F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 2013 F30 - Driver side door wont open from the outside
ARMA SPEED

12-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #1
JayPatelRFD
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35D

2013 F30 - Driver side door wont open from the outside

Hi everyone

searched through lots of threads but cant seem to find anything that fits my use case. Apologies in advance.

My 2013 F30 Xdrive driver side door wont open using the outside door handle as of yesterday. I drove through some really cold temps during a road trip - hit a peak of -25C at some points. I tried to open the door after I gassed up and nothing. The door will not unlock. I can lock and unlock the car using comfort access on the door handle but the door will not open. I can hear the door trying to unlock. I have to open the window and reach on the inside to open using the inside door handle.

I did have a battery discharge warning come up as well during the trip likely due to the frigid cold. Im on the OEM battery with 130000 KM's on it. Started the car today and the error was not there any longer.

Anyone come across this with the door handle?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If water got into the door it could have frozen in the mechanism. When I took delivery it was the end of January. The physical key wouldn't turn. The day before I was going to take it in to be looked at the temperature went above freezing for the first time since I had the car and the key worked. I figured that they washed the car and got water in the lock, right before they parked it outside. Get the car warm, if only by parking with the sun shining on the door. If that doesn't work you'll have to pull the door card to see what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2023, 01:16 PM   #3
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

I had something similar happen with my passenger door. The connecting rod had popped out making the outside handle not work. Apparently, it's not an uncommon issue. It was easy enough to put back in place after removing the door skin and I further secured it with a zip tie.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxpeter View Post
I had something similar happen with my passenger door. The connecting rod had popped out making the outside handle not work. Apparently, it's not an uncommon issue. It was easy enough to put back in place after removing the door skin and I further secured it with a zip tie.
I think my actuator "froze" not temp freeze but locked up. It appears my lock is in deadbolt and I cant get the door open to take the trim panel off to change the actuator.
Did you have the same experience? How did you resolve it?
Appreciate 0