F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Which car play do I get?
Studio RSR

02-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
kevinb21
as long as it runs :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i/ e92 335i

Which car play do I get?

I have a 2013 328i with navigation and the larger 8.8in screen, I wanted to do a Carlinkit CarPlay retrofit so I contacted Carlinkit and they requested a picture of my idrive screen and my vin. I sent it to them and they told me my car has cic, so they sent out a cic unit. That makes sense as my car has the smaller controller and the interface isn't the same as nbt. When I got the cic unit I installed it to the car but it wouldn't work and the idrive screen said no signal instead of displaying CarPlay.... the origional headunit on the car says "CIC-HIGH".... is there a way I can get the cic CarPlay unit to work? Or do I need to buy an nbt unit? Or is there such thing as a special cic-high unit????
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

According to this: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...cic-nbt-nbtevo

CIC-High is NBT
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
zhoushilun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428I

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb21 View Post
I have a 2013 328i with navigation and the larger 8.8in screen, I wanted to do a Carlinkit CarPlay retrofit so I contacted Carlinkit and they requested a picture of my idrive screen and my vin. I sent it to them and they told me my car has cic, so they sent out a cic unit. That makes sense as my car has the smaller controller and the interface isn't the same as nbt. When I got the cic unit I installed it to the car but it wouldn't work and the idrive screen said no signal instead of displaying CarPlay.... the origional headunit on the car says "CIC-HIGH".... is there a way I can get the cic CarPlay unit to work? Or do I need to buy an nbt unit? Or is there such thing as a special cic-high unit????
Nonono, do not do the Carlinkit, I had one and they are horrible, no signal for navigation except the Apple map, very low volume for the microphone, overheat my iphone when I connect by wire.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoushilun View Post
Quote:
Nonono, do not do the Carlinkit, I had one and they are horrible, no signal for navigation except the Apple map, very low volume for the microphone, overheat my iphone when I connect by wire.
Which Apple car play do you reccomend under 4-500$ that isn't bad?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #5
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
So I need to buy an nbt unit? I thought the same but the thing is the interface of my car is that of cic and on the vin decoder it says I have cic-high, which is kind of a weird merge of cic and nbt since it has the interface and telematics and controller of cic but it doesn't work with cic CarPlay because the harness seems to be different for the lvds monitor cable, but from what I have heard nbt has the 6 pin lvds but cic high has a 4 pin lvds with a seperate 2 pin while regular cic just has 4 pins... so I don't know if cic high would work with an nbt CarPlay unit
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

What does your connector look like ?

Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does your connector look like ?

The connector to the display is identical to that of the picture (6pin) but the lvds cable going to the idrive unit itself is a 6 pin, but it's a 4 pin lvds with a separate small connector splitting off to a desperate connector on the back of the Hu
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the separate 2 pin connector look a similar size, shape and distance to that on the outside of the 6 pin connector above ?

If not, then I guess there isn't a box available for yours (which would seem strange).

Everything I can find, suggests CiC High is NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does the separate 2 pin connector look a similar size, shape and distance to that on the outside of the 6 pin connector above ?

If not, then I guess there isn't a box available for yours (which would seem strange).

Everything I can find, suggests CiC High is NBT.
[IMG][/IMG]

I circled where the lvds cable and additional connector go on the back of the cic-high headunit
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Definitely looks like the CiC connector then.

I have no idea what the answer is, maybe there just isn't a unit for your setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #11
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely looks like the CiC connector then.

I have no idea what the answer is, maybe there just isn't a unit for your setup.
Is there a way I can rig the cic CarPlay setup to somehow display out to the idrive screen? Somehow get the 2 additional pins powered or somethin because I am not sure since the cic CarPlay has both ends 4 pin...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Why are you not asking Carlinkit about the crap they sent you?

Either the adapter is for a CIC (which your car has) or not.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #13
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Why are you not asking Carlinkit about the crap they sent you?

Either the adapter is for a CIC (which your car has) or not.

Quote:
They are 200% useless. Late responses and poor English translation along with absolute crap troubleshooting where they ask me a question, wait 4 days to respond. Then ask me the same question. I have a cic unit and everything seems to power on and work and when I click the menue button it makes a click noise and changes the display but the idrive screen says "no signal"
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They are 200% useless. Late responses and poor English translation along with absolute crap troubleshooting where they ask me a question, wait 4 days to respond. Then ask me the same question. I have a cic unit and everything seems to power on and work and when I click the menue button it makes a click noise and changes the display but the idrive screen says "no signal"
Look for jumpers or switches inside unit for configuration settings. Seems to me that the unit “kinda” work until it switches to CarPlay output- there is no video output (“No Signal”). It is not completely dead or a non-CIC unit, it is the correct CIC adapter but no CarPlay output. It may be that CarPlay must be turned on somehow with a jumper or switch inside unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:09 PM   #15
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Look for jumpers or switches inside unit for configuration settings. Seems to me that the unit "kinda" work until it switches to CarPlay output- there is no video output ("No Signal"). It is not completely dead or a non-CIC unit, it is the correct CIC adapter but no CarPlay output. It may be that CarPlay must be turned on somehow with a jumper or switch inside unit.
Everything was said to come set up and I have all the jumpers the way they seem to be meant to go
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #16
xDHC
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F20 116i

Quote:
So I need to buy an nbt unit? I thought the same but the thing is the interface of my car is that of cic and on the vin decoder it says I have cic-high, which is kind of a weird merge of cic and nbt since it has the interface and telematics and controller of cic but it doesn't work with cic CarPlay because the harness seems to be different for the lvds monitor cable, but from what I have heard nbt has the 6 pin lvds but cic high has a 4 pin lvds with a seperate 2 pin while regular cic just has 4 pins... so I don't know if cic high would work with an nbt CarPlay unit
CIC-HIGH is just another name for NBT....a F30 from 2013 (month 3+) should have NBT and not CIC.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:56 AM   #17
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDHC View Post
Quote:
CIC-HIGH is just another name for NBT....a F30 from 2013 (month 3+) should have NBT and not CIC.
My car has a production date of 5/13 (May 2013) but when I run the vin on bmw decoder it says the car is cic, and not nbt on the decoder. This along with the head unit itself having a sticker saying "cic-high", lastly the controller is that from cic and the interface is also cic interface with navigation... it seems to me that cic-high is some weird blend of cic and nbt where it has the software and most of the hardware of cic but the screen has the 6pin input from a nbt, although the head unit itself outputs a 4 pin with another separate connector branching off... its oddly confusing since cic CarPlay won't work with my car, but since my controller and head unit doesn't run nbt software along with the lvds out being different I would reasonably assume that an nbt unit wouldn't work either sine the lvds supplied with those is 6 pin on both sides of the patch cable..., and if you refer to my earlier pics you can see that the cic high unit has a 4 pin out with a separate branch connector but the 8.8 display has a single 6 pin in
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:40 AM   #18
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

How are the cable connections from and to the CarPlay box?

Quote:
My car has a production date of 5/13 (May 2013) but when I run the vin on bmw decoder it says the car is cic, and not nbt on the decoder. This along with the head unit itself having a sticker saying "cic-high", lastly the controller is that from cic and the interface is also cic interface with navigation... it seems to me that cic-high is some weird blend of cic and nbt where it has the software and most of the hardware of cic but the screen has the 6pin input from a nbt, although the head unit itself outputs a 4 pin with another separate connector branching off... its oddly confusing since cic CarPlay won't work with my car, but since my controller and head unit doesn't run nbt software along with the lvds out being different I would reasonably assume that an nbt unit wouldn't work either sine the lvds supplied with those is 6 pin on both sides of the patch cable..., and if you refer to my earlier pics you can see that the cic high unit has a 4 pin out with a separate branch connector but the 8.8 display has a single 6 pin in
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:02 AM   #19
zhoushilun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 428I

Quote:
Which Apple car play do you reccomend under 4-500$ that isn't bad?
I replaced my Carlinkit as Bimmertech, but it will over your budget. I only used Carlinkit and Bimmertech, the rest I do not know.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #20
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How are the cable connections from and to the CarPlay box?

Quote:
The CarPlay box has an input harness coming from the idrive controller, from there it has a mic input Along with some other provisions for cameras etc, and lastly it has a patch harness which connects to the head units lvds out and then connects to the idrive displays input, thats it, it doesn't mess with the large 48 pin connector at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

I have dealt with Carlinkit and yes there are language limitations and time differences to deal with but they will be there for you - you still need to do a fair bit of homework though...

For now, assuming you have the correct working carlinkit box for your car, please re-check the pins - remember you have to pull the power cable from the box for any changes to work... if you then still cant get Carplay to work just return it.

Is fairly easy to identify CIC or NBT interfaces (here a link with good pictures: https://mca.electricmura.ro/en/blog-...or-nbt-idrive/ )

If you have CIC, looks like Joyeauto and UAD also have compatible boxes.

If you have NBT, Carlinkit, Andream, IndiWork, Bimmertech, Joyeauto, UAD...

Last edited by x-m4n; 02-12-2020 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #22
kevinb21
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I have dealt with Carlinkit and yes there are language limitations and time differences to deal with but they will be there for you - you still need to do a fair bit of homework though...

For now, assuming you have the correct working carlinkit box for your car, please re-check the pins - remember you have to pull the power cable from the box for any changes to work... if you then still cant get Carplay to work just return it.

Is fairly easy to identify CIC or NBT interfaces (here a link with good pictures: https://mca.electricmura.ro/en/blog-...or-nbt-idrive/ )

If you have CIC, looks like Joyeauto and UAD also have compatible boxes.

If you have NBT, Carlinkit, Andream, IndiWork, Bimmertech, Joyeauto, UAD...
After contacting Carlinkit support they concluded that my car is nbt not cic, but I am still extremely confused since the output of my headunit is 4pin lvds although the nbt headunit have a 6 pin output, also my idrive controller and interface is exactly that of I drive cic. CiC- high seems to need a custom connector that adapts the 4 pin and seperate 2 pin branch output of the headunit into the single 6 pin input of the 8.8in screen (screen seems to be the same as nbt) so If I purchase a nbt carplay kit I am almost sure it won't work
Appreciate 0