F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2016 BMW 420i xDrive (B48) rattle noise from exhaust
proTUNING Freaks

12-02-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Mantas Budrikas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 420i xDrive

2016 BMW 420i xDrive (B48) rattle noise from exhaust

Hello guys, I am new to this forum.

I am having a problem with my 2016 BMW 420i xDrive (B48). While trying to give throttle and accelerate, a strange sound appears from the exhaust. It sounds like an old rattle noise, like from a 10 year car... BMW official dealer told me car had a turbine valve problem (open, but do not close properly), so they changed the turbo to a new one (car is on a 5-year warranty). The sound disappeared for like 2-3 months, but when appeared again.

Did anyone experienced similar problem and know what this is all about? BWM dealer is avoiding to fix it and it makes me nervous.

Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

can you post a clip of the sound?
      12-12-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
mazdamx594
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas Budrikas View Post

I am having a problem with my 2016 BMW 420i xDrive (B48). While trying to give throttle and accelerate, a strange sound appears from the exhaust. It sounds like an old rattle noise, like from a 10 year car... BMW official dealer told me car had a turbine valve problem (open, but do not close properly), so they changed the turbo to a new one (car is on a 5-year warranty). The sound disappeared for like 2-3 months, but when appeared again.

Did anyone experienced similar problem and know what this is all about? BWM dealer is avoiding to fix it and it makes me nervous.

Thank you very much!
It's your exhaust valve. If you look at the tail pipes, one of them should have a module attached to a pivot that runs through the center of the pipe. If you touch and hold the pivot and the noise goes away, it means the plastic bearing has worn down allowing the valve to rattle at low rpm when it is closed. I had this happen twice on my 430i.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #4
OC_F32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantas Budrikas View Post

Thank you very much!
Sounds like a similar issue that I had which ended up being caused by the butterfly valve near the exhaust opening/tailpipe. There is a U shaped clip that connects the actuator which opens and closes the exhaust flap after the car is warm and driving mode is changed. If the clip is missing or not connected, the flap inside the tailpipe will move freely causing a rattle sound. It was a simple and inexpensive fix for me.
Appreciate 0