F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Any negative sides of comfort access?
GetBMWParts

05-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
SGScuba
Private First Class
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
In that case, what is the point in CA? What a ludicrous waste of money! If anything, stoking the handle is less convenient if I want to get something out the back (which is an often occurrence) as I would get out, go to the back, open the door, retrieve my goods, close the door, then go back to the drivers door to stroke the handle, with an armful of guff. So if you can lock it from the fob, what's the bloody point in it?
I think the convenience is a little more apparent when "unlocking", rather than when "locking" the car.

That's when you don't have to fish your fob out of a pocket or (for ladies) handbag. I know my mother has such a cavernous handbag that it takes her quite a while to find her keys, phone, etc. If she can keep the fob in her bag and unlock just by stroking the handle to open the door, that would be quite useful.
Sport AT, Mineral Grey, Black interior, Alum w/ high-gloss black interior trim, Sports seats + Lumbar support, Harman Kardon sound, Nav system Prof, PDC (f+r), Rear view camera, comfort access, Xenon lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
So there are sensors on both front doors and the boot? But you can't use it with a glove on the hand, can you?
When you pressed the handle it opened.
Gloves shouldn't be a problem. You'll see that the car will lock/unlock from water when you wash it! Hehe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #25
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGScuba View Post
I think the convenience is a little more apparent when "unlocking", rather than when "locking" the car.

That's when you don't have to fish your fob out of a pocket or (for ladies) handbag. I know my mother has such a cavernous handbag that it takes her quite a while to find her keys, phone, etc. If she can keep the fob in her bag and unlock just by stroking the handle to open the door, that would be quite useful.
Hmm good point. I think CA is only useful for the ladies whom car keys never leave their cavernous handbag as you say. For me, I pick my key up and hold it (E90 though - would probably go straight in my trouser pocket for F30 since it only needs to be in the car for engine start) so it would of no or negligible benefit to have CA. Even if it was a £90 optional extra, I still couldn't justify the price unfortunately.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Hmm good point. I think CA is only useful for the ladies whom car keys never leave their cavernous handbag as you say. For me, I pick my key up and hold it (E90 though - would probably go straight in my trouser pocket for F30 since it only needs to be in the car for engine start) so it would of no or negligible benefit to have CA. Even if it was a £90 optional extra, I still couldn't justify the price unfortunately.
You and I are of the same mind my friend, perhaps differing only on your last point. I'd be willing to pay $200 to keep my hands out of my pockets and start wiggling my foot to pop the trunk, not for the inherent value in those luxuries but as an investment in the resale of the car.

Mother, forgive me…
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
You and I are of the same mind my friend, perhaps differing only on your last point. I'd be willing to pay $200 to keep my hands out of my pockets and start wiggling my foot to pop the trunk, not for the inherent value in those luxuries but as an investment in the resale of the car.

Mother, forgive me…
Good point on the resale value, but not an issue for me since I'm leasing it. And my mother will be a passenger at best!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #28
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Of course it is something that you can live without.

But not having to dig in your pocket for your key when you have your hands full, its raining, you have your kids with you or whatever is a nice feature. Now the F30 has keyless start anyway. But that was a nice feature before too.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #29
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I had never had any interest in CA, until it came with the PP on my 328i. I agree it will be hard to live without it now, I never have to touch my keys unless I want to lock it from a distance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Gloves shouldn't be a problem. You'll see that the car will lock/unlock from water when you wash it! Hehe
Okay, so it is a mechanical contact, not "touch".
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #31
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
On the trunk it is (was on the E9x).
But the door handels are touch-based.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg
Quote:
So if it's raining, the car could be doing bloody anything!! I REALLY do not want this feature!!! I understand that once the key goes out of range, the touchy things become inactive but I could turn my back and the car will unlock! Somebody could be in the bugger before I've even gone out of range!
CA would be awesome in an ideal world but unfortunately, precipitation is a cruel and unpredictable mistress, and there are bad people out there who will capitalise a light shower.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

one interesting question, imagine this, since the door handle will unlock based on physical touch of the door handle, per say you get in the car, no ignition yet, you lock the car from the inside and someone from the outside tries to get in to your car, since the CA can sense that the key is inside, would the door unlock in that case?

I hope you can imagine the scenario with my words....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #34
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
So if it's raining, the car could be doing bloody anything!! I REALLY do not want this feature!!! I understand that once the key goes out of range, the touchy things become inactive but I could turn my back and the car will unlock! Somebody could be in the bugger before I've even gone out of range!
CA would be awesome in an ideal world but unfortunately, precipitation is a cruel and unpredictable mistress, and there are bad people out there who will capitalise a light shower.
I understand that you really want to hate it and read everything like its bad.
No, the rain won't do anything. I was talking about a power washer aimed at the handle. There is a bigger risk that someone will open a door with the regular key as many people just lock the car going away from the car, without even looking. With CA you stand right by it, and as soon as you are a few feet away it is inactive.

Have you even used CA?
It seems like everyone that has loves it, but you that haven't hate it by default...
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:13 PM   #35
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL%% View Post
one interesting question, imagine this, since the door handle will unlock based on physical touch of the door handle, per say you get in the car, no ignition yet, you lock the car from the inside and someone from the outside tries to get in to your car, since the CA can sense that the key is inside, would the door unlock in that case?

I hope you can imagine the scenario with my words....
No, once the key is inside the car the doors won't react to that key. Otherwise there would be the perfect car to steal at the red lights
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #36
SL%%
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 525i

Quote:
No, once the key is inside the car the doors won't react to that key. Otherwise there would be the perfect car to steal at the red lights
thanks buddy since I have no idea or even tried that because I don't have any CA equipped so am kind of curious to know (:
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #37
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi
Quote:
I understand that you really want to hate it and read everything like its bad.
No, the rain won't do anything. I was talking about a power washer aimed at the handle. There is a bigger risk that someone will open a door with the regular key as many people just lock the car going away from the car, without even looking. With CA you stand right by it, and as soon as you are a few feet away it is inactive.

Have you even used CA?
It seems like everyone that has loves it, but you that haven't hate it by default...
I don't want to hate it, I just think that for me, it's a really poor feature regarding security and cost for negligible convenience. I'm glad some people like it and are making use of it but for me, I really don't get it - especially as the standard system is partially CA anyway what with not having to put the key in the slot for engine start.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #38
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

To be honest if I'd realised that even without CA, the F30 has keyless ignition then I probably wouldn't have bothered getting CA.

As for the rain opening and unlocking the car - seriously?!? CA is not a new feature, it's at least four years old. Even if BMW hadn't covered all the angles when they first released the option they definitely will have by now. There's no way something as silly as rain triggering the locks would still be an issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #39
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

For guys, the CA is not a big deal. Its nice to have, but not a must. For the ladies, its very helpful. Like someone mentioned earlier, they would not have to dig thru their handbag to find the key. I like the CA because I dont have to hear my keys jungle when I am driving, the keys are in my pocket jungle free
I am not sure if the F30's CA have sensors in the rear doors, the E90 doesnt. That would be one of the drawbacks if that is the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #40
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

We have CA on both of our cars and I love it. I would always get it again. I'm telling you once you get used to never taking the key out of your pocket, you find it annoying to actually insert it into the "ignition".

Having said that I have had 1 issue with CA. Often, when I valet, I separate the key fob from the metal key strip so that I can keep my personal keys with me and the valet only gets the empty fob. this is also good for locking the glove box. One time, the car locked all of us out with the fob inside while the car was running. It prob thought someone was in there. I had to call BMW assist and they took care of it in about 2 minutes.
      05-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #41
micknugget
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328 Red

It's amazing how lazy the human race has become. I understand that people like CA and it is more convenient but hearing people say that they could/would not do without it is kind of funny.

Remember the days when you actually had to put a key in the door lock? Then life became so much easier when all you had to do was press a button. Now people don't even want to have to do that. It's funny and sad at the same time.
      05-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #42
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

I often open one of the rear passenger doors to put a jacket or a bag on the seat. With CA I would have to "open" the driver's door first. That is the only real disadvantage I can think of right now. If the car has sensors on all doors that would not be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #43
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
I often open one of the rear passenger doors to put a jacket or a bag on the seat. With CA I would have to "open" the driver's door first. That is the only real disadvantage I can think of right now. If the car has sensors on all doors that would not be a problem.
that's true. it is more useful on our x5 than 3er b/c it activates all five doors for the x5. when I am carrying around the 40-lb 2-yr toddler and trying to stuff him into the car seat - CA is priceless.
      05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #44
lauruskamj
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknugget View Post
It's amazing how lazy the human race has become. I understand that people like CA and it is more convenient but hearing people say that they could/would not do without it is kind of funny.

Remember the days when you actually had to put a key in the door lock? Then life became so much easier when all you had to do was press a button. Now people don't even want to have to do that. It's funny and sad at the same time.
And remember when we had get out of the car and crank start engines, or better yet remember when we had to ride in a buggy behind a horse? My point being technology does not breed laziness it breeds convenience (no pun intended). Enjoy every convenience that you can. If you can't afford it or don't want to afford it fair enough, but it's a wonderful feature that is almost a must for me.
Appreciate 0