F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 440i GC - 10,000 mile review
GetBMWParts

01-09-2019, 08:17 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Verdict
A very nice car indeed, and a great daily driver, although I wouldn't say it was exceptional. To be exceptional, the steering and suspension would have to be improved, IMO.
Raucous and refined in equal measure. Comfortable on long journeys and fun on B road blasts. The hatch is a good, practical space too, in spite of the low angle of the glass. It's very pretty to look at, IMO. Here's a couple of pics of her, unwashed and in winter sunlight.

B58 with MPPSK
It's the highlight for certain. Very potent, rapid and very willing. I didn't get the MPPSK until six months in, and hesitated for some time beforehand. It obviously makes the engine/exhaust a lot more vocal, as they're pretty quiet without it. Comfort mode is a nice compromise, to my ears – deeper and more guttural than stock, without being boy racer. Sport/Sport+ is loud, by any standards, and the novelty soon wears off. Moving through the gears at pace is very satisfying, and power wise, the extra 50Nm is nice to have, although not that obvious. I added the M Performance rear diffuser as it blends in better with the carbon tips than the stock one does, to my eyes.
I'm averaging bang on 34 mpg since new, which is pretty impressive for a 355bhp/500Nm motor. The MPPSK hasn't made much difference either. I don't drive like a granddad and nor do I trash it. Most significantly, I do very few short, urban trips. When I do, mpg falls like a stone. By comparison, I got 42mpg in my 330D with MPPK over three years. I'm using Tesco Momentum 99RON consistently now, having experimented with the branded premium unleaded options. It's cheap – cheaper than diesel! - and the engine seems to like it.

Adaptive M Sport Suspension
I've had this before so knew what to expect. It works best at lower speeds when it irons out most imperfections in the road, even on 19"s. It's less convincing at motorway speeds, 70-80 mph, when the car can feel a bit floaty and unsettled on some surfaces. The tyres probably aren't helping. I have the dreaded Bridgestone S001's, which are rubbish RFTs. I don't know why BMW continues to spec them. I WILL change them, honest...

Icon Adaptive LED headlights
Had Adaptive Xenons on my F31 and these new ones work well. I'd say that the Adaptive LEDs are not quite as bright as the Adaptive Xenons, although bright enough. They are whiter, however. The high beam assist works really well with the LED's, and more intelligently than with the Xenons, from what I can tell.

Carbon Black, Carbon Aluminium trim and Ivory White Dakota
Carbon Black is difficult to maintain, end of. I had the car detailed from new with Kamikaze products which makes it easier to wash, and she looks superb when clean. However, CB shows every mark and blemish. You only have to touch the paintwork. Still love the colour but it's a bugger, as I said. I went for the Carbon Alu trim as I didn't want wood. Dark enough to contrast with the Ivory White Dakota but not as special as Piano Black - but I was put off by the marking and maintenance issues which others have posted about. Ivory White looks lovely with a dark exterior but marks easily. I use Dr Leather fluid, which gets off most stuff. Brand new jeans are a nightmare. I stick a single layer of old towel on the seat base when I'm wearing them. OCD I know, but I can't be arsed to clean the seats all the time.

Digital Cockpit
I'm pretty indifferent towards this, tbh. I spec'd it as I thought it would help to make the interior look a bit more up to date, which it does, but it's a bit gimmicky really. The old-style BMW analogue dials are pretty classy IMO.

Harmon Kardon sound
Not brilliant and not bad either in the 4GC, once you've got the equalizer settings right, and better of course than the poor stock offering. Some tunes sound a lot better without the Logic 7 Surround enabled, and vice versa. Older rock which has been remastered, for example, certainly sounds better without Surround.

Electric seats
Wouldn't have spec'd them but they come with the 4GC. Useful for getting the perfect position, and the memory buttons are handy. Shame the passenger side doesn't have them too.

iDrive
I still reckon it's the best infotainment system out there in terms of ease of use and elegance, and it gets better with each iteration. I haven't used the touchscreen once, however.
Attached Images

01-09-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
BigJack75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Dream Car

Wow good thorough review. A bit tough though. I have 435i GC. I love it. It is the best car I’ve owned to date.

What diffuser did you get?
Appreciate 2
      01-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
Wow good thorough review. A bit tough though. I have 435i GC. I love it. It is the best car I’ve owned to date.

What diffuser did you get?
A little tough in places maybe but honest
The diffuser is OEM M Performance
      01-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #4
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Great review, thanks for sharing.
      01-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great review. I agree with many of your observations. Bridgestone Potenza S001 tires fall short of other, better RFTs, such as Pirelli P Zero.

I am also thinking of adding MPPSK after 2 years of owning 2017 BMW 440i GC.

M Adaptive suspension is good but I wish for a more capable electromagnetic suspension. BMW hasn't yet reached this point in suspension evolution.
Appreciate 1