F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 Drivetrain Malfunction - Related to BMS Stage 1 Tuning?
Extreme Powerhouse

04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #23
FrozenDarkness
Rep
Drives: BMW

i'm still a little nervous whenever i hit it hard, but nothing yet so i'm very happy
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328cnx View Post
Seems like the Bms not really relialable!
Anyone else has negative experience??
seems like it....but be prepared for the "BMS Loyalists" to fight for the bms honor and say that is not the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
Christian H
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30 Alpine White

My 2013 328i Sportline 8-speed went into limp mode this morning with the "drivetrain malfunction" error. In the shop now for diag.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H View Post
My 2013 328i Sportline 8-speed went into limp mode this morning with the "drivetrain malfunction" error. In the shop now for diag.
Do you have a BMS tune you can blame it on too?

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #27
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotios335i View Post
BMS's tunes are about as reliable as they come. These are very sophisticated cars, sometimes things go wrong. BMS is a solid company.
A lot of these guys seem to be new to performance cars and tuning in general. A fault code just means you have some issue you need to further look in to. There is no reason to rush in to the dealer if you get a fault code. You read the code, determine if the issue is related to some modification you've added or not, and go from there. If it might be related to some modification you send the code along to the manufacturer for their opinion on what might have caused it and what to do next.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #28
Christian H
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i F30 Alpine White

My post was merely to log another instance of the drivetrain malfunction problem in this transmission. It's under warranty so I don't care what caused it and I don't mind driving loaners for as long as it takes to fix. I'm not new to tunes or German cars but this is wifey's car and it's' stock one month old. I didn't see any other threads created yet regarding this issue, but maybe I'll start one for cars that are stock since this one was started originally suspecting the tune. I also wouldn't treat this problem as casually as a check engine light, given that the car is disabling itself.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian H View Post
My post was merely to log another instance of the drivetrain malfunction problem in this transmission. It's under warranty so I don't care what caused it and I don't mind driving loaners for as long as it takes to fix. I'm not new to tunes or German cars but this is wifey's car and it's' stock one month old. I didn't see any other threads created yet regarding this issue, but maybe I'll start one for cars that are stock since this one was started originally suspecting the tune. I also wouldn't treat this problem as casually as a check engine light, given that the car is disabling itself.
I was just teasing.

The topic of this thread implied the tuner possibly at fault and even after that was found not to be the case, some with agendas still perpetuate it's the tuner at the same time referring to others who would say NO are BMS FANBOIS lol.

So posting in this thread may just perpetuate that false information.

It may be best to start your own thread.

If a fault is directly related to a tune, from any tuner, it's great to discuss with the tuner and share with the community the outcome and experience. But a thread like this, to have such a title, it can hurt one's reputation and in this case, was completely unjustified.

But watch, now I am going to have some kids call me a BMS loyalist...sigh.

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #30
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
If a fault is directly related to a tune, from any tuner, it's great to discuss with the tuner and share with the community the outcome and experience. But a thread like this, to have such a title, it can hurt one's reputation and in this case, was completely unjustified.
With all due respect to the OP, I agree that his thread was based on guesswork and coincidence. In hindsight, the issue should have been properly investigated and diagnosed before posting.

What a different thread title & first post it would have been. Complete with the truth and guesswork free (again, all due respect to the OP - yes, he was worried, I understand the anxiety), confirming the BMS Stage 1 unit had not directly caused the engine malfunctions or any other malfunction. Certainly, due to what the unit does, there could have been an exaggeration of the pre install existing issue or another issue, however, it was not the cause of the fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
But watch, now I am going to have some kids call me a BMS loyalist...sigh.
You BMS loyalist!!!! (me toooooooo).
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

I have also read that there were some problems locally here with these vacuum hoses. I'll be sure to have them check mine for my first oil change/service.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
325i08
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport line

Installed the BMS Stage 1 today and i got the Drivetrain malfunction warning right after installed. Was trying a few miles with the BMS on and my car was in limp mode showing the drivetrain malfunctions all the time. Removed the BMS, reset the battery and it went off to normal. Disconnected the battery, installed it again and got the Drivetrain again. I cant tell but it seems the tune caused the drivetrain malfunction.

I checked everything and the BMS tune was installed by professionals following the instruction on BMS website.

My car is 328i AT. VIN: F231549. Can someone help pls?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i08 View Post
Installed the BMS Stage 1 today and i got the Drivetrain malfunction warning right after installed. Was trying a few miles with the BMS on and my car was in limp mode showing the drivetrain malfunctions all the time. Removed the BMS, reset the battery and it went off to normal. Disconnected the battery, installed it again and got the Drivetrain again. I cant tell but it seems the tune caused the drivetrain malfunction.

I checked everything and the BMS tune was installed by professionals following the instruction on BMS website.

Shoot the information over to Terry at BMS, he usually replies quickly.

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #34
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325i08 View Post

The first sign of trouble was that "professionals" installed it. If you mix up the purple and brown wires (one is 12v and one is 5v) when installing it will blow a fuse on the control box chip. BMS can help you reset it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #35
325i08
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport line

Thanks guys. What do you say from my pictures? If everythings ok then the 'professionals' installed it correctly because i was standing next to them, watching the installation and taking these pictures.

Im still wondering if it related to my car which is first production build Nov, 2011 like OP said in his 1st post.

Anyways i talked to Terry@bms and he sends me a new one. Will update the results.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Got a drivetrain malfunction today on the way home. Car just shut off at 40mph, no power, no steering, dead. Coasted to a stop, tried restarting, it just sat there and cranked.

Took about 5 minutes of sitting on the side of the road then it restarted, drove in limp mode for about 3 minutes, then the car started jerking back and forth under light throttle, and shut down completely once again. Same thing, waited a few minutes, it restarted, drove home in limp mode.

I guess I'll take off the jb1 and take it to the dealer in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #37
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by smohr33 View Post
Got a drivetrain malfunction today on the way home. Car just shut off at 40mph, no power, no steering, dead. Coasted to a stop, tried restarting, it just sat there and cranked.

Took about 5 minutes of sitting on the side of the road then it restarted, drove in limp mode for about 3 minutes, then the car started jerking back and forth under light throttle, and shut down completely once again. Same thing, waited a few minutes, it restarted, drove home in limp mode.

I guess I'll take off the jb1 and take it to the dealer in the morning.
Picking the car up now. Dealer said the ecu needed to be reflashed, wasn't sure why. No other issues/part malfunctions.

Therefore I can't conclude whether the jb1 was/wasnt the cause, but I can conclude I won't be putting it back on the car. I don't need to get stuck on the side of the road with a car that won't start again, and getting rid of the jb1 makes me feel a little more at ease. It was raining when the car took a crap on me, and the jb1 control box was a little moist (hidden right where the instructions say to, nice and neat). Whether or not that was the cause... I guess I'll never know. I know the jb fanboys would blast me for blaming it on that, but something just didn't seem right.

Anyways, that's my story, hope its an isolated issue and that nobody else has this happen to them.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #38
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

Smohr33,

Did you email Terry/BMS? I'd send the unit back and try to get an answer/diagnose. That is very dangerous. Good thing is that nothing happened to you. I am sure that BMS will take care of it for you. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #39
FrozenDarkness
Rep
Drives: BMW

well, it's been three months and it's come back here and there. I've now taken it into BMW 3 times and each time, the problem resurfaces. I'm going to work directly with Terry to see if he could resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #40
BMW_116i_Hartge
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenDarkness View Post
I noticed that I started getting drivetrain malfunction warnings when I floor the car. Once it hits around 6000 RPM, I get that notification and it gets into limp mode. I've read around about this problem and it seems like everybody has a different conclusion about it (BMW remains mum and says it's a solenoid issue). However I'm freaked out as I've been using stage 1 for a couple weeks now and have to bring the car in.

I obviously will remove the piggy back and have faith that the dealership won't find anything. My biggest concern is that my N20, first production build (2011 November) just doesn't have what it takes to use the BMS Level 1 or that I seriously fucked up the drivetrain somehow.

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776020
was the thread i found

except i wasn't going from automatic to manual when this happend, i was just flooring the car.
I have almost the same problem with my 116i F20 with the Hartge tunning box. When I took it to a dealer here in Bosnia at first they reprogramed the software and later they found my tunning box. They told me that this can void my warranty but this time they will forgive me. I took the tunning off but still was receiving Drivetrain fault on my iDrive. So the car is back at service for diagnostics. Hartge thinks that this is not because of their tunning box but we will see
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #41
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

damm great thread lol

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #42
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
BMS��. VVEERRYY GOOD COMPANY ! HOPE To be Getting my TUNE FROM THEM SOON...
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #43
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Hmm. These cars are so complex it's hard to say. I've been driving the shit out of my car with a fair amount of WOT runs with BMS stage 1 for 3 mos. so far so good
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #44
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Do yall want to see a JB4 Stage 2 murder your DME while the harness and JB4 Stage 2 box is perfect. No ground sensor fault. The case was well protected and wrapped. Was not even dusty.

Sorry to thread jack but for all JB4 enthusiasts Stage 1 on the F30 is ok. I ran that for about 4 months then threw on the MPE and went Stage 2 tapping into 2 CAN wires per the instructions then this:

5 weeks of LIMP MODE!!!!

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=997967

If my fiance was driving you bet your ass I am making the dealer prove their case.

Bottom line don't hate on BMS. Terry and Jon are good guys and take care of you if you simply relax. Imagine my situation 18k miles 335i SportLine brand new Michelin PSS XL's went up a size to fill the gap....threw on the gloss black M spoiler, gloss black M grill, gloss black whiskers to match, paint matched reflectors to the AW....and I was JUST about to get new wheels.

I don't blame BMS because these new F cars have DME's that are PITA from what I have been hearing from several BMW tuners both local and out of state.

Bottom line is this....want a fast car get an M line. If you want a 335i M sport to run like an M3 or M4 you bought the wrong car. Go look at a Vette Stingray, Cayman S, or the ISF if you like Toyotas.

Plus even my mildly modded sportline model F30 335i which comes with the M suspension package plus the tuned 14psi MAP2 I was running on the JB4 Stage 2 on the twin turbo inline 6, I still couldn't hang with a stock Cayman S.

He had me in the easy corners, the straights, the hair pins, no competition. Until we raced home....his top speed is in the 180s but takes a load of balls and stupidity to get up that speed. One thing I like about sedans versus coupes, our B pillars are our best friends.

Coupes you really have to know your surroundings and hope no bikes are around...in a sedan our B pillar is so tiny weaving is a breeze!

So in traffic I raped him by 12 minutes to dinner LOL.
Appreciate 0