F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 10 Years and what a difference
proTUNING Freaks

05-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #45
cooticooti16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooticooti16 View Post
Both you guys proved my point exactly... So thank you for that.

The loaner car and test drive car were both base models, and as you put it, were "trash" (your words not mine).

My window sticker, CNET, Edmunds, and Car and Driver all listed the MSRP of a 2006 BMW 330i as ~$36,300. Again, proving my point.

What is tough to swallow is that paying that amount back then for a base car was worth it because I felt I got more CAR for the money. Today we get more Tech and less car.

Also, it's your decision to "entertain my bitchin'" while making your own subjective comments and assumptions that daddy bought my car for me.

I never understood how personal attacks can evolve from someone's opinion on a company on these forums! I apologize to anyone I've offended for criticizing BMW for making the 328i more acceptable to the general public.

R.
Thank you sygazelle for another great post.

cooticooti16, let me put this too you like this. I'm not trying to be mean. This is a teachable moment. Most of us were you when we were your age; (young and dumb with an opinion pulled out of our ass). Sort of like the Alice Cooper classic song Eighteen. Back then, some older guy put us in our place; we learned from this lesson, so we're passing this well needed tradition on to you and others like you who will read these threads.

You're young and full of opinion, we get that. However, this is a very knowledgable forum. Add to that, that some people use this forum for education on BMW and other car topics and such. We owe it to those who do not yet know and are the uninitiated to be as accurate as possible.

You loaded up the keyboard with a rather douchey pontification about a product many of us have been driving for over a decade or more. Some of us have owned several of these cars. We do this thing for real, not fake or posing. Some of these old heads have made BMW such an object of desire. They built this brand on the back of the 3 series. The 3 is the market leader by a mile and has earned it's mettle, unlike the upstarts (ATS, IS, etc).

For you to come to a BMW 3 series forum and pronounce such flagrant inaccuracies, then denounce the very car that, again, made the brand, was not only rude, but total BS to begin with. The 328i, or smaller, lighter 3 is the essence of BMW. I said the base line is trash, and it is. Its called a performance sedan for a reason. The sport suspension is why guys started buying BMW in the first place.

You were attacked because there's no right to mouth off without consequences. I know your generation was raised to say whatever you "feel", but back in the day, kids got the crap knocked out of them for mouthing. Times have changed, so we have more brat behavior to deal with. Well, we won't deal with it, instead we'll crush it whenever necessary.

We can all debate; its healthy. But if you don't know, just say you don't know. Then we are more than happy to be helpful.
Threats are unnecessary, regardless of age or generation. But if you feel tougher because bullying was how it was back then, have at it, Sir. Please tell me more how "kids got the crap knocked out of them". It's exciting stuff, really.

You and I have the same opinion about the same car (base 328i).

Loaded, however, many of us can agree that the 328i is quite special. And so was a base 330i.

Times change, and I didn't expect to pay essentially 25% more in options just to enjoy my 335i. I see it as a base Golf vs GTI discussion. The GTI is worlds better, at a cost (but we all know that). Just like a F3X series with a M-Sport, DHP, etc.

R.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #46
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooticooti16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Both you guys proved my point exactly... So thank you for that.

The loaner car and test drive car were both base models, and as you put it, were "trash" (your words not mine).

My window sticker, CNET, Edmunds, and Car and Driver all listed the MSRP of a 2006 BMW 330i as ~$36,300. Again, proving my point.

What is tough to swallow is that paying that amount back then for a base car was worth it because I felt I got more CAR for the money. Today we get more Tech and less car.

Also, it's your decision to "entertain my bitchin'" while making your own subjective comments and assumptions that daddy bought my car for me.

I never understood how personal attacks can evolve from someone's opinion on a company on these forums! I apologize to anyone I've offended for criticizing BMW for making the 328i more acceptable to the general public.

R.
Thank you sygazelle for another great post.

cooticooti16, let me put this too you like this. I'm not trying to be mean. This is a teachable moment. Most of us were you when we were your age; (young and dumb with an opinion pulled out of our ass). Sort of like the Alice Cooper classic song Eighteen. Back then, some older guy put us in our place; we learned from this lesson, so we're passing this well needed tradition on to you and others like you who will read these threads.

You're young and full of opinion, we get that. However, this is a very knowledgable forum. Add to that, that some people use this forum for education on BMW and other car topics and such. We owe it to those who do not yet know and are the uninitiated to be as accurate as possible.

You loaded up the keyboard with a rather douchey pontification about a product many of us have been driving for over a decade or more. Some of us have owned several of these cars. We do this thing for real, not fake or posing. Some of these old heads have made BMW such an object of desire. They built this brand on the back of the 3 series. The 3 is the market leader by a mile and has earned it's mettle, unlike the upstarts (ATS, IS, etc).

For you to come to a BMW 3 series forum and pronounce such flagrant inaccuracies, then denounce the very car that, again, made the brand, was not only rude, but total BS to begin with. The 328i, or smaller, lighter 3 is the essence of BMW. I said the base line is trash, and it is. Its called a performance sedan for a reason. The sport suspension is why guys started buying BMW in the first place.

You were attacked because there's no right to mouth off without consequences. I know your generation was raised to say whatever you "feel", but back in the day, kids got the crap knocked out of them for mouthing. Times have changed, so we have more brat behavior to deal with. Well, we won't deal with it, instead we'll crush it whenever necessary.

We can all debate; its healthy. But if you don't know, just say you don't know. Then we are more than happy to be helpful.
Threats are unnecessary, regardless of age or generation. But if you feel tougher because bullying was how it was back then, have at it, Sir. Please tell me more how "kids got the crap knocked out of them". It's exciting stuff, really.

You and I have the same opinion about the same car (base 328i).

Loaded, however, many of us can agree that the 328i is quite special. And so was a base 330i.

Times change, and I didn't expect to pay essentially 25% more in options just to enjoy my 335i. I see it as a base Golf vs GTI discussion. The GTI is worlds better, at a cost (but we all know that). Just like a F3X series with a M-Sport, DHP, etc.

R.
Threats? No one made any threats to you kid. You insulted around 80% of the forum. Now, you did apologize so all is forgotten. How else did you think we would respond?

Several of your posts since the controversial ones have been good, so please continue on.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #47
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

You keep talking about the 335i as the comparison to your 2006 330i. Its not a good comparison if you are trying to do a value comparison between your old car and a new BMW. The closest performance comparison is a 328i with m-sport and DHP. Your $36,300 2006 330i had no options. It was a base car. Granted it drove better because the suspension and handling was for enthusiasts out of the box.

To make a fair comparison, go to BMWNA and build a 328 m-sport with DHP and add exactly the same options that you had on your 2006 330i. Your answer will be about $44k.

If you take your $36,300 adjusted for inflation the result is about $43k. So, for $1k more you get a performance wise comparable car with vastly improved everything. That is the comparison.

Your comparison to a fully loaded 335i wouldn't pass the sniff test in a Business 101 class.

I know from where I speak. I drive a 328i m-sport with DHP. It is simply an amazing car and certainly not an embarrassment to the BMW name. My previous BMW was a 2003 BMW 540 with M-tech package and suspension, a truly great sedan by any measure. Yet, my 328i is faster, quicker, twice as fuel efficient, is about the same size, and has vastly better 8-speed automatic, not to mention safety features and standard electronics that are way ahead of the mid-2000's.

The problem you may have is finding a 328 properly equipped on the lot. Dealers don't stock DHP cars. I ordered DHP on faith and boy am I glad I did.

Anyway, if you think the 335i is your target car in 2015, that's fine. If you are upset that the 335i optioned the way you want is too expensive, that's too bad. BMW and other car companies have been adding packages that bring up the price of the base car by 25% for years and years. This is nothing new.

So, if you can afford it AND you want all those options, pay the $55-58k for a fully loaded 335i and quit the ridiculous comparison to a 9 year old car base car that is not in the same performance league with the 335i. If you don't want to pay that much, buy a 328 msport with DHP. If you can't afford it, buy used one. If you are mad at BMW because for whatever reason they have chosen to market a base car that you don't like, vote with your feet and leave the brand.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:25 AM   #48
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Has anyone else suffered sticker shock at the current 3-Series pricing? My old 2006 BMW with Sport, Premium, and Cold Weather package started at ~$36,000. The F30 335i starts $10k more before adding on the packages. I went in to test drive one, but didnt even bother after seeing the one I wanted reach $60k!!!

I'm 29, make an ok living, and my only debt is my house that will be paid off in <7 years total. But jeez, spending what is essentially 25% of my mortgage on a 335i just doesn't sit well, (especially since the F30 328i I previously drove was an embarrassment to the BMW name).

Maybe I'll pick up an E85/86 Z4M and pocket the remaining $35K for trips to meet you guys at Bimmerfests, Timmayfest and Cars and Coffee all over the country.

R.
Buy leased return.
Let the other poor stiff eat the depreciation. That's what I do.
I don't buy new cars. I'll buy 2-3 year old lease returns.
I drive, a lot, so I don't want to essentially drive 40% depreciation in a year or two. I buy low milage lease returns then put tons of miles on them.

Just say'n, let the other guy eat it.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1