F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F36 M Performance replica wrap or paint?
ARMA SPEED

02-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

F36 M Performance replica wrap or paint?

So, I am changing car and joining F36 gang. I will have m-sport and I am planning to go for m Performance spoilers etc route. I will buy replicas and was wondering have anybody wrapped those with carbon fibre wrapping or painted those to have cf look? If yes any comments or recomendations?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
So, I am changing car and joining F36 gang. I will have m-sport and I am planning to go for m Performance spoilers etc route. I will buy replicas and was wondering have anybody wrapped those with carbon fibre wrapping or painted those to have cf look? If yes any comments or recomendations?
I would recommend you buy CF ones to begin with. The wraps never look good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Quote:
I agree that wraps are usually shitty. That's why I am leaning toward painting them with either carbon look spray kit or maybe high gloss paint. Any experience on those paints?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #4
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I agree that wraps are usually shitty. That's why I am leaning toward painting them with either carbon look spray kit or maybe high gloss paint. Any experience on those paints?
Nope and don't see the point. Why not just get cf to begin with? Less work and concerns. If you're going replica, cf ones don't cost much more than non-cf.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #5
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nope and don't see the point. Why not just get cf to begin with? Less work and concerns. If you're going replica, cf ones don't cost much more than non-cf.
Really? At least in EU so far what I have seen the non cf kit is about 500-600€ and cf replicas 1500->

I am willing to do the work that is not the problem as I enjoy working on cars, furnitures etc. Just curious about the end results.

BTW I dont have any special desire to for cf (look) so gloss would probably look as good (not sure about, though)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:23 AM   #6
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Really? At least in EU so far what I have seen the non cf kit is about 500-600€ and cf replicas 1500->

I am willing to do the work that is not the problem as I enjoy working on cars, furnitures etc. Just curious about the end results.

BTW I dont have any special desire to for cf (look) so gloss would probably look as good (not sure about, though)
Good lord that's way too much for non-OEM reps. Where are you seeing these prices?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:28 AM   #7
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Good lord that's way too much for non-OEM reps. Where are you seeing these prices?
I am talking about "whole" exterior kit inc; diffusor, lip rear spoiler, front lip spoiler, mirror caps, side skirts and side tape. The problem miggt be that in cf no whole kit is present at ome dealer thus, i need to
source them from few different vendor which raisds the cost.

Currently I have found the cf's from few german tuning sites. Cant refer those atm as I am only on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am talking about "whole" exterior kit inc; diffusor, lip rear spoiler, front lip spoiler, mirror caps, side skirts and side tape. The problem miggt be that in cf no whole kit is present at ome dealer thus, i need to
source them from few different vendor which raisds the cost.

Currently I have found the cf's from few german tuning sites. Cant refer those atm as I am only on the phone.
Gotcha, can't comment on that from a European standpoint but if you're going aftermarket generally it shouldn't be TOO much of a difference. When you say side tape I'm not sure what you're referring to, is it the M Performance sideskirt sticker? If so you should stick to OEM for that as the aftermarket ones are awful. Mirror caps and spoiler you can buy painted gloss black to begin with usually though. If it's a side project and you work on it though, go for it!
Appreciate 0