F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Matt reviews the mobile barbeque grille
Studio RSR

03-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #1
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Matt reviews the mobile barbeque grille

Feast your eyes on this hunk of loveliness...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #2
Oceanic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

God just look at it, and this is progress?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

I like it, especially the front end which I think works better than the X3 and even the (newer) X5. Feels like they held back the styling of the X5 a little to give the X7 the most modern front.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #4
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I am of the view the BMW have lost the plot with their design language, at least as far as European tastes are concerned. I buy a car (almost) as much for its external looks as how it drives; call me shallow (and you undoubtedly will) but I want to take pleasure in looking at what I've spent a shitload of money on, not faintly nauseous.

If we lived in a country where driving could be enjoyed to the potential of our cars, without either becoming a 'public menace' or having a compacted spine and no fillings, then I might gloss over the looks of a car to a degree in favour of power/handling/poise. Sadly though we increasingly have to put up with third-world roads policed by risk-averse vegan joy-deniers, so maybe style does matter over substance.

If this is how BMW are evolving the look of their cars - at least the ones I can afford - then sadly I'm out at renewal next year.
Appreciate 5
Oceanic165.50
Soul_Glo13343.50
Edinburra546.50
      03-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
I am of the view the BMW have lost the plot with their design language, at least as far as European tastes are concerned. I buy a car (almost) as much for its external looks as how it drives; call me shallow (and you undoubtedly will) but I want to take pleasure in looking at what I've spent a shitload of money on, not faintly nauseous.

If we lived in a country where driving could be enjoyed to the potential of our cars, without either becoming a 'public menace' or having a compacted spine and no fillings, then I might gloss over the looks of a car to a degree in favour of power/handling/poise. Sadly though we increasingly have to put up with third-world roads policed by risk-averse vegan joy-deniers, so maybe style does matter over substance.

If this is how BMW are evolving the look of their cars - at least the ones I can afford - then sadly I'm out at renewal next year.
I agree with you overall on BMW's design direction - dislike the new 3 and 7 LCI. I do like the new lights on the X7 though.

Styling has always been a matter for compromise for me, as I can't see it from inside. But the F36 years have been immensely enjoyable, I still can't resist looking back at it and even yesterday, returning home driving my wife's car, I thought how damn good it looks sat on the driveway.

I don't see a single model in the Gxx range that would have me feeling the same way, even the 8-series is overdone and at that price I would be looking at different manufacturers for a style-led choice.

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I agree with you overall on BMW's design direction - dislike the new 3 and 7 LCI. I do like the new lights on the X7 though.

Styling has always been a matter for compromise for me, as I can't see it from inside. But the F36 years have been immensely enjoyable, I still can't resist looking back at it and even yesterday, returning home driving my wife's car, I thought how damn good it looks sat on the driveway.

I don't see a single model in the Gxx range that would have me feeling the same way, even the 8-series is overdone and at that price I would be looking at different manufacturers for a style-led choice.
I agree that there are elements of BMW design that I quite like, but I think the overall coherence of the language has been lost in an effort perhaps to be all things to all markets. I think the bloated grille is a case in point, which I understand is a sop to Asian markets where a 'statement' is more relevant. I guess it's a cultural thing, and as a global manufacturer it's hard to come up with a design language & style that ticks all cultural boxes.

How we emotionally engage with things is as important as what they actually deliver, and your point about the F36 is well made.

Say what you will about Audi in terms of driving satisfaction and overall design, but they've worked hard I think to create a consistency across their ranges that is significantly more coherent and canted towards understated style than either BMW and Mercedes in recent years.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Quote:

I agree that there are elements of BMW design that I quite like, but I think the overall coherence of the language has been lost in an effort perhaps to be all things to all markets. I think the bloated grille is a case in point, which I understand is a sop to Asian markets where a 'statement' is more relevant. I guess it's a cultural thing, and as a global manufacturer it's hard to come up with a design language & style that ticks all cultural boxes.

How we emotionally engage with things is as important as what they actually deliver, and your point about the F36 is well made.

Say what you will about Audi in terms of driving satisfaction and overall design, but they've worked hard I think to create a consistency across their ranges that is significantly more coherent and canted towards understated style than either BMW and Mercedes in recent years.
You've seen the Q8, right?

Again, I agree with you overall. Mercedes lost me years ago, with their emphasis on bling. Their interiors in particular are a million miles away from being to my taste. Versus Audi's very tasteful interiors that also coherently work with the exterior.

As you say, emotional connection is a major factor and I do struggle with that with Audi, they leave me a bit cold. BMW would too, if it wasn't for the engineering excellence that lives underneath most models. Emotional connection has been one of the major factors in my next car choice, ultimately it's the cars that I connected with and felt at home in that jumped to the top of the list.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
You've seen the Q8, right?

Again, I agree with you overall. Mercedes lost me years ago, with their emphasis on bling. Their interiors in particular are a million miles away from being to my taste. Versus Audi's very tasteful interiors that also coherently work with the exterior.

As you say, emotional connection is a major factor and I do struggle with that with Audi, they leave me a bit cold. BMW would too, if it wasn't for the engineering excellence that lives underneath most models. Emotional connection has been one of the major factors in my next car choice, ultimately it's the cars that I connected with and felt at home in that jumped to the top of the list.
I find my Audi gives me that feeling of engineering excellence which recent experience with BMW had not given. I like the interior, and I think it looks OK from outside - but the main thing is it looks discrete.

I am not sure about Mercedes. Been in son in laws E450 coupe recently and that is nice inside, I think it is the AMG badged models that are too blingy...

I know that you have something new on order - and I do like the looks of those. I just couldnt buy one because of the lack of excellence in manufacture (and the RR badged ones are way too OTT inside for my taste). Having had two F Pace's in the family that have had too many electrical gremlins (one of which was returned) I am out for now on them... which is a shame as I like the I Pace.

The X7 seems to have taken the worst bits of the Merc GLS and Q7 (neither of which are lookers) and made them worse. Still it could be a D5
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Looks fab.
      03-20-2019, 10:47 AM   #10
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
God just look at it, and this is progress?
In China and the States there isn't really a BMW 7 seat offering, plugs a fairly critical market for them I'm sure.

Agree that 'still' shot looks terrible, no idea why they've gone back to that style of roof rails too. In some specs and colours it looks reasonable.

it is what it is though of course, giant beast of a car.
      03-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I really dont like big SUVs so I will try to be as objective as I can.
I think it's looks awful.
      03-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Feast your eyes on this hunk of loveliness...
Keep that Matt man crush under control!
Wills28647.00
      03-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #14
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Keep that Matt man crush under control!