F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Melted Light Connector, Rear Left
proTUNING Freaks

12-04-2020, 11:38 PM   #89
dirkin
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport - Black Saphire

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothernguyen View Post
Great video! I wish this was around when I was fixing my tail light a few years ago. I also left this comment on the YT comments as well for others to reference.

Looking at how you did it (and how I did it), you don't really need to buy a NEW bulb socket or socket repair kit. You can use your existing socket/housing and just buy only the female quick disconnect and 14 gauge wire. Simply expose the brown (ground wire), and connect that ground to the white wire that you bought and run it like you did in the rest of the video, connecting the white cable to the metal tab you pried up.

The part at 17:38 where you pried up the metal piece, that is the male connector that would have otherwise connected to your newly made brown/ground connection. So pulling that metal tab up makes the earlier socket repair/repinning process pointless unless when the pin got burned and melted that it damaged the adjacent pins. You would save yourself some money and extra steps.

Cheers!
This really helped me out - I was dreading taking my car to the repair shop. Followed the instructions and didn't need to replace any parts - just bypassed the connector and routed the brown ground wire directly as indicated. All sorted and including buyin a 18 pack of female connector spades, electrical wire and a wire stripper/crimper tool total cost was AUD27.00 - result!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #90
hkkc
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305f30 View Post
Hey guys, I've had the melted brake light connector problem before. My advice to anybody experiencing this problem is to definitely change out those halogens to LEDs..or else the current draw of the halogens will continue to melt the connector. It's also an easer alternative for those uncomfortable with soldering. I switched to LEDs in the rear about 6 months ago and haven't had anymore issues.
Can you share the LED information? I want to change them
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #91
drwtsn32
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435xi, 2016 MB GLA250

Thanks to everyone posting great info in this thread! I already had some wire and only needed to buy the disconnects.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:41 PM   #92
Bizzysmallz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. I did this DIY. 2014 f30. I changed the connector and the bulb holder. Routed the ground cable directly to the metal piece. Brake light functions just fine. I can’t get the turn signal to work?? I don’t know what it could be?? Bulbs and holder are brand new. No issues with the brake light, but the turn signal still won’t work... any help or suggestions?? This is driving me crazy! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:39 PM   #93
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What can go wrong are the bulb, connector, wiring, fuse and rear electronics module.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 05:49 PM   #94
Bizzysmallz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i

If the taillight and brake light work, could the electronic module or fuse still be out?? Or can I eliminate that if the other lights work. All the lights except the turn signal work. The bulb is new as well. I’m stumped. I may try to redo the connections on the connector again, but they look fine. I don’t know what else it could be. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:48 PM   #95
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's possible that just that circuit is blown in the REM, but I doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #96
alex0607
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 & E60

Looks like a common issue on F30. Same thing my left rear light went out. Did the work around method and now my light is working again.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #97
nWinter
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

I had the same issue on left rear brake light as described in this thread: connector for ground completely melted so I cut brown wire close to the connector then attached a larger wire to it, which I ran through socket housing and attached to metal ground plate. I followed the quick fix for this problem and the issue was resolved...or so I thought.

The brake light still continues to slowly cook over time, the bulb base gets melted and the brake bulb socket contact is now burnt. I'm guessing the bulbs draw too much current and the socket fixture can't handle it, hence the melting and then the open circuit. If I clean the socket and replace the bulb, then it will just melt the new bulb base in a year or so. Is there anything I'm missing here besides a design flaw? How would I fix this permanently? Ty in advance for help.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #98
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Switch to LED bulbs, they draw 1/10 the current that incandescent do. You will need to code them with Bimmercode or ESys. It looks like you've got corrosion too. Clean it with CRC Contact Cleaner, then apply dielectric grease to the bulb base when you install it. I replaced all my bulbs with LED, not only to reduce current draw but also because they're brighter and react faster.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #99
nWinter
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Switch to LED bulbs, they draw 1/10 the current that incandescent do. You will need to code them with Bimmercode or ESys. It looks like you've got corrosion too. Clean it with CRC Contact Cleaner, then apply dielectric grease to the bulb base when you install it. I replaced all my bulbs with LED, not only to reduce current draw but also because they're brighter and react faster.
Thanks for recommendation, I'll try those products. What LED do you recommend?

My car could use some coding like updating maps, coding front LEDs and potentially rear LEDs. It's been a few years since I coded the car last and I just been putting it off. I know coding is not hard but I'd have to re-learn the process, gather all the latest info, re-arm Esys...need to find the motivation.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #100
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

My F34 uses these:
Brake https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Backup https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turn https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A77TT7U
/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But yours may be different, BMW is weird that way. It's best to make sure what incandescent bulbs yours uses and then find LEDs that match the stock bases.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 04:51 PM   #101
wolfief30
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Does anyone know which cable color does what function?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 02:53 PM   #102
jsantiagochavez
Jose
Rep
Drives: 428i

To it may concern:
I have read few comments and one of the have been the left rear breake/signal light malfunction.
Yes iam facing the same problem. It appears that it is the manufacturer issue but BMW does not want to be taking any responsibility. Can anyone help me by giving me an advice on these frequent issues with a lot of cars of BMW. First time owning a BMW but I only have had bad experience with BMW product/customer service with is all bad taste.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #103
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Everything you need to know to fix this problem is in this thread.
Appreciate 0