F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2013 328xi undriveable after adding fuel injector cleaner
proTUNING Freaks

09-01-2020, 07:05 AM   #1
Radioaktivitat
Newbie to BMWs
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Xdrive N20

2013 328xi undriveable after adding fuel injector cleaner

Hello all,

First time here so don't hesitate to tell me if there's anything.

Now, I have a 2013 328xi with the n20 engine that I bought in may. The timing chain was replaced by the Nissan dealership that sold me the car under legal warranty as it happened within a month of me having the car.

The car also had a check engine light saying that both oxygen sensors were faulty (fuel mix too rich) According to our agreement upon replacing the chain themselves, they were paying for a complete inspection by a BMW dealer. The nearest one is 200 kms from me. When I got the inspection, a couple of things were wrong but nothing major except for the sensors.

I was told that there would have to be further investigation for that specific problem as the tech had already spent 3 hours on it for the inspection and it was 1630 hrs so they were closing soon.

The service advisor did tell me that the injectors were probably clogged from is experience and the symptoms the car was having: rough idle, smell of gas, had stalled once at a red light at the time.

The inspection was end of July. The car was getting rougher and rougher and I was supposed to get it service in 2 weeks.

Now to the problem.

As the car was getting rough and according to the advisor the injectors were probably the issue, I added fuel injector cleaner when filling up.

It got MUCH MUCH WORSE. I drove home and the car was running a little rougher but I figured it was probably just doing its job (stalled twice). When I went to drive it the next day, it was extremely rough. It was almost unable to accelerate and was "kicking"? as I drove. It was horrible. Now, you can't drive it more than a couple hundred meters. The car stalls every couple seconds.

What did I do wrong? Anything I can do?

Thank you very much to anyone that will take the time to reply.

TLDR: added fuel injector cleaner, car is now an angry cow.

Last edited by Radioaktivitat; 09-02-2020 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Fuel injector cleaner takes time to work, so assuming it was good stuff, like Techron, that probably isn't the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
Nathen4242
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Gran Coupé 428iX N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioaktivitat View Post
Hello all,

First time here so don't hesitate to tell me if there's anything.

Now, I have a 2013 328xi with the n20 engine that I bought in may. The timing chain was replaced by the Nissan dealership that sold me the car under legal warranty as it happened within a month of me having the car.

The car also had a check engine light saying that both oxygen sensors were faulty (fuel mix too rich) According to our agreement upon replacing the chain themselves, they were paying for a complete inspection by a BMW dealer. The nearest one is 200 kms from me. When I got the inspection, a couple of things were wrong but nothing major except for the sensors.

I was told that there would have to be further investigation for that specific problem as the tech had already spent 3 hours on it for the inspection and it was 1630 hrs so they were closing soon.

The service advisor did tell me that the injectors were probably clogged from is experience and the symptoms the car was having: rough idle, smell of gas, had stalled once at a red light at the time.

The inspection was end of July. The car was getting rougher and rougher and I was supposed to get it service in 2 weeks.

Now to the problem.

As the car was getting rough and according to the advisor the injectors were probably the issue, I added fuel injector cleaner when filling up.

It got MUCH MUCH WORSE. I drove home and the car was running a little rougher but I figured it was probably just doing its job (stalled twice). When I went to drive it the next day, it was extremely rough. It was almost unable to accelerate and was "kicking"? as I drove. It was horrible. Now, you can't drive it more than a couple hundred meters. The car stalls every couple seconds.

What did I do wrong? Anything I can do?

Thank you very much to anyone that will take the time to reply.

TLDR: added fuel injector cleaner, car is now an angry cow.
Fuel injector cleaner was it from BMW? Was it the Oem Fuel Injector Cleaner?