F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 6MT Rev Match Issue?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #1
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i 6MT xDrive

Question Bootmod3 6MT Rev Match Issue?

Does this affect anyone else's 6MT?

I’ve noticed that rev matching seems to act a little differently than stock, even in comfort and sport, on BM3

Before BM3, if I would clutch in, then change gears with the shifter and it rev matched, but I did not release the clutch, after the revs hung for a few seconds they would fall to normal idle level - then with the clutch pressed in still, if I moved the gear selector back to neutral, released the clutch, pressed the clutch in again, then moved it back to gear, it would rev match again, and I could release the clutch to engage.

However, on BM3, while rev match does work for the initial shift, if I leave the clutch pressed in and move the shifter right back to neutral and let off the clutch, then press the clutch again and try to shift a second time, it does not rev match the second time. It requires shifting into a gear and releasing the clutch, before it will start rev matching again.

It seems like before, releasing the clutch resets the rev match timer, even in neutral, but now it requires actually going into gear and releasing the clutch before resetting the rev match timer. Is that just some coding that PTF may need to tweak or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Double clutch rev match doesn't work with BM3.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      12-02-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
lol, well that’s a simple answer

Do you know if that’s by design, or just not something they have programmed into the tune (but could)?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I have the rev match disabled (as all of you should .. really) and I have terrible rev hang with bm3. It's like it tries to keep it in boost, flat foot shifting almost. It goes away with reset adapts, which is why I still haven't gotten it logged. It's the worst thing about the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #5
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

How do you disable rematching? Bimmercode?
Appreciate 1
eluded2959.00
      12-03-2022, 03:38 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Double clutching also disables rev match if it's stock programming
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 03:40 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytoplasm0671 View Post
How do you disable rematching? Bimmercode?
Double clutch

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

So I just realized that with Bootmod3, my car no longer has rev matching off in Sport+ either

I had rev match in Comfort and Sport before, but I believe it was set to "off" in Sport+, and was also able to restart the rev match timer in Comfort and Sport before just by moving the shifter into the next gear (but still clutching in), then back to neutral, releasing the clutch, then back to the next gear again. So if you took too long releasing the clutch into gear and the rev match timer expired and the revs fell, you could clutch out in neutral to restart the rev match timer and then go back to the desired gear. None of that works now

However, Halim said they did not touch any of those settings from OEM. I do know the previous owner of my car had a "stage 1" tune, but I did not know whose tune or where it came from, and my tuning shop couldn't determine either. He did have some things coded in (such as side mirrors folding in upon door lock, auto stop/start off by default, etc), which still work. I'm wondering if the rev match off in Sport+, as well as the ability to restart the rev match duration timer with clutch in/out in neutral, were things he had coded in that were overwritten by Bootmod3?

Does that sound possible? If so, any thoughts how? I didn't see rev match settings in Bimmercode's list of coding options either (https://bimmercode.app/cars/f30/)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 04:18 AM   #9
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep

There's fdl coding to disable it. The gearbox is synchronized it's totally stupid to talk about double clutch.

Tcm_startlock_clutch & brake. Search for it. It tricks it into an automatic somewhat so the gear matching stops. I have to hit both brake and clutch to start the car, but I can blip as needed without fighting something that is wrong in many cases

Or just hold the traction button down for 5 seconds, Dsc off mode also turns it off. This is the only mode I can drive the car. Comfort is out of control with throttle closures and applying the brakes.

I'm pretty sure the rev hang is an adapts thing, is there a way to stop or trick these adaptations off?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #10
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
There's fdl coding to disable it. The gearbox is synchronized it's totally stupid to talk about double clutch.

Tcm_startlock_clutch & brake. Search for it. It tricks it into an automatic somewhat so the gear matching stops. I have to hit both brake and clutch to start the car, but I can blip as needed without fighting something that is wrong in many cases

Or just hold the traction button down for 5 seconds, Dsc off mode also turns it off. This is the only mode I can drive the car. Comfort is out of control with throttle closures and applying the brakes.

I'm pretty sure the rev hang is an adapts thing, is there a way to stop or trick these adaptations off?
Hi YuminNuman!

I see a few threads on those codes. Looks like it’s just set using BimmerCode Expert mode? Did you set both to not active on yours?

I assume there is still a failsafe so it won’t start without clutch in? It just requires both clutch and brake depressed to start, and also 2 presses of the start button instead of just 1?

I agree with you on double clutching being unnecessary in our cars. To be clear, I am not talking about double clutching for the sake of synchro meshing. I am talking about those of us who actually use the rev matching, taking too long for our shift for one reason or another, and the rev match timer ending and the revs falling to idle. Before, we could drop it to neutral, let out the clutch, clutch in again, and it would restart the rev match. Now, once the rev match timer ends, it can’t be restarted without actually releasing the clutch in a gear first.

I can appreciate that you only drive in DSC off. There are instances though I would not want to do this (heavy rain), and my commute is almost 100 miles per day, so rev match is a nice convenience feature at times. As is having the rev match be off when I pop up to Sport+

I just found this post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1418374&page=5

It sounds like it is related to a BMW update that happened. I must have been on an earlier version of the software maybe. Then awhile later they released another update, that changed some (but not all) of the functionality back. I wonder if Bootmod3 used a later version of BMW firmware for the car than I had before I flashed it?

One of the things they mentioned was losing rev match when shifting more than 1 gear down at a time. That was what most of that thread was about. It sounds like BMW eventually brought that back. I need to test and see if I’ve lost that as well

Is there no way to have it rev match in sport but not sport+ like it used to that you are aware of? I do like it for commute cruising
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Fyi, I did just test and I do have rev match still when dropping multiple gears at a time. So I guess the rev match from neutral and rev match off in sport+ were something that were in the original firmware, but removed by bmw later and thus not in bootmod3 either. Bummer
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #12
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Double clutching also disables rev match if it's stock programming
Mine rev matched when double clutching when it was stock. BMW changes firmware/software/coding all the time through. That was one of the things I instantly noticed when I first tuned back in 2019.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #13
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I have the rev match disabled (as all of you should .. really) and I have terrible rev hang with bm3. It's like it tries to keep it in boost, flat foot shifting almost. It goes away with reset adapts, which is why I still haven't gotten it logged. It's the worst thing about the car.
Eh, call me a poser, but I like the feature. It should be a simple button switch though for those that don't like it, ie GM and Porsche. I'm not a heel toe God, and I rev match myself every so often, but I thoroughly enjoy the auto blips to the perfect RPM.

It also smooths out the upshifts too by keeping the RPMs up for just half a second or second. All kinds of wizardry going on lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2022, 05:27 PM   #14
CoolATIGuy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine rev matched when double clutching when it was stock. BMW changes firmware/software/coding all the time through. That was one of the things I instantly noticed when I first tuned back in 2019.
Ah, bummer. I guess I just lucked out in that mine hadn't been updated until like a week ago when I put BM3 on it. lol. I didn't realize that wasn't the way it still works on the newer updates

I wonder what else has been updated if I was still on years old firmware..

Thanks for clarifying G.Newt! I guess I'll just have to change my shift habits now that I've gotten used to it the way it was
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 08:18 PM   #15
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't know what bimmercode is, I used e-sys to do the FDL coding. When I start the car I have to have both feet down or it'll throw weird codes. Both feet and hold the button. Sucks, but trivial compared to something else trying to blip..

I probably should flash the whole car. I updated it once with ista/p but flashed back to the factory I step, as he the newer version killed the ability to code the # of turn signal blinks. But I know that they've messed with this in newer versions. Try on latest version and report back ..sounds fair. I'll have to find the newest files
Appreciate 0