F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Complete shut down! Need help
proTUNING Freaks

11-15-2020, 01:23 AM   #1
Hugocastonguay
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328D

Complete shut down! Need help

I'm new here so this is first post. I was at a red light so the engine stopped with auto stop and go. When I released the brake, COMPLETE SHUT DOWN!!!

The car just stopped and I had no electrical power of any sort... I was wondering if that ever happened to anyone here?!?!

Had to call police and towing in order to get me out of the middle of the road. I've always maintained the car and had no warning lights of any sort beforehand. I was coming back from a 400 km trip and was only 3km away from my house!! Will call the dealer on monday to see what happened. Should I ask a neighbor to come try to boost me? Or try anything in the meantime?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #2
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugocastonguay View Post
I'm new here so this is first post. I was at a red light so the engine stopped with auto stop and go. When I released the brake, COMPLETE SHUT DOWN!!!

The car just stopped and I had no electrical power of any sort... I was wondering if that ever happened to anyone here?!?!

Had to call police and towing in order to get me out of the middle of the road. I've always maintained the car and had no warning lights of any sort beforehand. I was coming back from a 400 km trip and was only 3km away from my house!! Will call the dealer on monday to see what happened. Should I ask a neighbor to come try to boost me? Or try anything in the meantime?
did your alternator die and the battery wasn't charging? Never heard this happen before
      11-15-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
Hugocastonguay
Registered
Rep

I dont think so... normally when alternator dies it gives you a warning that you have low voltage. The way the car shut down was just like loosing power in your house. Everything stopped at once and nothing worked. It’s just like the battery has been completely disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #4
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

Quote:
I dont think so... normally when alternator dies it gives you a warning that you have low voltage. The way the car shut down was just like loosing power in your house. Everything stopped at once and nothing worked. It's just like the battery has been completely disconnected.
Uggg! Sorry man. You are taking it in to the shop and thats smart. Btw, have you tried restarting it after it has been idle for a while? I'm just curious...not that I expect it to be fixed magically.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
Hugocastonguay
Registered
Rep

Smile

Thanks guys for your help!! I went in the trunk from the backseats in order to open the trunk and gain access to the battery. When I looked at the battery I touched the negative terminal and the car came back alive! Probably the previous owner disconnected the battery once and forgot to screw the 10mm nut to the battery terminal. I screwed it back on and the car was good as new! The issue was a loose negative terminal on the battery. So simple and plain! I'm happy to not be down 2,000$ for an electrical problem!
Appreciate 4
BWbimmer276.50
KRS_SN13401.50
      11-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Thanks guys for your help!! I went in the trunk from the backseats in order to open the trunk and gain access to the battery. When I looked at the battery I touched the negative terminal and the car came back alive! Probably the previous owner disconnected the battery once and forgot to screw the 10mm nut to the battery terminal. I screwed it back on and the car was good as new! The issue was a loose negative terminal on the battery. So simple and plain! I'm happy to not be down 2,000$ for an electrical problem!
All is well that ends well - without unnecessary repair costs! How is the weather in Montreal at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #7
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
All is well that ends well - without unnecessary repair costs! How is the weather in Montreal at the moment?
Is this the public weather thread? Came here on a google hit.

How's the weather in Cali at the moment?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Is this the public weather thread? Came here on a google hit.

How's the weather in Cali at the moment?
With microscopic particles of ash no longer present, the weather has settled in a predictably narrow and narrow band: 70-77 degrees Fahrenheit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Sigtran
Private
Serbia
Rep
Drives: F30 320d xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The issue was a loose negative terminal on the battery. So simple and plain! I'm happy to not be down 2,000$ for an electrical problem!
Such catastrophic sudden failures usually have a very simple cause, a dead fuse, loose connection etc...

It is very strange that car did not register absolutely any issue before it happen (it has a IBS and lot of sensors and intelligence about battery power), but as seen, not impossible to happen.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #10
HarryTee
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4CP & 2017 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigtran View Post
Such catastrophic sudden failures usually have a very simple cause, a dead fuse, loose connection etc...

It is very strange that car did not register absolutely any issue before it happen (it has a IBS and lot of sensors and intelligence about battery power), but as seen, not impossible to happen.
My guess is that although the nut on the cable was not tightened, it was still in good contact with the terminal. At the particular traffic lights where the car shut down, the braking may be a bit abrupt/ vigorous, which broke off the contact.

Last edited by HarryTee; 11-27-2020 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 0