F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New owner looking for advice!
proTUNING Freaks

11-19-2021, 08:08 PM   #1
ghtF30
Rep
Drives: 328xi, 228xi

New owner looking for advice!

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death.

I'll be buying a 2016 328xi (N20 I believe) from a family friend very soon. It is completely stock, except for a JB+. It already feels pretty peppy, but I like to tinker!

For anyone who has experience with both, how would you describe bootmod stage 1 vs JB+? I haven't been able to find dynos, but from what I can gather, it will add maybe 10hp/tq or so over the JB+? From a power perspective I don't think that is really worth the cost, but would you say the other features make it worth the expense? Despite the minor improvement in power, does it make a big improvement in the overall drivability of the vehicle across the rpm band?

So I guess the few options I have considered are:

1. Enjoy as is with the JB+

2. Sell the JB+ and buy BM3 (Black Friday sale hopefully?)

3. For a similar amount of money as option 2, keep the JB+ and add xHP

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtF30 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be buying a 2016 328xi (N20 I believe) from a family friend very soon. It is completely stock, except for a JB+. It already feels pretty peppy, but I like to tinker!

For anyone who has experience with both, how would you describe bootmod stage 1 vs JB+? I haven't been able to find dynos, but from what I can gather, it will add maybe 10hp/tq or so over the JB+? From a power perspective I don't think that is really worth the cost, but would you say the other features make it worth the expense? Despite the minor improvement in power, does it make a big improvement in the overall drivability of the vehicle across the rpm band?

Thoughts?
ecu tunes are always better fyi.

dyno numbers are subjective and vary greatly from car to car, dyno to dyno, location to location etc.

again, ecu tunes are always better than piggy back devices that "fool or trick" the computer to do different things.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 01:22 AM   #3
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Get a b58
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Get a b58
Super helpful reply right here…why even reply if you aren't going to attempt to be helpful?

Back to the original question by the op:
I would say your money is best spent on bm3. While the jb+ is ok it's very unrefined and most people use it conjunction with other mods. If looking for a nice reliable boost in power the bm3 tune is the way to go. Don't forget that with the bm3 purchase you also get diagnostic capabilities, some other goodies, and I believe they have a transmission tune for your engine as well which would only be a $50 purchase after the original cost.
Sell the jb+ to help cover your costs if money is a concern. No need for xHP at all until your stage 2 or higher.
Jonwho214.50
      11-20-2021, 09:55 AM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

I made whole thread about this a while back: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1495692 I had dinan sport but that and JB+ are basically the same. Also, re-reading that back after some years, take my comment about the N20 with BM3 S1 feeling like an N/A straight six with a grain of salt lol. It definitely didn't feel that smooth, but the main point of that analogy remains true, definitely felt smoother.
      11-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Hey op! Congrats to you, and glad you're enjoying the car!

I currently have the dinantronics sports tuner, the boost controller that will add just a touch of boost.

My buddy had a stage 1 Dinan tuner that is able to control more parameters

They both are exceptional, mine being a cost effective way to give a bit more pep like you said, but his felt more linear and overall engaging

With that being said, I plan on going stage 1 this holiday season as I've just got my dp to go and will be flashing bm3 when I get the chance. I've heard nothing but good news, the only things to be worried about are when taking your car to the shop. If they happen to do updates, there's some wonky stuff that happens and you have to call pro tuning freaks to have them check out your dme

Otherwise I think you'll love it, and for 600 bucks, it's an absolute must mod for our cars!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
ghtF30
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone!

I guess my current line of thinking is that BM3 really makes the most sense if I plan to do a downpipe in the future, and I am unsure if I ever will, being that the car will be a daily driver and I have low tolerance for additional noise/drone.

So I'm on the fence about buying it now vs buying it when (if?) I decide to do a downpipe. Maybe a Black Friday sale could push me over the edge, otherwise I may wait.

Two questions that could influence my decision:

One of the things that I think is pretty cool is the ability to add burbles in sport mode. Am I correct in assuming that it's bad to do this with a stock cat? If I could get away with a mild burble with the stock cat, then I feel I it would somewhat justify getting BM3 right away, since I could take advantage of all its features regardless of whether or not I do a downpipe in the future.

If I were to do a downpipe, I would probably get one with a high flow cat (looking at Turner). Can you run stage 2 with a high flow cat? And can you have burbles with a high flow cat (at least moreso with than with a stock cat??). Again its a daily driver and I would like it to be as close to stock as possible while cruising, hence the interest in catted vs catless. For that matter, could I just add a high flow cat with a JB+? or do you need a tune with any sort of downpipe??

So I guess what it comes down to is:

1. Could I fully enjoy all the features of BM3 (i.e. burbles) even if I keep the car completely stock? If not, I'd be inclined to stick with the JB+ until I add more mods

2. Is there any point in doing a catted downpipe? Or is it catless or nothing?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #8
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:

I guess my current line of thinking is that BM3 really makes the most sense if I plan to do a downpipe in the future, and I am unsure if I ever will, being that the car will be a daily driver and I have low tolerance for additional noise/drone.

So I'm on the fence about buying it now vs buying it when (if?) I decide to do a downpipe. Maybe a Black Friday sale could push me over the edge, otherwise I may wait.

One of the things that I think is pretty cool is the ability to add burbles in sport mode. Am I correct in assuming that it's bad to do this with a stock cat? If I could get away with a mild burble with the stock cat, then I feel I it would somewhat justify getting BM3 right away, since I could take advantage of all its features regardless of whether or not I do a downpipe in the future.

If I were to do a downpipe, I would probably get one with a high flow cat (looking at Turner). Can you run stage 2 with a high flow cat? And can you have burbles with a high flow cat (at least moreso with than with a stock cat??). Again its a daily driver and I would like it to be as close to stock as possible while cruising, hence the interest in catted vs catless. For that matter, could I just add a high flow cat with a JB+? or do you need a tune with any sort of downpipe??

1. Could I fully enjoy all the features of BM3 (i.e. burbles) even if I keep the car completely stock? If not, I'd be inclined to stick with the JB+ until I add more mods

To answer your questions: 1. You're definitely limiting your ability to fully enjoy all of BM3's features by keeping the car's hardware stock. You'll still be getting a great tune, but many of the features are predicated on more extensive hardware mods. Burbles on stock cat are not good; you can get away with mild ones no problem, but anything aggressive will eat at the cat. High flow cats will tolerate them better, but the same principle applies.

2. Catted downpipes certainly have a place. They offer probably 80% of the performance gains that catless downpipes do, and without much of the added noise and smell, but also cost about twice as much. The decision between catless and catted really comes down to: can you tolerate the slight smell of catless, do you want to save money, do you need 100% of the horsepower gains, and do you want to run super aggro burbles.
      11-22-2021, 11:34 AM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

My recommendation is to jump on an IC sale while black Friday deals are still around, then tune (also consider MHD not just BM3).

Also consider a DP if you want to purchase during sales, cheaper catted ones wont pass emissions and you need to tune the CEL out but will minimize smell and will not cause any drone with a stock exhaust.

XHP is also worth it regardless of which "stage" tune you chose as it is an all around improvement for the ZF8.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #10
ghtF30
Rep

Thanks for the info/suggestions guys. Much appreciated

The other thing that just came to mind is what effect would Bootmod have on gas mileage? Has anyone done stage 1 and noticed a change either way? Obviously you will use more gas if you're driving aggressively, but for the sake of argument assume that my driving style will not change. I understand that at full throttle if the car is making more boost it's obviously going to use more fuel to keep the AFR in check, but what about under normal driving conditions?

Again the car will be a daily, and while I'd be ok with a very slight dip, I'm not keen on ruining my MPG.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

The other thing that just came to mind is what effect would Bootmod have on gas mileage? Has anyone done stage 1 and noticed a change either way? Obviously you will use more gas if you're driving aggressively, but for the sake of argument assume that my driving style will not change. I understand that at full throttle if the car is making more boost it's obviously going to use more fuel to keep the AFR in check, but what about under normal driving conditions?

Again the car will be a daily, and while I'd be ok with a very slight dip, I'm not keen on ruining my MPG.
The tune itself will not reduce gas mileage. But keep in mind the throttle mapping is different so for example 20% throttle with tune is different than 20% throttle pre-tune so you need to adjust your inputs accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
Styx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Convertible

My opinion is BM3 regardless of what future mods you have in mind. Granted I have a different car (435) but I had a Dinan Sport, which is essentially what you have, and now have BM3. There is no comparison.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      11-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #13
ghtF30
Rep

Sounds like BM3 is on the menu boys!!

Thanks again for everyone's input.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

Quote:

I have the same 2016 328, and went back and forth on JB+ and BM3, and finally went with the BM3 Stage 1 (Thanks to the forum members for all the input). Dont know how good or bad is JB+, but I can tell that you will not be disappointed with BM3. If you are looking to stick with Stage 1, you dont need any upgrades.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #15
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

Quote:

I have not seen any dip in gas mileage with the same driving habits. Other than increased power, one benefit I have seen is that the car is much smoother now.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 09:26 PM   #16
Iflaw01
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i Xdrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs View Post
I have the same 2016 328, and went back and forth on JB+ and BM3, and finally went with the BM3 Stage 1 (Thanks to the forum members for all the input). Dont know how good or bad is JB+, but I can tell that you will not be disappointed with BM3. If you are looking to stick with Stage 1, you dont need any upgrades.
This is 100% correct. I was skeptical about stage 1 tunes. But they make a HUGE difference! I've experienced the stage 1 tunes in a n54, n55 and b48.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:11 AM   #17
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Stick with stage 1 bm3 for longevity purposes. Get your downpipe during black friday, and bm3 if possible. The smell is the last thing to worry about 😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #18
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
skip the jb+. i had mine a month? and didn't like it and got bm3 stage 1. totally changed the car
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #19
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thoughts?
I had both the JB and Bootmod3 on my car. The JB is the cheapest/roughest tune that you can get. Herky jerky, even if you might not realize it now. All it's doing is tricking the car into several more pounds of boost. Bootmod3 Stage1 is a smooth powerful factory like tune. There is absolutely no comparison!

There's no need to think about downpipe, Stage2 or xHP right now. Bootmod3 Stage1 is the biggest bang for your buck. Buy it, install it, drive it and enjoy it.

You can consider an intercooler upgrade and an FTP chargepipe upgrade in the summer. Wont need them yet in the winter.

You can also drop in a free flow airfilter now like aFe or K&N. If the mod bug still bites, then you can research and consider other things later.

Guys focus a lot on engine mods. Honestly every horsepower gained over Bootmod3 Stage1 gets increasingly more expensive. I've gotten more fun from my car by also upgrading my suspension, tires & tire size and brakes to handle the additional power. Makes it so much fun to drive.

Some things to consider in the future are:

Suspension: Eibach Springs, Koni Special Active or Koni Yellow Sport struts/shocks, F80 bump stops. If coilovers attract you, KW are high quality and won't harsh your ride like others.

Tires: 245/40-18 tires on stock 18" wheels is a typical size upgrade that handles great.
All Season tires to consider are Continental DWS06 Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4
Summer Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Brakes: Hawk 5.0 Pads. Zimmermann rotors for high quality replacements. Or upgrade to StopTech crossdrilled. Upgrade rubber brake hoses to stainless steel brake lines.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #20
fms9040
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i; BMW e53 4.8is

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know any sites offering discounts to BM3 software? ECS tuning is offering a sale on Turner Motorsports N20 Performance Software at 40% off, bringing the price to under $400 before taxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #21
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fms9040 View Post
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know any sites offering discounts to BM3 software? ECS tuning is offering a sale on Turner Motorsports N20 Performance Software at 40% off, bringing the price to under $400 before taxes.
XPH has a BM3 sale... for a few more hours
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 08:54 AM   #22
fms9040
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i; BMW e53 4.8is

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
XPH has a BM3 sale... for a few more hours
For $555 I was able to get the license, the OBD cable, cable adapter to android, and access to all the other maps.

I did not check out XPH though but I hope it was a bargain... I did do well with other Black Friday sales though. Ended up getting ignition service kit, cold/hot charge pipes, turbo inlet, timing chain service kit, and short throw shifter.
Appreciate 0