F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F3x MSport Steering Wheel -> F8X Swap Notes
Studio RSR

06-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #1
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

F3x MSport Steering Wheel -> F8X Swap Notes

Hi all, just wanted to share some insight about the swap and show off some pics.

This was pretty involved for my standards but looking back I could have done it in half time if I new what I was doing. Plenty of videos on youtube have the proper DIY for this but just sharing some notes.

You need the following trim pieces, both front AND back as the rear trim also has a split spoke in the middle to accommodate the anterior trim piece. I bought the front one used for 60 bucks and the rear new for 55.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/32307846029/
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...w/32307848270/

You will also need the F8x paddles. Do not buy the cheap junk ones from eBay, those are just Chinese knockoffs. I bought mine from someone on Facebook and they feel GREAT both in hand and on wheel.

Here we start

Be sure to get a big enough breaker bar, that 16mm nut was not easy especially with the wheel turning when trying to remove. Also be very careful not to mess with the clockspring and steering angle sensor. You will get a fault code otherwise (more on that later)

Following trim removal, we can appreciate the foam piece where our split spoke on the new trim will be. Was caught off guard by this but not to worry, it easily is removed.

At this point I decided to remove the rear trim before removing the right sided paddle. It was pretty difficult to get access to the blue connector so I ended up removing the push pin from the paddle and sliding the rear trim over the 1/2 paddle since it could now fit through the trim cutout. Below is another angle of the foam. This picture was also important as it showed the original layout of most cables. Take a picture of this as soon as you can for reference just in case.

Installation is the reverse. I had issues with my front trim fitting and I believe I had one of the cables not in the proper routing channel. After some adjustments it snapped mostly into place and was secured by the Torx fasteners.

Because I messed with the clockspring I had 3 PDC faults. All I needed to do to clear it was turn the wheel all the way left, all the way right, then repeat.

Cheers
Appreciate 3
J555568.50
aardate193.50
f32ftw98.00
      06-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #2
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

This is a great retrofit, not only for appearance, as I really like the balance of the steering with the much heavier F8x piece.

Well, doing this for the very first time was frustrating experience for me. In particular because I have the full featured wheel, as you do. The wheels without heating, and lane keep assist are a lot easier

Some of my suggestions worth mentioning:
- be sure the airbag releasing holes are clear before putting the airbag back, otherwise you'll be in trouble next time
- be sure to not mix the screws holding the front button modules, and paddles. While they appear similar, they are not, and you can damage the button modules
- I completely removed the foam, which resulted in stronger vibration of the lane keep assist (that I consider a good thing, before was really weak)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 06:42 PM   #3
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

It looks great! Thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 11:22 PM   #4
f32ftw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435 xdrive

Nice write up! I took apart my F3x steering wheel last year to do this. I added carbon fiber paddles and a suede steering wheel wrap. The F8x center piece trim just looks so much better than the one our F3x comes with. I would not attempt the steering wheel wrap again though because it was a very time consuming and labor intensive process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
aardate193.50
      06-19-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f32ftw View Post
Nice write up! I took apart my F3x steering wheel last year to do this. I added carbon fiber paddles and a suede steering wheel wrap. The F8x center piece trim just looks so much better than the one our F3x comes with. I would not attempt the steering wheel wrap again though because it was a very time consuming and labor intensive process.
It looks amazing though.

I wrapped my steering wheel before on a previous Infiniti and that was a 5+ hour labor intensive stitching work but the result is usually very good if you have patience
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #6
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Suede looks amazing but I just can't do it for a daily driver. What was the total cost of the swap AMG_KLR ?
Appreciate 0