F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Damaged Quarter Panel - Filler or replace?
proTUNING Freaks

10-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #1
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 440i xDrive GC, '06 330xi

So my new-to-me '18 440i GC was hit while it was parked Bumper and quarter panel are damaged. The quarter panel is minor damage below the light. Will probably be going through insurance for the repairs but I [IMG][/IMG]got two different work proposals from two different shops. The first shop (better reviewed) wants to cut out and replace the quarter panel. The second shop, recommended by my BMW dealer, wants to pull the dent and fix will filler. They claim it will come out perfect and cutting/welding a new quarter panel is overkill - will be undoing more of the factory seals/corrosion protection unnecessarily.

I'm not sure what the better option is. I rather keep the car as in-tact/factory sealed and protected as possible but I do also want a perfect long term repair.

What would you guys do? Attached are a few pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The decision is probably up to your insurance company.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 07:00 AM   #3
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The decision is probably up to your insurance company.
The shop who wants to do the full replacement claims that they will be able to work with insurance to make sure they pay for the more expensive repair. I'm just not sure if it's an overkill - disturbing too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 04:29 AM   #4
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

The second option is much friendlier to your insurer. Looking at the sustained damage, I'm inclined to think that replacing the quarter panel seems to be an overkill, since the scuff will disappear completely with competent body work.
Please bear in mind, that the first option all the additional work required, which you mostly mentioned in your initial post, which might involve significant risks of failure, with corrosion being my main concern, if the procedure isn't followed properly.
At the end of the day, the nature of the job the body shop can perform will depend on how the size of the claim with the insurer.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 05:05 AM   #5
riso1988
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
The second option is much friendlier to your insurer. Looking at the sustained damage, I'm inclined to think that replacing the quarter panel seems to be an overkill, since the scuff will disappear completely with competent body work.
Please bear in mind, that the first option all the additional work required, which you mostly mentioned in your initial post, which might involve significant risks of failure, with corrosion being my main concern, if the procedure isn't followed properly.
At the end of the day, the nature of the job the body shop can perform will depend on how the size of the claim with the insurer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zatelli View Post
Thanks for the reply, that's how I was feeling too. I don't want to risk corrosion or less integrity with the new welds for minimal damage.

I do believe the shop will do a good job but I plan to keep the car for many years to come.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:39 PM   #6
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

IMO the 2nd option is more appropriate
the damage to the quarter panel is not bad enough to do cut and weld

i suggest the 2nd option also because if you do cut and weld a new piece on it...
the next owner will probably think this car was in a much worse accident than
what you have now...hence...your car value may go down because of that...
Appreciate 2
jeffm8276.00
      11-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #7
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Sorry to see your newly acquired car damaged. As I always say, "It could have been worse!"

I also think the 2nd option is most appropriate, key being least invasive. I don't think that warrants cutting and welding a new QP in place since the damage appears fairly minimal. Is that Sapphire Black Metallic? Most shops will push for blending into many other panels, sometimes the entire side as it's difficult to get a perfect match. Metallics are especially difficult to match properly so make sure the shop does plenty of test cards and not just go by the paint code.

Since the quarter panel was involved, they will need to blend and clear the entire QP all the way to the end of the end of the A-pillar.
-2002 S54 M Coupé - Steel Gray / Dark Gray/Black
Appreciate 1
jeffm8276.00
      11-09-2021, 02:13 AM   #8
jeffm82
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i (N55 Engine) '15

Second option is better
Appreciate 1