F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Connected Drive and OTA Map update issues in Canada
GetBMWParts

09-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i XDrive, M Pkg, Sport

Connected Drive and OTA Map update issues in Canada

Funny how Canada does not seem to be considered part of North America for BMW. This makes taking full advantage of Connected Drive and other BMW services a frustrating experience at best:
  • No Connected Drive Portal
  • Have to email BMW to change passwords
  • Lagging apps
  • Wonky online services and map updates
  • etc

Starting this thread so us Canadians can exchange tips tricks and workarounds for these limitations. Hopefully, we can also discuss any improvements BMW is doing to support these features better in Canada.

I know at least one forum poster who is a BMW insider involved in improving BMW online services in Canada: Canadian33. I'm hoping he will chime in to the discussions.

Sgt Wilko
Appreciate 1
K737.50
      09-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Wilko View Post
Funny how Canada does not seem to be considered part of North America for BMW. This makes taking full advantage of Connected Drive and other BMW services a frustrating experience at best:
  • Lagging apps
  • etc

Starting this thread so us Canadians can exchange tips tricks and workarounds for these limitations. Hopefully, we can also discuss any improvements BMW is doing to support these features better in Canada.

I know at least one forum poster who is a BMW insider involved in improving BMW online services in Canada: Canadian33. I'm hoping he will chime in to the discussions.

Sgt Wilko
There is a another post about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

OTA Map updates not working

My 2017 330i was put into service in May but has not yet received any map updates. I'm stuck on the 2016-2 update while the 2017-2 update is already out.

Furthermore, when I go to confirm what region is selected for the OTA updates, no regions appear. Just a spinning iDrive wheel icon on the left. So, can't confirm or select any region.

Dealer has nothing more helpful to say than wait for an update. BMW assist says they are not setup to help Canadians and that I should go to my dealer. Just great!

Has anyone had and resolved a similar map update issue?

I attached a picture showing the empty Region Selection screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sgt Wilko
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
I searched but could not find it. Can you send a link? I'll see if I can get my posts merged to it. Or just re-post there.
Thanks.

Last edited by sgtwilko; 09-14-2017 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #5
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I searched but could not find it. Can you send a link?
Thanks.
Connected Drive Renewal http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1368336

They claimed online portal would be launched in July. Then push to August. Now September. Still not released yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
I searched but could not find it. Can you send a link?
Thanks.
Just a few threads down from yours:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1368336
      09-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #7
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Any ideas?
Do it manually.
      09-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #8
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 440GC

Quote:
  • Lagging apps
  • etc

Sgt Wilko
I am happy to provide insights where I can and address or try and answer any questions people may have.

Although no specifics were given I will provide a quick overview of what we have in Canada and where we are going.

In terms of ConnectedDrive in Canada there is a divide between MY2014 and newer and MY2013 and older.

MY2013 and older vehicles had what was referred to as the BMW Assist Safety Plan. Coverage was for one year from the in-service date, with the exception of the F01 7 series which had 4 years of coverage.

Services generally included:
- Emergency Call
- Teleservice
- Concierge
- Remote Services
- Internet
- Google send to vehicle

Vehicle MY14 and newer are split into two main groups, ConnectedDrive Essential and Professional, with services being valid for either 3 or 10 years.

Essential Services:
- Emergency Call: 10 years
- Teleservice: 10 years

Professional Services:
- Emergency Call: 10 years
- Teleservice: 10 year
- Remote Services: 10 years
- Concierge: 3 years
- Advanced Real Time Traffic: 3 years
- News and Weather: 3 years
- Over the air map updates: 3 years

In terms of apps, we have the Connected Classic app which allows 3rd party apps like spotify to display and be controlled via the iDrive system.

There is also the BMW Remote US app, which allows you to lock your car, honk the horn, flash the lights, locate the vehicle and push destinations to the vehicle from within the app.

We don't have a store but will be launching a local solution this month that will let customers upgrade and renew their ConnectedDrive services.

Where are we going? We are working on migrating our systems to introduce the new Connected App and use the ConnectedDrive store and portals.

Canada is a legacy market, which means we had to develop our own systems. Unfortunately, over the years our systems have become dated and we couldn't keep up with new features and functionality that BMW AG introduced.

The good news is we are moving in the right direction, and there are a ton of new features and functionality that are planned for Canada based on being on the new platform.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2017, 03:15 PM   #9
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for another inside, canadian33!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian33 View Post
Canada is a legacy market, which means we had to develop our own systems.
But why? Doesn't it make sense to develop and support one system worldwide? Ok, may be big markets like US can support their own service, but obviously BMW Canada don't have (didn't had) resources to support its own ConnectedDrive services?
      09-14-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Connected Drive Renewal http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1368336

They claimed online portal would be launched in July. Then push to August. Now September. Still not released yet.
stvding, I saw that thread but the thread I started is intended to discuss BMW online services and issues and evolution at large in Canada, not just Connected drive renewal. I think both can coexist.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #11
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My 2017 330i was put into service in May but has not yet received any map updates. I'm stuck on the 2016-2 update while the 2017-2 update is already out.

Furthermore, when I go to confirm what region is selected for the OTA updates, no regions appear. Just a spinning iDrive wheel icon on the left. So, can't confirm or select any region.

Dealer has nothing more helpful to say than wait for an update. BMW assist says they are not setup to help Canadians and that I should go to my dealer. Just great!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sgt Wilko
Hey, thanks for posting the picture and additional information.

A little background about the regions.....Canada is one region. This is very different from the US, where it is broken up into multiple regions. This is why selection of the region manually is redundant as the vehicle automatically determines that it is located in Canada and assign that as the region.

Now in terms of the OTA map update. When there is a new map released the update is pushed out over the air. In the background, vehicles in Canada region are queued to receive the map update. The update is attempted until successfully downloaded and installed.

If you want to provide me with the last 7 of your VIN, I can look into your case further.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #12
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDrivingManiac View Post
Thank you for another inside, canadian33!

But why? Doesn't it make sense to develop and support one system worldwide? Ok, may be big markets like US can support their own service, but obviously BMW Canada don't have (didn't had) resources to support its own ConnectedDrive services?
Completely agree and that is where we are headed. The reason we didn't start on a global platform is one did not exist when we introduced ConnectedDrive in Canada back in the early 2000's.

I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it is going to take some time to get there.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it is going to take some time to get there.
Awesome! Thank you!
      09-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #14
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sgt Wilko
Hey, thanks for posting the picture and additional information.

A little background about the regions.....Canada is one region. This is very different from the US, where it is broken up into multiple regions. This is why selection of the region manually is redundant as the vehicle automatically determines that it is located in Canada and assign that as the region.

Now in terms of the OTA map update. When there is a new map released the update is pushed out over the air. In the background, vehicles in Canada region are queued to receive the map update. The update is attempted until successfully downloaded and installed.

If you want to provide me with the last 7 of your VIN, I can look into your case further.

Regards
I still stuck with 2016 map. My car is MY16 435i with idrive 4.2 but nbt evo. It updated twice after i got the car. Never in this year. Help.

Vin K373433
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #15
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

Quote:
[...]
[...]

Regards
Thanks Canadian33. If the system just displayed "Canada" as a region, it would avoid much confusion. Not sure why the exception but it is what it is... for now.

I PM'd you my VIN info. Thanks for your help.

SgtWilko
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #16
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I still stuck with 2016 map. My car is MY16 435i with idrive 4.2 but nbt evo. It updated twice after i got the car. Never in this year. Help.

Vin K373433
Sorry.......too busy trying to launch the online store.

Just kidding. I will look into your VIN and let you know.

Do you know what map version you currently have?
System shows last ota map update was Feb 2017.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #17
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Funny!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #18
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Vin K373433

Just kidding. I will look into your VIN and let you know.

Do you know what map version you currently have?
System shows last ota map update was Feb 2017.
Just checked. Have pic attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
sgtwilko
Canada
Rep

Quote:
stvding, In a sense, you are doing better than I am. You are at least GETTING updates. Interesting that your region is showing up since canadian33 said that Canada is a single region and would normally not show up (???).

How do you get to that "Version" screen in your pic?

My "Navigation/Settings/Position and software version/Software Version" screen is different so you seem to be on a different menu page (pic attached). Can't find that one on my system.

SgtWilko
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #20
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtwilko View Post
Quote:
stvding, In a sense, you are doing better than I am. You are at least GETTING updates. Interesting that your region is showing up since canadian33 said that Canada is a single region and would normally not show up (???).

My "Navigation/Settings/Position and software version/Software Version" screen is different so you seem to be on a different menu page (pic attached). Can't find that one on my system.

SgtWilko
Maybe it is a newer idrive 6 issue?? Mine is 4.2
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #21
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

SgtWilko
It will show the OTA region once you get your first OTA map update. It took about 3 months after I purchased the vehicle to receive its first OTA map update.

Mine shows

North America EVO 2016-2
Automatic Map Update
CAN, AL (2016-4)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #22
canadian33
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

SgtWilko
You are correct in that the described situation of region not showing is only with ID5 and ID6 vehicles. It was actually a change that was implemented as 99% of people don't take the time, or want to have to select the region. This is why during the first 45 days the vehicle automatically looks at the GPS location and maps this to a region.

In ID4 vehicles the region is still visible and selectable via the iDrive system.
Appreciate 0