F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i b58 coolant loss
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Does your b58 consume coolant?
Yes 141 62.67%
No 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

02-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #221
rangerbob
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

added coolant at 20k

check coolant light came on at 20k miles (340i); added about a quart and it was full. No problems since - now at 22K.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:27 AM   #222
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I took my 340ix to the dealer and mentioned that this is still happening and the shop foreman said that it is a common issue and there is no fix. They topped of the larger intercooler reservoir and pressure tested the system again and there were indeed no leaks again.

Interestingly enough, I check the caps this morning and they were not super tight like they were before I went to service. They didn't replace them but maybe cleaned off the threads which had some with powder on them indicating that the system was venting and losing coolant through that point.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #223
highpurr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive M Sport

So I have a 2016 340i xdrive 40500 miles. I had this issue happen about 2 months ago when I took it in they said my water pump was leaking. I squeaked by on the last week of my warranty getting that fixed and I thought that was the end of it. 2 days ago I got the low coolant light warning. When I checked it, it was way low. I did notice a little bit of white residue on the tank. I also was in the mountains over the weekend where it could have been hot from driving down the mountain in a lower gear. I was planning to go get a pressure test but is it possible that there could be a head gasket issue or something more serious? I do not smell coolant in the exhaust. I obviously doubt its the water pump since that is brand new. Could I have lost that much from a cap?

PS. this is my first post so if there was some issue I apologize. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #224
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Checked mine again over the weekend and it was almost dry. This is the 2nd time and I'm now at 12k miles. I replaced the coolant cap to see if that fixes the issue. The threads were covered with coolant like usual, making the cap extremely difficult to remove.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 05:11 AM   #225
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpurr View Post
So I have a 2016 340i xdrive 40500 miles. I had this issue happen about 2 months ago when I took it in they said my water pump was leaking. I squeaked by on the last week of my warranty getting that fixed and I thought that was the end of it. 2 days ago I got the low coolant light warning. When I checked it, it was way low. I did notice a little bit of white residue on the tank. I also was in the mountains over the weekend where it could have been hot from driving down the mountain in a lower gear. I was planning to go get a pressure test but is it possible that there could be a head gasket issue or something more serious? I do not smell coolant in the exhaust. I obviously doubt its the water pump since that is brand new. Could I have lost that much from a cap?

PS. this is my first post so if there was some issue I apologize. Thanks!
How much did you need to add?

You might not have lost that all from the cap...but it might be from having done your water pump 2 months ago and driving down a mountain. I'm thinking that after any coolant system opening, there's always some top up required afterward. Not sure if they told you to check it or not, but you lose volume over time as air leaves the coolant--some will be in it. Also, bleeding doesn't quite circulate the system as driving does. Your high revs coming down the mtn. may have dislodged air bubbles that were hiding inside the system somewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much; I'd worry enough to check the level regularly until I know it's stable. Unfortunately this thing is well sealed up underneath, so I won't suggest lifting it up and removing the underskirt and looking just yet, but if you keep needing to add coolant (when the car is cold on level ground), then get it back to the dealer, or find the leak yourself. The hoses on this, though plentiful, seem easy enough to replace (if you can get to them). If you're leaking coolant, you'll be able to see it. If not, they do make a UV dye that'd help...but I hope you don't need anything more than the coolant you added.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:59 AM   #226
Gnslngr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i manual

Ongoing coolant loss

I bought a 2016 340i last October and the low coolant warning has come on twice. It had just over 30k when i took delivery and probably has less than 35k on it now. I don't see any leaks and don't smell any coolant but it must be going somewhere. I only know of the one coolant reservoir and topped it off with BMW coolant, only to have the low coolant indicator come on again 3-4 weeks later. I find it hard to believe this much coolant(approx. a quart) would have been consumed under normal driving conditions or leaking past the cap because there is no evidence of coolant anywhere near it. Getting two warnings in only a few thousand miles has me seriously worried and even if the turbo is the weak link then how likely is a replacement to last before the same problem recurs. Ironically when I checked Consumer Reports 2016 seemed like a good model year but with so many people having this coolant issue it's hard to believe how it didn't show up in their reporting. I love the car but am not interested in owning a car with a propensity to burn coolant or with faulty turbos so unless the dealer can promise a convincing cure when I take it in on Monday I think I am going to ask them to buy it and get into a different vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:57 AM   #227
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnslngr View Post
I bought a 2016 340i last October and the low coolant warning has come on twice. It had just over 30k when i took delivery and probably has less than 35k on it now. I don't see any leaks and don't smell any coolant but it must be going somewhere. I only know of the one coolant reservoir and topped it off with BMW coolant, only to have the low coolant indicator come on again 3-4 weeks later. I find it hard to believe this much coolant(approx. a quart) would have been consumed under normal driving conditions or leaking past the cap because there is no evidence of coolant anywhere near it. Getting two warnings in only a few thousand miles has me seriously worried and even if the turbo is the weak link then how likely is a replacement to last before the same problem recurs. Ironically when I checked Consumer Reports 2016 seemed like a good model year but with so many people having this coolant issue it's hard to believe how it didn't show up in their reporting. I love the car but am not interested in owning a car with a propensity to burn coolant or with faulty turbos so unless the dealer can promise a convincing cure when I take it in on Monday I think I am going to ask them to buy it and get into a different vehicle.
There are 2 tanks, but only the larger one seems to have a level sensor. Which tank did you top off? And how does the other one look?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 06:51 PM   #228
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Does ANYONE know where I can find this TSB number before I bring it back in?
Refreshing this thread. Does anyone have the TSB or any reference number for the coolant leaking through B58 turbo (bearing)?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #229
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Refreshing this thread. Does anyone have the TSB or any reference number for the coolant leaking through B58 turbo (bearing)?
Folks - does any have a copy of the repair order or TSB number?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 03:57 PM   #230
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
2016 340i xDrive - 44k miles

My coolant light hasn't come on but looking under the hood yesterday I saw dried coolant residue that must have sprayed out of the cap. It's been hot in the northeast so I'm wondering if moderate/hard driving plus the outside temperature is too much for the cooling system, causing it to burp out of the cap? I cleaned up the area around the cap and I'm going to keep an eye on it. A friend of mine said his mini did the same thing when it got very hot out.
I ended up taking my car in at 49k miles for waste gate ticking on cold start (which they claimed was normal....) and they topped up the coolant since it was low. Closing in on 53k miles today and the coolant is low again so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they'll do a pressure test to check for any leaks. Intercooler reservoir was (and always has been) at the correct level.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #231
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
I have a shadow code for coolant loss
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 04:00 AM   #232
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Still no updates on the turbo replacement?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:00 PM   #233
Siege29
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i xDrive Sportline

Guys when your coolant level goes down you just top off with distilled water with no coolant mixture? I have the same problem with my B48 they found a crack on the hose that connects its from the expansion tank to the cylinder head. "They fix it" but it seems like I'm topping off again.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 08:10 AM   #234
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege29 View Post
Guys when your coolant level goes down you just top off with distilled water with no coolant mixture? I have the same problem with my B48 they found a crack on the hose that connects its from the expansion tank to the cylinder head. "They fix it" but it seems like I'm topping off again.
topping off with water once or twice is no big deal but you should be adding coolant to keep the mix somewhat even.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #235
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I ended up taking my car in at 49k miles for waste gate ticking on cold start (which they claimed was normal....) and they topped up the coolant since it was low. Closing in on 53k miles today and the coolant is low again so I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully they'll do a pressure test to check for any leaks. Intercooler reservoir was (and always has been) at the correct level.
I posted this on the B58 thread but I'll post here too:

The coolant leak on the water pump was from the shaft behind the pulley. I was expecting the gasket between the pump and the block. I brought up the wastegate noise again and after further inspection it was now considered excessive so they replaced that along with the water pump under warranty. We'll see how long the new pump holds up, but at least it's an easy DIY repair.

New turbo part number: 11-65-9-423-787
New water pump part number: 11-51-8-632-585
Water pump gasket part number: 11-51-8-632-587
Appreciate 1
kern4174462.00
      10-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #236
jbb2388
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340iX

What are you guys using for coolant to top off? Anything other than genuine BMW?
      11-06-2020, 08:38 AM   #237
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
I posted this on the B58 thread but I'll post here too:

The coolant leak on the water pump was from the shaft behind the pulley. I was expecting the gasket between the pump and the block. I brought up the wastegate noise again and after further inspection it was now considered excessive so they replaced that along with the water pump under warranty. We'll see how long the new pump holds up, but at least it's an easy DIY repair.

New turbo part number: 11-65-9-423-787
New water pump part number: 11-51-8-632-585
Water pump gasket part number: 11-51-8-632-587
So its not an actual water pump failure? I might be expericing coolant lose on my 2016 340i. Couple of friends of mines saw coolant dripping from around the water pump and we all assumed the water pump was slowing failing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #238
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCarCulture View Post
So its not an actual water pump failure? I might be expericing coolant lose on my 2016 340i. Couple of friends of mines saw coolant dripping from around the water pump and we all assumed the water pump was slowing failing.
It is a water pump failure. The pump still works but the shaft is out of spec (either from wear/tear or a manufacturing defect) which caused it to leak. The impeller was still turning (driven by the accessory belt) but without being able actually examine the pump they removed, my theory is that the pump shaft might have too much force placed on it causing the shaft to wear out or causing the hole in the thermostat housing to become enlarged.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #239
obzen
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440i Gran Coupe

Same a few dried saltine deposits on various plastics under the bonnet. Suspect coolant will have to bring that to attention to the stealer ship next time..

Coolant loss for the b58 is known issue, keep an eye on it
//MST intake
//AutoTechnik brace
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2020, 04:19 AM   #240
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
It is a water pump failure. The pump still works but the shaft is out of spec (either from wear/tear or a manufacturing defect) which caused it to leak. The impeller was still turning (driven by the accessory belt) but without being able actually examine the pump they removed, my theory is that the pump shaft might have too much force placed on it causing the shaft to wear out or causing the hole in the thermostat housing to become enlarged.
I doubt BMW would change the water pump without having any warranty since its their manufacture defect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzen View Post
Same a few dried saltine deposits on various plastics under the bonnet. Suspect coolant will have to bring that to attention to the stealer ship next time..

Coolant loss for the b58 is known issue, keep an eye on it
Im also experiencing that white saltine. Im assuming my coolant lose is not just from this issue around the cap but the actual water pump itself?

Also, should I change the cap as well? I heard that's something that is recommended.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #241
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Push the dealers, it's certainly not normal. I am at 55000 miles and never had to top up.
      11-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #242
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCarCulture View Post
I doubt BMW would change the water pump without having any warranty since its their manufacture defect?

Im also experiencing that white saltine. Im assuming my coolant lose is not just from this issue around the cap but the actual water pump itself?

Also, should I change the cap as well? I heard that's something that is recommended.
Push the dealer and see what you can get. A lot of us have speculated that dealers are being extra generous with warranty replacements since business is slow (and they are reimbursed by BMW for their expense).
Appreciate 0