DAB kept playing this morning with Waze on screen) but need some more testing
I think I need to get an Iphone just for my car hahaha

cederron How did you factory reset the unit?
When I press the reset on the software menu it says reset succesfull but I have no clue what it does since nothing really happens....
All apps and settings are still there.
Allthough it works now as it seems, I still like to have a fresh install, just to be sure...

Last edited by DRuw; 09-07-2018 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 06:55 AM   #1139
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After latest app update, I have no front camera signal. Louie said that appupdate did not mess with that layer and its mcu responsibility. I reinstalled latest mcu but problem remains.

Anyone with front camera?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 07:18 AM   #1140
cederron
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
Went back to previous revision and updated again to the latest.
Seems it works now (DAB kept playing this morning with Waze on screen) but need some more testing
I think I need to get an Iphone just for my car hahaha

cederron How did you factory reset the unit?
When I press the reset on the software menu it says reset succesfull but I have no clue what it does since nothing really happens....
All apps and settings are still there.
Allthough it works now as it seems, I still like to have a fresh install, just to be sure...
You do it in Android settings.
Android settings -> Backup & Restore ->Factory Reset (or something similar)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #1141
wacky007
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320i

Quote:
After latest app update, I have no front camera signal. Louie said that appupdate did not mess with that layer and its mcu responsibility. I reinstalled latest mcu but problem remains.

Anyone with front camera?
Have you checked the setting in factory setup?
What is the setting there regarding DVR?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #1142
mike78
Second Lieutenant
Rep

its cvbs dvr. I tried to set it to none and again cvbs dvr but this also didnt work...

I remember that there was a problem at start with the screen not providing voltage for the front camera and it solved with an mcu update.

I hope its not a cable problem, because it would be a very extreme coincidence for cable loose scenario during app update. (i remember I checked front camera right before app update).

Also, I think but I am not 100% sure, that at first boot with new app, I show front camera correctly and then nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky007 View Post
Have you checked the setting in factory setup?
What is the setting there regarding DVR?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #1143
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Excellent work! I'm not much use in the programming department, but I'll be happy to provide a platform for testing if you're able to get the code.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #1144
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Hello to all once more.
I bought the unit from Ugode also.
My unit is for BMW E60 CCC .
Ordered the unit and was shipped from Italy. I had it in my hands in 4 days without custom taxes etc.
I bought it for 400 $ .
Not bad at all.
The package had not inside the usb cables but a simple message to Louie and Alice solved the problem and the cables are on it`s way with FedEx without charge of course.
I installed the unit and i bought a universal external mic to connect it to the unit. ( it is working although when i talk to people they claim that they hear me a bit far away.I have installed the external mic on the left pillar high enough and looking at me. Does the original Ugode external mic have the same behavior ? )
Everything is working very good for now.
For navigation i use sygic and is working excellent.
Some crashes here and there but nothing serious.
The firmware that the unit had was from July and i am not able to update it until the usb cables arrive .
Although i think that i might not touch it at all since the update for task killer etc does not concern me .
I do not use other apps most of the time and when i am stationary i do not care for multitasking too much.
I have to say the best about Ugode`s feedback and response times.
They are always helpful and fast in their answers .
I am very happy with the unit since my car had not navi or Bluetooth and had the small 6,5 screen.
Huge upgrade for the things the unit i want to do.
I would like to be able to root it safely and use a cpu program to overclock the cpu because my unit because of the location, ( inside the dash ) does not suffer from sun heat.
I have installed the Ugode gps antenna into the shark fin on the roof , accessed under the roof liner and feed the cable till the unit from the roof liner , down to the A pillar , behind the instrument cluster and finally to the unit.
Signal lock instantly and using GPS Test app shows very strong and accurate satellite signal either into the city either on the highway.
I have installed aftermarket backup camera with the relay method and works without problems.
I have installed a front camera also which works very good for now.
Do you all have the no signal from front camera after the latest update or only one person does?
For now the only issue is the " far away " voice when talking to phone from the extrenal mic.
Any suggestions for external mic appreciated !!!
Appreciate 0