F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Playing music from iPod/iPhone
Studio RSR

12-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
vimy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 4 Series

Playing music from iPod/iPhone

I have taken delivery of my new F32 on Friday

Now I've been trying to setup my music, I have found a very strange issue with playback from iDevices.

When playing from my iPhone 6 (iOS 8.1), I find that it will not start playing the music even though I have selected a track. When looking at my phone I can see the song that was selected by iDrive is in the Now Playing in the music player, but I have to press play on the iPhone to actually get it to play. Once the music starts playing, I can skip and go back to the previous track via the iDrive. However if I try navigating playlists and selecting new music, it will show the now playing track on the iDrive but not play it, again it needs to be manually started from the phone.

Now I have tried with my iPod Nano (6th Gen), and it works flawlessly as expected with all control via the iDrive.

Can anyone explain why music doesn't play correctly with the iPhone? Could it be something with the connection? One uses 30pin and the other uses lightning (both original apple cables)

(I have pro nav, but I don't have the Extended BT)

Last edited by vimy; 12-21-2014 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Fwang
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i MPE, 2015 F80

My 2014 F30 have the same problem. i'm pairing my Iphone 6+ to iDriver, when I'm using bluetooth audio stream function to play music from my iphone 6+. i'm experiencing the same thing as you're.

I noticed that if your Iphone's audio output setted to other app rather than default Music app the bluetooth audio steam function will not work properly. For example, when I finish watching clips from Youtube App, i just press Home button to exit it then your Control center(pull up from bottom from ur Iphone) you will see Youtube app is the output audio. if this is the case your bluetooth won't work. my experience is that when you exist apps like Youtube that is going to use your output function. You need to open default Music app once to make sure Control Center is showing Music is the audio output before pair your Iphone to IDrive.

Hope this will help.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

I've found that the phone is the culprit 99% of the time. For me, I've restarted my phone and the iDrive won't start playing if I haven't unlocked the phone for the first time after restart. I've also had volume quirks etc all phone related.

Since the 5.062 update, it's been much more reliable though.
Appreciate 0