F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Need new tires and have questions
Studio RSR

10-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
andyt26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Msport

Need new tires and have questions

So I understand that most BMW’s leave the dealer lots with run flat tires. I need to replace my tires soon and was wondering if it was necessary and mandatory to replace my worn out tires with new run flats or can I go with regular non run flat tires? If so, what are the pros and cons of run flats versus regular non run flats besides being able to drive on a flat tire for x amount of miles? Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
danperson1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 2013 335i xDrive

You can switch to non run flats. Your car doesn't have a jack or spare tire though so if you get a flat you're stuck using a fix a flat kit or calling roadside assistance.

Non run flats are less expensive, come in more sizes, have more options of brand, ride more comfortably, often make less noise, and are generally preferred.
Appreciate 1
johnung4525.00
      10-13-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt26 View Post
So I understand that most BMW’s leave the dealer lots with run flat tires. I need to replace my tires soon and was wondering if it was necessary and mandatory to replace my worn out tires with new run flats or can I go with regular non run flat tires? If so, what are the pros and cons of run flats versus regular non run flats besides being able to drive on a flat tire for x amount of miles? Thanks everyone!
Went from runflat 225/45-18 to summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40-18. Makes runflats seem like old wooden wagon wheels. In San Diego weather you can run these awesome tires all year round. Amazing on dry and on wet roads. Get a Slime 8-minute kit at Walmart $45. Harbor Freight has scissor jack, breaker bar & 17mm socket. See attached photo.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:49 PM   #4
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt26 View Post
The only thing I know of is that if you are leasing, and the car came equipped with RFT's, when/ if you return it at lease end it must be returned with. RFT's. As far as any warranty issues are concerned, I do not know how non RFT's will impact that, mbut if the stealership can find a way to deny a claim I'm sure they will jump on it. Such as: any warranty issue with suspension, brakes, steering the stealership will most probably try to blame the use of non-RFT's; but I do not see how they could use the non-RFT issue on things like defects in leather, defects in sound system, etc.
Appreciate 0