F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Lousy Ratings for Infotainment (iDrive)
Extreme Powerhouse

10-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Lousy Ratings for Infotainment (iDrive)

Critical, by ranking, not by assessment and explanation.

I can see how iDrive could be better, and am wondering what it takes to be higher rated. My guess is not developing compatibility with iOS 7, let alone 8, cost BMW a few positions on the rankings.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-1...utomakers.html
      10-27-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Maybe the manufacturers should seriously consider integrating a docking port into the dash, ship every car with an iPad MINI, and concentrate on developing a manufacturer specific app to monitor/display that is specific to the car. Let apple and developers do the audio and nav for them. We've already migrated to the 'ipad stuck on the dash' aesthetic, might as well make it an actuality.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B
Maybe the manufacturers should seriously consider integrating a docking port into the dash, ship every car with an iPad MINI, and concentrate on developing a manufacturer specific app to monitor/display that is specific to the car. Let apple and developers do the audio and nav for them. We've already migrated to the 'ipad stuck on the dash' aesthetic, might as well make it an actuality.
Sounds horrible! Please never do this BMW.
      11-02-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Sounds horrible! Please never do this BMW.
Why? I've used every generation of iDrive from the early 'diagonal menu' CCC up to NBT in the i3, google and everything enabled. Anything iDrive does my iPad does better, including using the web, music streaming, and navigation.

It's not getting horrible reviews because of its awesomeness. Things that are awesome don't get bad reviews.

I'm not suggesting that's what they should do, but it's at least worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Why? I've used every generation of iDrive from the early 'diagonal menu' CCC up to NBT in the i3, google and everything enabled. Anything iDrive does my iPad does better, including using the web, music streaming, and navigation.

It's not getting horrible reviews because of its awesomeness. Things that are awesome don't get bad reviews.

I'm not suggesting that's what they should do, but it's at least worth considering.
Well maybe not the iPad per se, but the operating system (iOS, Android, Windows - lol would not want Windows in my car). The problem still remains the control. Touch screen is not practical in a car. Touch pad like Audi, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes might be better.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Well maybe not the iPad per se, but the operating system (iOS, Android, Windows - lol would not want Windows in my car). The problem still remains the control. Touch screen is not practical in a car. Touch pad like Audi, Lexus, BMW and Mercedes might be better.
I agree. All BMW would need to do is make the idrive controller interface with the software on the ipad, i.e. how dension is able to engineer software that is controllable via the iDrive knob. The aftermarket has proven that third party software can be controlled with the stock controller.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I don't understand who in their right mind likes Lexus's infotainment system. Their displays look like crap, their UI is crap, and that mouse pad they use in so many of their models is more distracting than useful.

I just found using it was very unpleasant and distracting overall.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
Lewiscordo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda

Perhaps the companies should you should consider adding the docking dock to the dash, dispatch each auto through an apple company ipad LITTLE, and target creating a maker unique iphone app in order to monitor/display which is unique towards the auto. Allow apple and builders carry out the sound and nav for the children. We've got currently transfered towards the 'ipad jammed around the dash' cosmetic, should make it an truth.
      12-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
I'm patiently waiting for highly advanced voice control for controlling everything.
2017 F55 Mini Cooper S
2015 F22 BMW M235i
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Alfisti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

They are all absolute garbage, all of them. There's absolutely no need for them. I jumped in a 2015 Jeep Compass (rental) yesterday and what a blessing it was with three big fuck off knobs for heat/cold, fan speed and where to blow the air. No fucking click, turn, alt-ctrl-delete twattage i see way too often in nice cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #11
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewiscordo View Post
Perhaps the companies should you should consider adding the docking dock to the dash, dispatch each auto through an apple company ipad LITTLE, and target creating a maker unique iphone app in order to monitor/display which is unique towards the auto. Allow apple and builders carry out the sound and nav for the children. We've got currently transfered towards the 'ipad jammed around the dash' cosmetic, should make it an truth.
+1, this is EXACTLY what I suggested.

The car manufactures at some point are going to have to concede to the fact that electronics companies do things like ICE and NAV better than they do and do exactly what you're suggesting.

My best friend just got done integrating an iPad MINI into the console of his 997. Installation is flush, looks and functions perfectly. He has hands free communication, spotify, NAV, you name it.

I love BMW, but they think they do electronics a lot better than they actually do them.

You know that outboard BMW branded NAV unit that the dealer sells? It's a Garmin Nuvi with 'BMW ' imprinted at the top. Do the same thing with an iPad.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #12
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
How about making all this optional including the screen smashed onto the dash? Not everyone wants a screen.
Appreciate 0