F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS Elite V2 for the BMW B58
proTUNING Freaks

02-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #45
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440iGCCB View Post
Personal experience. Protunes and flashes (APR, Cobb, GIAC) all had issues. If we are talking Bmw MPPK flash, 110% preferred. I don't trust after market engineers rewriting all the tables, eliminating bmws stock code. From experience, I have been safer with leaving Bmw tables to figure out these conservative additive 3-4psi boosts targets. Also with the b58 from what I understand, piggybacks work quite well due to the wideband O2 sensors for AFR. Seems to be fine for me so far.
Going to Atco or NE Dragway anytime soon? Interested to see track times and I’ll be happy to come down and provide some friendly competition!
I wish I had time to go, doubtful though
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #46
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Personal experience. Protunes and flashes (APR, Cobb, GIAC) all had issues. If we are talking Bmw MPPK flash, 110% preferred. I don't trust after market engineers rewriting all the tables, eliminating bmws stock code. From experience, I have been safer with leaving Bmw tables to figure out these conservative additive 3-4psi boosts targets. Also with the b58 from what I understand, piggybacks work quite well due to the wideband O2 sensors for AFR. Seems to be fine for me so far.
I might have one up on you! I've been tuning my cars for over 20 years...I've flashed with APR, Neuspeed, Cobb, GIAC, Unitronic, Dinan, HCP, Mission, VF, etc....as well as piggies such as JB4s, JB+, AA8, etc.. Often I worked directly with the tuners or even writers for magazine features to get the tuning right on dynos & very heavy street logging is involved. We're talking years of dragstrip, track time, and constant renewal of my race certification often to test tunes under intense conditions. If I were to guess, I've flashed my cars over this span over 200 times cumulatively...

Unfortunately, I don't agree that flashes are more problematic than piggies. That could possibly be stated for older software management protocols but modern flashes keep most of the oem code intact and these companies are a lot more sophisticated than they have been in the past. I've often seen more cars jerking from shifts and shooting black smoke or even detonating beyond repair from piggies than from flashes. Especially on heavy track usage.

These companies are more aware than ever because of social media and forum backlash and are much more careful than they have been in the past. There's a reason they offer stages for the gas and modifications per car. For the most part I haven't heard of many engines blowing on tunes outside of very custom cars going for mega horsepower. Modern engines are always factory tuned severely under-spec to preserve longevity and reliability. But in reality for the most part these power-plants are much more robust than people believe. Maybe not Alfa Romeo..

Anyhow, take this with a grain of salt, of course. Everyone has different levels and thresholds for accepting risk imho. :
JRocker3335.50
      02-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #47
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
I wish I had time to go, doubtful though
Any weekend, I’ll let you know when I go.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #48
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Quote:
I might have one up on you! I've been tuning my cars for over 20 years...I've flashed with APR, Neuspeed, Cobb, GIAC, Unitronic, Dinan, HCP, Mission, VF, etc....as well as piggies such as JB4s, JB+, AA8, etc.. Often I worked directly with the tuners or even writers for magazine features to get the tuning right on dynos & very heavy street logging is involved. We're talking years of dragstrip, track time, and constant renewal of my race certification often to test tunes under intense conditions. If I were to guess, I've flashed my cars over this span over 200 times cumulatively...

Unfortunately, I don't agree that flashes are more problematic than piggies. That could possibly be stated for older software management protocols but modern flashes keep most of the oem code intact and these companies are a lot more sophisticated than they have been in the past. I've often seen more cars jerking from shifts and shooting black smoke or even detonating beyond repair from piggies than from flashes. Especially on heavy track usage.

These companies are more aware than ever because of social media and forum backlash and are much more careful than they have been in the past. There's a reason they offer stages for the gas and modifications per car. For the most part I haven't heard of many engines blowing on tunes outside of very custom cars going for mega horsepower. Modern engines are always factory tuned severely under-spec to preserve longevity and reliability. But in reality for the most part these power-plants are much more robust than people believe. Maybe not Alfa Romeo..

Anyhow, take this with a grain of salt, of course. Everyone has different levels and thresholds for accepting risk imho. :
I hear ya. Unfortunately I didn't have a good experience. I wouldn't sway anyone to go either route, to each their own. It's just what works for me and the limited time I'm willing to waste on cars outside of my normal life.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #49
wifes first bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i, i3, '82 R65LS

Quote:
I used to be an engineer at one of these companies. I spent 8 years reverse engineering hex files and studying flashing protocol and also did some really cool projects - and yea ... I also don't trust aftermarket engineers making changes either

Piggybacks are the way to go - yes those who think that are a minority.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 02:03 PM   #50
F82Tazmanian
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifes first bimmer View Post
I used to be an engineer at one of these companies. I spent 8 years reverse engineering hex files and studying flashing protocol and also did some really cool projects - and yea ... I also don't trust aftermarket engineers making changes either

Piggybacks are the way to go - yes those who think that are a minority.
Well now I feel even better.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #51
efrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any other comments to share based on their v2 experiences. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #52
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Dinan posted on their site yesterday they are doing emissions testing on their flash tune. That means it's probably coming up pretty quick. Doubtful it will be as powerful as the other options, but if you are looking to keep warranty in check might be worth holding out to check it out.
Appreciate 1
efrant0.00
      06-12-2020, 12:25 PM   #53
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any other comments to share based on their v2 experiences. Thanks.
Wait for the flash tune from Dinan. I had the Dinan Elite V1 piggyback tuner on my 340 but switched to a flash tune from Carbahn Autoworks (Steve Dinan's company he started after he sold Dinan) when it crapped out. While the dyno numbers for the Carbahn flash tune says it has a little less HP and a good bit less torque than the Dinan Elite V1, it is a much better tune. The car drives a lot smoother and I think it is quicker as a result.
efrant0.00
      06-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #54
efrant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i xDrive

For those that have had this, is it really necessary to disconnect the battery before inserting/removing the bypass plug, or is just ensuring the electronics are shut down enough?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #55
JustDave
Rep
Drives: F30 340, 986 Boxster S

I had a V1 and it caused all kinds of trouble after 10,000 miles. Switched to the V2 and its been great. I was upset that the power figures were that much lower, but the V1 attached to 4 sensors and the V2 only attaches to 2. Explains a lot.

Like others have said, the warranty for me was more important.

My lease is up in a few months, now its time to consider buying it out and installing a downpipe amd do a more aggressive tune..... Or give the X3M a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #56
Flump
Private
Rep
Drives: 440xiGC, 135is

I previously asked this, but does anyone have the V2 with the MPPSK tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:28 PM   #57
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
I had a V1 and it caused all kinds of trouble after 10,000 miles. Switched to the V2 and its been great. I was upset that the power figures were that much lower, but the V1 attached to 4 sensors and the V2 only attaches to 2. Explains a lot.

Like others have said, the warranty for me was more important.

My lease is up in a few months, now its time to consider buying it out and installing a downpipe amd do a more aggressive tune..... Or give the X3M a try.
Same thing happened with my V1 but at around 25,000 miles with it on the car. I think Dinan is close to completing their flash tune for the B58 based on what they have been posting. You will be able to upgrade to their flash tune for free since you have the V2. You'll just have to get their tune installed at an authorized Dinan dealer but it's something to consider since you would be able to upgrade to a flash tune for free instead of paying for one like BM3, MHD or Carbahn.
      06-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #58
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWApp View Post
Same thing happened with my V1 but at around 25,000 miles with it on the car. I think Dinan is close to completing their flash tune for the B58 based on what they have been posting. You will be able to upgrade to their flash tune for free since you have the V2. You'll just have to get their tune installed at an authorized Dinan dealer but it's something to consider since you would be able to upgrade to a flash tune for free instead of paying for one like BM3, MHD or Carbahn.
I was transitioned to a V2 after my V1 failed..doing research on it, it looks like the wiring harness was the primary point of failure but I am not the expert. The experts at Dinan decided V2 was the only solution.

at the time, my BMW dealership..a Dinan authorized dealer, let me know that they no longer sell any new Dinan product and I would have to pay for any work out of pocket, even though Dinan warranty covers labor typically..the dealership let me know that Dinan has earned a reputation of not paying their bills.

On the word of the Dinan reps, I footed the bill for diagnosis and replacement/upgrade to V2.

It took almost 2 months to be “reimbursed”, and to add insult to injury..they shorted the reimbursement by something like $60, and then informed me by email that they don’t cover sales tax or shop material fees (costs I incurred due to their defective product).

Even if the flash tune was free at this point, I’m not paying a dealer the cost to upgrade it, since V2 was a downgrade in both features and performance..and at this point, doing so with idea that I’m on the hook for any work they decide to pay for, or decide to not pay for, doesn’t inspire confidence in testing their “new and improved” flash tune...

MHD was worth the money..for significantly better performance. My car was towed to the dealership twice in 6 months because of the Dinan tuner. 0 times so far from MHD, and a lot more customization and performance for a fraction of the Dinan price.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #59
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Dinan is the best BMW tuning solution hands down.

(in 2010.....)
Appreciate 1
M4-CPA63.50
      06-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #60
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Dinan is the best BMW tuning solution hands down.

(in 2010.....)
Not gonna lie..you had me there for a good moment!
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      06-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #61
BMWApp
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Quote:
I was transitioned to a V2 after my V1 failed..doing research on it, it looks like the wiring harness was the primary point of failure but I am not the expert. The experts at Dinan decided V2 was the only solution.

at the time, my BMW dealership..a Dinan authorized dealer, let me know that they no longer sell any new Dinan product and I would have to pay for any work out of pocket, even though Dinan warranty covers labor typically..the dealership let me know that Dinan has earned a reputation of not paying their bills.

On the word of the Dinan reps, I footed the bill for diagnosis and replacement/upgrade to V2.

It took almost 2 months to be "reimbursed", and to add insult to injury..they shorted the reimbursement by something like $60, and then informed me by email that they don't cover sales tax or shop material fees (costs I incurred due to their defective product).

Even if the flash tune was free at this point, I'm not paying a dealer the cost to upgrade it, since V2 was a downgrade in both features and performance..and at this point, doing so with idea that I'm on the hook for any work they decide to pay for, or decide to not pay for, doesn't inspire confidence in testing their "new and improved" flash tune...

MHD was worth the money..for significantly better performance. My car was towed to the dealership twice in 6 months because of the Dinan tuner. 0 times so far from MHD, and a lot more customization and performance for a fraction of the Dinan price.
I hate to hear that you had to go through all of that but glad to hear you are happy with MHD. I've only heard good things about their tunes.
      06-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #62
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hate to hear that you had to go through all of that but glad to hear you are happy with MHD. I've only heard good things about their tunes.
even their forum rep on 2addicts sounded perplexed.

at one point I emailed about the reimbursement and the rep handling my case at Dinan responded having no clue what I was even talking about.

The company has become a joke.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 09:41 AM   #63
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Looks like Dinan released their flash tunes for the B58 yesterday
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 05:03 PM   #64
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW in NE View Post
Looks like Dinan released their flash tunes for the B58 yesterday
Which requires mailing in the DME... Or having your dealer remove and mail it to Dinan
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #65
Sl1d3r
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Which requires mailing in the DME... Or having your dealer remove and mail it to Dinan
On top of that you have to pay an "upgrade" fee of $149 if trading in the V2 for the Elite+ flash tune in order to maintain the Dinan matching 4yr/50k warranty that it came with. What a scam. I was trying to hold out until my factory warranty expired, but I may have to just make up my mind on BM3 vs MHD and go for it. Quite disappointed myself, but apparently that's how they operate nowadays.
      07-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #66
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl1d3r View Post
On top of that you have to pay an "upgrade" fee of $149 if trading in the V2 for the Elite+ flash tune in order to maintain the Dinan matching 4yr/50k warranty that it came with. What a scam. I was trying to hold out until my factory warranty expired, but I may have to just make up my mind on BM3 vs MHD and go for it. Quite disappointed myself, but apparently that's how they operate nowadays.
which is hilarious in and of itself, because most of us were "upgraded" to the V2 tune, which cost less than the v1...

the upgrade should literally be free. But mailing in a DME Now? no chance in heck. post office packages are disappearing left and right.

Go with MHD, you wont regret it.
Appreciate 0