F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tyres - RFT/non-RFT?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #1
Simon89
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D XDrive

Tyres - RFT/non-RFT?

Guys,

Needing some tyres on the car, aside from being an XDrive I'm needing some recommendation for the car.

I'm swaying towards ditching the run flats and enjoying even more comfort from normal tyres.

So recommend away please!

Thanks
      09-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Hi
This won't be a popular opinion but after having both, I'll probably be going back to run flats.

The standard RFT Bridgestone tyres were awful so I changed to GoodYear AS3s non RFT (which were great).

However, after recently getting a puncture from hitting a pothole on the non RFTs and being stranded, it reminded me of all the punctures I've had, I would have been able to get home / to safety / place of repair in all cases if I'd had a RFT.

With non-RFT tyres, none of my punctures would have been repairable with gunk and when I have been able to limp home, the tyre would have had to be replaced anyway.

Now I could solve some of that headache carting around a spare tyre but I've also had the case where I couldn't get a wheel off because the alloy was stuck to the hub.

I believe other makes of RFTs aren't as bad as the Bridgestones but for me, I'd be happy compromising ride for the convenience of getting home in the rain after a puncture.
Appreciate 4
Fez_766.50
dizzy619446.50
vadimo310.00
KRS_SN13515.00
      09-04-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Have always been happy with RFT's and they've saved me on a number of occasions. Ride has always seemed more than adequate and I'm not racing the car, just using it for daily driving.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

I really rated the GoodYear ASY runflats. Found them comfortable, grippy, and they wore well.
If going non-runflat, I'd certainly go Michelin PS4. Great tyre. On your car, no need to get the PS4S as it'll be additional expense for no gain (only with your car being a non high-performance model).
      09-04-2020, 06:49 AM   #5
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Another vote for the RFT.

Sure, they are a harder ride but if my Wife ever gets a puncture, at least she can drive home instead of being stuck on the side of the road for hours waiting for breakdown with a baby in the back.

The caveats to RTF don't outweigh the benefits in my book but everyone is different.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Interesting. After so much positive feedback from people who have gone non-RFT after having used RFTs for a while, I am considering doing that for my summer tires next year (although my RFTs are in perfect shape).

Since I haven't been able to compare, I can only hope that what impresses people is true. I am hoping to get better grip, less noise and overall comfort improvement when I need it (in Comfort mode).

What is the difference between Michelin PilotSport 4S and PSS (and is there any other PS type)?

Also - can the TPMS sensors be simply reused with the new tires or do I need new ones?

Last edited by Skyhigh; 09-04-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Interesting. After so much positive feedback from people who have gone non-RFT after having used RFTs for a while, I am considering doing that for my summer tires next year (although my RFTs are in perfect shape).

Since I haven't been able to compare, I can only hope that what impresses people is true. I am hoping to get better grip, less noise and overall comfort improvement when I need it (in Comfort mode).

What is the difference between Michelin PilotSport 4 and PS4S?

Also - can the TPMS sensors be simply reused with the new tires or do I need new ones?
The TPMS is reused!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Thewrench86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 \M sport. F06 640d M Sport

I've got myself booked in for non rf ps4s on Monday. I read almost all threads about people switching and I just had enough of the harsh ride with rf's. I've bought some items to go in my boot to hopefully help in a situation I need to pump the tyre up or repair a puncture roadside. If all else fails I have AA.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewrench86 View Post
I've got myself booked in for non rf ps4s on Monday. I read almost all threads about people switching and I just had enough of the harsh ride with rf's. I've bought some items to go in my boot to hopefully help in a situation I need to pump the tyre up or repair a puncture roadside. If all else fails I have AA.
Out of interest, what car are these for? Only asking as I'm wondering why you'd spend more money on the 4S rather than the 4.... On anything other than a sports car

Real world on a 'normal' car, you won't feel any difference between the two.
      09-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
The TPMS is reused!
Very little difference between the normal 4 & the 4S. They're both Pilot Sport tyres.
The 4 is a premium sports tyre.
The 4S is a premium High performance sports tyre.

The 4S are therefore more expensive, and completely unnecessary for most mainstream cars unless you're putting serious power through them.... Which is why they offer the 'normal' PS4. Simples...
      09-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #11
MarkJS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Sport Coupe

I used to understand the dislike (hatred) of RFT when I had my E92 - it was bloody awful ride-wise with the 19” wheels with Bridgestone RE050’s on anything but freshly laid asphalt - but handled fantastically. I moved on from that to an Alfa Giulia Veloce sitting on the 18” wheels with Goodyear F1 RFT’s. The ride was sublime in comparison. I put that down largely to the car being on 18” wheels and Goodyear being better at RFT’s. But I am wrong. My latest LCI 440i Coupe is back on 19” wheels with the ‘dreaded’ Bridgestone S001 RFT tyres and it rides even better than the Alfa.

I do wonder whether the LCI was simply a huge step up with the suspension changes from the pre LCI cars or whether tyre technology has moved on massively. But, there is absolutely no way I would switch to non RFT rubber now.

Run-flat all the way for me.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
Quote:
Out of interest, what car are these for? Only asking as I'm wondering why you'd spend more money on the 4S rather than the 4.... On anything other than a sports car

Would you consider a 440i M Performance a Performance/Sport car or a „normal" car?
      09-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
BBri89
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d xDrive M Sport

Garage List
I'll never go back to runflats.

I've had 3 punctures in 15 years and probably 200,000 miles of driving.

One of those was a shattered wheel after hitting a 4-inch deep 90-degree edge on a concrete road into an industrial estate at 30mph.
With the RTF steel belt it could easily have transferred more energy into the car and bent things like suspension arms, struts or even turrets. I'd rather replace a wheel than a whole corner of suspension.

I've also got roadside recovery so if my can of tyre weld can't seal the puncture in my non-runflats then I'll just call them out.
But at 5 years and 70,000 miles between punctures on average, I'll take that risk. I'll probably only need to call them out once a decade or less.

If you do decide to go non-runflat, I've got Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and would 100% get them again.
The PS4 is also a very good tyre which will be cheaper than the PS4S.
Most premium brands are pretty similar these days though. Tyre Reviews youtube channel has some great comparisons that might help you decide.

My progress thread
Appreciate 4
sahajesh2294.00
335dX430.00
G50954.50
      09-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

I went from 19" runflats to 18" non-runflats.... (Pirelli P Zero)
It's dreamy!

Quieter, softer, cheaper, repairable.
I fully agree though for vulnerable drivers it sure is a nice safety net to have.

Last edited by M33DLO; 09-04-2020 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #15
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Why spend time changing repairing tyres in cold winter nights when you can drive on them
Agreed... I'll be proper pissed off and shaking my fist at the sky when that day comes and my stupid 'Mobility Kit' covers me with slimy gunk.
(but for the rest of 99.9% time driving, non-runflats, rule)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:34 PM   #16
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would you consider a 440i M Performance a Performance/Sport car or a "normal" car?
It's a sports coupe. Imo. Not a high performance sports coupe.
Put it this way, if I owned one, I'd have no reservations whatsoever in shodding it with a set of PS4 tyres.
      09-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJS View Post
tyre technology has moved on massively.
Had puncture in rft and tyre place fixing it was very surprised how soft they were, 2016 bridgestone S001 comparing to previous dealings with older rft tyres.
All comes to if you looking for comfort and quiet travelling - non rft, more secure"just in case" then rft .

Last edited by adam.b; 09-04-2020 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:17 AM   #18
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would you consider a 440i M Performance a Performance/Sport car or a "normal" car?
It's a sports coupe. Imo. Not a high performance sports coupe.
Put it this way, if I owned one, I'd have no reservations whatsoever in shodding it with a set of PS4 tyres.
Then follow-up question - what is the definition of a „high performance sports car", which would benefit from the S version, in your opinion?
      09-05-2020, 03:43 AM   #19
gr4z
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 e40

Just gone from Goodyear AS3 RFT to Michelin PS4 non RFT.

Wow what a difference. So much smoother, quieter, grippier. No banging and crashing around on the crap roads around where I live.

I honestly didn't think I would notice much of difference. I was wrong.
      09-05-2020, 04:47 AM   #20
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then follow-up question - what is the definition of a „high performance sports car", which would benefit from the S version, in your opinion?
Well, for example, "M" cars. There's so many.
And I guess there's lots that are close to where one would 'draw the line'. It's very personally subjective IMO.
It would be easy, just because of the power unit, to include a 440, just because it shares its engine with an M2 (non-comp). But they're entirely different cars, built for different purposes.
Please don't take my opinion the wrong way here, I'm genuinely curious as to tyre choice in this original thread scenario.
A PS4 tyre is perfectly suited for a 440, as it would be for, say, a 335d. Sure, you could put a 4S on (as many will do), I just don't understand why.
You wouldn't put a PS4 on a Citroen C1 would you? (even though you could). You'd pair it with the "appropriate" tyre for that car.
      09-05-2020, 08:08 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

If you ask me about my opinion - I don't think it is the type of car or engine that defines the need for tyres. It is how you use it. If you do drag racing and track racing with a C1, I am sure you could very well take advantage of premium tyres. Vice versa - I doubt that the 70 year old drivers of 450+ PS vehicles (like the Ms) would really benefit from ultra high performance tyres.

I enjoy the g-forces, lateral and longitudinal. Even with my Audi A3. And I do occasionally squeeze out every drop of performance from my GoodYear Eagle F1 tyres there.

Would I notice a difference between PS4 and PS4S on the appreciably more powerful 4 Series BMW? I have no clue, but I seriously doubt it. Looking at the price difference however - once you digest the price for PS4, you may as well go all the way. (I haven't really researched throughly yet, but I noticed a rather small price difference between the two. Please correct me if I am wrong).
      09-05-2020, 09:04 AM   #22
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Had Bridgestone run-flats on 19" wheels on my 3 series and they were noisy but hard waring.

Got Goodyear run-flats in 19" wheels on my 4 series GC and they are quieter. Happy with them.
Appreciate 0