F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: F30 Surround view retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

10-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #133
catolard
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 3.0d XDrive

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Yeah, no problem at all be sure.

I take always some time before doing something lol. specially if i'm not convince ... and more if I need to break something in my loving car lol.

No I need a straight female on the other side too .. I just buy the new cable and have to wait 3 weeks minimum ...

Thanks a lot for your comment regarding rotation angle. I think that for both side, I start by testing without drilling one more angle.

Catolard

Last edited by catolard; 10-19-2020 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:31 AM   #134
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hello,

I need your help .. please please please ...

I receive the right cable and start to mount it in the car.

To be sure regarding the orientation of the wire, I want to check with ISTA+ before finalize.

I work like that.

- Remove the car connector, I just plug directlty the HSDC wire like this

After I put ignition and check with this option in ISTA+.

Here what is the result for the reverse cam already present.

And for the right ....

I have this result, for the for position of the plug ...

So I'm lost ... completly lost .. what can I do.

ISTA+ said the ECU works well, no problem at all ..

After coding here the 2 apparence I have for the camera.

or

Thanks in advance for your support. I don't remount the door panel waiting your help ...

catolard

Last edited by catolard; 11-01-2020 at 06:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:30 AM   #135
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hello,

I still need your help...

Today I remount the right door panel with the wire and normal orientation of it. And I do the same on the left side.

Like yesterday, I try the 4 different orientation ... and check with ISTA+ . and always the same result, like yesterday.

I decided to finalize the connection like that fpr the moment and remount the right door panel. If I have to change something, I normally don't need to unmount the door panel again ...

I complete check with ISTA and ... grrr

OK, so now I know that I have a problem ... and ... ???

The wire inside the door panel respect the instruction diven regarding the connection, as confirmed by the seller

"Hello dear David,

Greeting!

Many thanks for your message.
Yes, the cable as you said. 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1."

Now I don't know how I can proceed to identify where is the issue ...

Many thanks for your advice and support ...

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #136
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by catolard View Post
Hello,

I still need your help...

Today I remount the right door panel with the wire and normal orientation of it. And I do the same on the left side.

Like yesterday, I try the 4 different orientation ... and check with ISTA+ . and always the same result, like yesterday.

[IMG]https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020...3042631069.jpg[/IMG]

I decided to finalize the connection like that fpr the moment and remount the right door panel. If I have to change something, I normally don't need to unmount the door panel again ...

I complete check with ISTA and ... grrr

[IMG]https://nsa40.casimages.com/img/2020...3042318469.png[/IMG]

OK, so now I know that I have a problem ... and ... ???

The wire inside the door panel respect the instruction diven regarding the connection, as confirmed by the seller

"Hello dear David,

Greeting!

Many thanks for your message.
Yes, the cable as you said. 1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1."

Now I don't know how I can proceed to identify where is the issue ...

Many thanks for your advice and support ...

Catolard
Hi

By looking at the pictures, are you trying to test the orientation of HSD cable without connecting the door plug?

If yes, then you are testing it wrong. you need to plug the door connector back to its original position and connect the HSD wires directly i mean the HSD wire from inside the car to mirror HSD cable.

Name:  Screenshot_20201101-134714_Photo Editor.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  1.12 MB

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop

Last edited by freespirit; 11-01-2020 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #137
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Many thnaks for this first answer.

If I understand well, it's not possible to valide the right position of the connector without connecting the whole plug ? If yes OK, I have to remove the mire from inside side and use the dremel to be able to mount on other position.

But if I read well, normaly I only need to change the "normal" orientation or standard one determine by the geometry of the connector for the passenger side, and not for the driver side. But event with the standard position in the driver side the indication is - not connected.

Many thanks.

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #138
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Many thnaks for this first answer.

If I understand well, it's not possible to valide the right position of the connector without connecting the whole plug ? If yes OK, I have to remove the mire from inside side and use the dremel to be able to mount on other position.

But if I read well, normaly I only need to change the "normal" orientation or standard one determine by the geometry of the connector for the passenger side, and not for the driver side. But event with the standard position in the driver side the indication is - not connected.

Many thanks.

Catolard
To your first point, I still don't understand why you need to dremel anything. You can just plug the mirror hsd to inside hsd directly for testing .

To your second point, I had to rotate on both sides. Passenger side 90 degrees anti-clockwise and driver side 270 anti-clockwise.

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #139
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hello,

Many thanks for your time.

Just to be sure, regarding the first point. If I understand weel, you said that I can try to bridge every HSD wire, that's right ? And so for example try to connect directly the wire at the entry of the mirror in the dorr plug (but in this case there's no the cross connection (1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1), isn't it ?

To check all combination, if I want to passe trough the door plug, I have to dremel in order to have the possibility to plug at 90 degres or 270 degres as you mentioned, isn't it ?

Regarding the second point, clear now, many thanks !

Thanks for your help. I will work on it next week-end but want to be sure regarding the right process before. I have one bonus, I have curently all wire in extra, so if I unmount only one cam, I can check all connection directly in the roof, no ?

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:47 PM   #140
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

Many thanks for your time.

Just to be sure, regarding the first point. If I understand weel, you said that I can try to bridge every HSD wire, that's right ? And so for example try to connect directly the wire at the entry of the mirror in the dorr plug (but in this case there's no the cross connection (1-4, 2-3, 3-2, 4-1), isn't it ?

To check all combination, if I want to passe trough the door plug, I have to dremel in order to have the possibility to plug at 90 degres or 270 degres as you mentioned, isn't it ?

Regarding the second point, clear now, many thanks !

Thanks for your help. I will work on it next week-end but want to be sure regarding the right process before. I have one bonus, I have curently all wire in extra, so if I unmount only one cam, I can check all connection directly in the roof, no ?

Catolard
cross connection is still applicable. you will plug the male and female pins directly. Sorry for my poor english ... see if the below images can help you

I don't exactly remember whether the mirror hsd cable is female or male pin. In the images i assumed it to be female. Rotate the mirror hsd pin 90 degrees at a time and once you know the position it works you can dremel it.

Also for the inside car HSD cable i assumed the position it plugs to inside door connector but it may be different in your car. Overall the images should give the idea of what i mean to say.
Name:  20201102_233404.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  201.4 KB

Name:  20201102_233323.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  257.8 KB

Name:  20201102_233608.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  250.5 KB

Name:  20201102_233712.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  210.5 KB

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #141
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hi everybody,

Many thanks for your help, even if at the present time I'm in a stalemate.

Let me explain all trial I done, according to your support.

As I have a complete extra pack of wire, I just unmount the cam of one mirror, disconnect from ECU the wire that I put in place and try all configuration with this other wire. Connect this on the ECU and so try with ISTA+ to check the trigger of the cam, as I done previously.

I always have the same message.

I try to connect the cam at the place of the rear cam, and I have the picture on the screen, even if I have the same message from ISTA+.

For the side cam, I try the 16 possibilities !!! For position for the wire between the mirror and the door (I don't want to unmount the door panel and the mirror to chaeck how is it and so try all for possibilities...) and 4 position for the connection between the door panel and the car.

Always the same issue.

So I don't know what's wrong.

One question. Between 2 trials, I just unplug and replug at 90°, and press the button on ISTA+ for the trigger. Maybe I need at least reset the ECU between 2 differents connection ??? You think that it could be a reason to not have the good "answer" from the ECU ?

Many thanks.

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #142
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
To your first point, I still don't understand why you need to dremel anything. You can just plug the mirror hsd to inside hsd directly for testing .

To your second point, I had to rotate on both sides. Passenger side 90 degrees anti-clockwise and driver side 270 anti-clockwise.
One more question. The wire that you "rotate" is the wire inside the car, that's right ? Not the wire inside the door panel.

That's right ?

[EDIT] - Sorry, that's a silly question, no influence on the side on which one you did the rotation .. sorry

Many thanks.

Catolard

Last edited by catolard; 11-07-2020 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #143
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One more question. The wire that you "rotate" is the wire inside the car, that's right ? Not the wire inside the door panel.

That's right ?

Many thanks.

Catolard
Yes rotate the inside car HSD cable.

Did you add necessary VO option and new cafd file before testing?

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #144
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes rotate the inside car HSD cable.

Did you add necessary VO option and new cafd file before testing?
Hello,

Yes I Did it. ll it's ok and I check that the right VO is present after.

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #145
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hello,

OK, I continue to do some trials this morning, without success.

First, one important question. When you said 90 counter-clock, is it what you do with the connector in front of you, or by looking on the same direction as the connector ? Is my question clear ?

I consider that the rotation side is given by looking in the same direction as the connector, like if you are behind it, is that ok ? If not, the both connection are on the bad side.

What I did :

As in a F25, the connector for the wire in the door paner is a straigth one, I can do the modification of orientation on both side. It's more easy for me to do it on the door panel side than the inside side.

So I modify the connector on passenger and driver side, 90 counter clock for passenger side and 270 counter clock for driver side

Re-mount the car .. reset the ECU, and check all ... and .. nothing new

Here some information coming from ISTA +

Regarding the ECU

I try to check the cam consumption ... and ... nothing !

And I still have 2 defect

I have no more idea now, except if you say that I make the rotation on the bad side ... but even in this situation, really not convince that's enough to solve this issue.

Do you think that it can come from a ECU dysfonction ?

Many thanks .. I'm a little despite...

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 10:57 AM   #146
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hello,

OK, I continue to do some trials this morning, without success.

First, one important question. When you said 90 counter-clock, is it what you do with the connector in front of you, or by looking on the same direction as the connector ? Is my question clear ?

I consider that the rotation side is given by looking in the same direction as the connector, like if you are behind it, is that ok ? If not, the both connection are on the bad side.

What I did :

As in a F25, the connector for the wire in the door paner is a straigth one, I can do the modification of orientation on both side. It's more easy for me to do it on the door panel side than the inside side.

So I modify the connector on passenger and driver side, 90 counter clock for passenger side and 270 counter clock for driver side

Re-mount the car .. reset the ECU, and check all ... and .. nothing new

Here some information coming from ISTA +

Regarding the ECU

I try to check the cam consumption ... and ... nothing !

And I still have 2 defect

I have no more idea now, except if you say that I make the rotation on the bad side ... but even in this situation, really not convince that's enough to solve this issue.

Do you think that it can come from a ECU dysfonction ?

Many thanks .. I'm a little despite...

Catolard
Top view camera, right, not fitted
Top view camera, left, not fitted

Those are the exact same errors i got and i solved it in two steps
1. By rotating the cable 90deg at a time. You already know this solution.
2. Sometimes the male and felame pin lengths may not be sufficient enough for a proper connection when passed through the door plugs (loose connection). For this, I have drilled the inside door plug completely to make the hsd cable to freely pass from inside to reach mirror hsd on driver side.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 03:52 AM   #147
frenchi
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Performance

Quote:
Top view camera, right, not fitted
Top view camera, left, not fitted

Those are the exact same errors i got and i solved it in two steps
1. By rotating the cable 90deg at a time. You already know this solution.
2. Sometimes the male and felame pin lengths may not be sufficient enough for a proper connection when passed through the door plugs (loose connection). For this, I have drilled the inside door plug completely to make the hsd cable to freely pass from inside to reach mirror hsd on driver side.
Just to make things clear - Did you try to retrofit surround view without the front bumper cameras ? If it's so it won't work. I already made two of these retrofits on F30 and you should never try to connect the mirror camera on an open door.When door is opened trsvc cut the signal to the mirror camera. Replug all inside and door connectors and make a connection from TRSVC to camera /remove it from the mirror/ just to check your connections and coding.I bought a cheap chinese long cable for testing trsvc to camera direct connection bypassing the door.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #148
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hello,

OK, some interesting things in your 2 last message guys. Thanks for that.

Door have to be close. OK, I understand that and that could explain some bad result, or at least suppress some interpretation of some trials done, grrrrr

Yes I want to add Top View and not side view. It's not possible to add side view on a F25, only on a F25LCI. I can't add the button for that. The ECU had only 3 entry for the Top View and Rear Cam, compare to a ECU with side view at 5 entry. Why did you say that it won't work ?

Just to remind one open question. When you said 90 ° counter clock, it's when you lokk at the connector in front of you or when watching in the same direction as the connector ?

Thanks for your support. For sure we will find !!!

catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:34 AM   #149
catolard
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW X3  [0.00]
Hi everybody,

So happy, and a little proud today.

With all your explanation, I start some test.

First of all, it's possible to test by plugging the wire directly on the connector of the door event if the door is open. If you don't connect the whole connector, I discover that I can have the picture if the connection is good.

If you want to try with the connector complete, it's not so difficult. Just move twice position of the lock of the door, and so the car think that the dioor is closed and it work easily.

Here 3 pictures, normal position when door is open, first rotation and the second one. Don't forget to "open" the door before closing it after lol.

By doing so, I discover that the issue coming from the connection on the mirror side. On both mirror, the HSDC wire are not rightly connected and that the reason. After, I just have to find the good rotation. It seems that for a X3, the "normal rotation, that means without any drilling, is the good one.

and .. and ....

yahooooo.

I do a calibration, hope correctly, and here is the result.

What do you think ? seems good ?

Catolard
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #150
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hi everybody,

So happy, and a little proud today.

With all your explanation, I start some test.

First of all, it's possible to test by plugging the wire directly on the connector of the door event if the door is open. If you don't connect the whole connector, I discover that I can have the picture if the connection is good.

If you want to try with the connector complete, it's not so difficult. Just move twice position of the lock of the door, and so the car think that the dioor is closed and it work easily.

Here 3 pictures, normal position when door is open, first rotation and the second one. Don't forget to "open" the door before closing it after lol.

By doing so, I discover that the issue coming from the connection on the mirror side. On both mirror, the HSDC wire are not rightly connected and that the reason. After, I just have to find the good rotation. It seems that for a X3, the "normal rotation, that means without any drilling, is the good one.

and .. and ....

yahooooo.

I do a calibration, hope correctly, and here is the result.

What do you think ? seems good ?

Catolard
Yup that looks good to me

Congratulations!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #151
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Would anyone be able to confirm the correct part number for a F31? It seems most of this is for an F30 and the cable that goes to the rear camera is different. I think it's this, but I can't be certain (61119325076 - $55 at ECS)

Also looking for the correct cables (part number) that go to the front bumper for side view as my TRSVC doesn't seem to think the cameras are connected. I know there's a whole kit, but it's $300 and it's probably cheaper to get them separately if I only need two.

My F31 Luxury had this all working from factory, but had the TRSVC and rear camera cable stolen. I have a new TRSVC installed and configured. Now ISTA doesn't see the rear camera and bumper cameras connected, though the mirror ones are fine. I bought an eBay cable for the rear camera and it is also not detected, so I want to get an OEM one, if it's cheap enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #152
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
Would anyone be able to confirm the correct part number for a F31? It seems most of this is for an F30 and the cable that goes to the rear camera is different. I think it's this, but I can't be certain (61119325076 - $55 at ECS)

Also looking for the correct cables (part number) that go to the front bumper for side view as my TRSVC doesn't seem to think the cameras are connected. I know there's a whole kit, but it's $300 and it's probably cheaper to get them separately if I only need two.

My F31 Luxury had this all working from factory, but had the TRSVC and rear camera cable stolen. I have a new TRSVC installed and configured. Now ISTA doesn't see the rear camera and bumper cameras connected, though the mirror ones are fine. I bought an eBay cable for the rear camera and it is also not detected, so I want to get an OEM one, if it's cheap enough.
I've been using REAL OEM, but I tried bmw-etk and found this for the front bumper right camera part: 61119182329. Based on an ebay search (BMW Side View Bumper Camera LVDS Cable), the left one is 61119241284 (It has a white connector, where the right has a green one).

They are still $100 each. The logical question then is if I should order the whole OEM BMW surround view wiring harness from ECS for $308. From the pics it looks like it has the green and white connectors in here.
ECS: 61119281258
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 12:29 AM   #153
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G01 x3 xDrive30i M

I have ordered most of the parts for this retrofit and will be doing it as soon as they arrive.

I wasn't going to install side view cameras, just rear view and top view ....can you please confirm if this will work or not?

In the post below it says that it wont work without the side view cameras (bumper cameras) connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchi View Post
Just to make things clear - Did you try to retrofit surround view without the front bumper cameras ? If it's so it won't work. I already made two of these retrofits on F30 and you should never try to connect the mirror camera on an open door.When door is opened trsvc cut the signal to the mirror camera. Replug all inside and door connectors and make a connection from TRSVC to camera /remove it from the mirror/ just to check your connections and coding.I bought a cheap chinese long cable for testing trsvc to camera direct connection bypassing the door.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:52 PM   #154
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Does anyone know the parts # for the repair pins for the wire between the ICM and the center control switch?

Thanks!

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0