F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Belsee Aftermarket Digital Display
proTUNING Freaks

08-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #23
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusruss View Post
Maybe I don't really know the inner workings, but what would actually be transmitted from the digital cluster to the HUD? Doesn't the HUD get all signalling from the head unit?

Now, I can see it failing to receive BMW Navi directions in the center portion of the cluster (doesn't that need to be coded anyways?), but if I end up using Waze / Google Maps on the 8.8 screen anyways, with my upcoming MMI Prime retrofit, instead of BMW Navi, then it doesn't seem like like much functionality is lost with this unit. BMW Navi should still send signal to the HUD. From the videos I have seen, it tracks oil temperature, tire pressure, doors being open / shut, and a host of other things.Sure, odometer has to be set manually, but as long as ECU is tracking mileage properly, one can always go to an OEM cluster and all is right with the world.

Wouldn't any error codes still be displayed on the 8.8 screen?

Either way, I will do an English walk through video of my impressions when I install it, and a month or two after. We really need a good English review or two of these units on YouTube anyways, because it has been quite hard to find good videos on all the little stuff like that. I'll take one for the team, just to get it out there.

Falling back to a 6WB cluster from that German dealer won't be that much more expensive than just going with a bimmer-tech cluster. I kind of like the look of this cluster better, despite one minor misspelling I spotted in one of the menus, and a small range of vehicle models to display in the center portion of the console.
The HUD is directly connected to the gauge cluster, so my assumption is simply this gauge cluster doesn't have a port for the HUD. As far as where the information comes from, I'm sure it's all interconnected between headunit, gauge cluster, to HUD.

Is there a way to update the firmware on this cluster? I know the ID4 Motion clusters have a little external USB port to receive future updates with new themes, updates, bug fixes.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #24
shortbusruss
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
The HUD is directly connected to the gauge cluster, so my assumption is simply this gauge cluster doesn't have a port for the HUD. As far as where the information comes from, I'm sure it's all interconnected between headunit, gauge cluster, to HUD.

Is there a way to update the firmware on this cluster? I know the ID4 Motion clusters have a little external USB port to receive future updates with new themes, updates, bug fixes.
Hmmm.. Well, mebbe 6WB from the German dealer it is... I initiated a cancellation on the Chinese digital cluster, and once (if) it goes through, I will go the OEM route. Thanks for the clarification!

This cluster seems like it might work for someone without HUD though, so if they refuse the cancellation, maybe I will try to sell it locally.

Is the expectation that if I installed this, it would throw tamper codes, as it cannot be programmed to be accepted by the ECU / head unit / HUD? It did not look like it was doing so in the videos I checked out.

Maybe the install I saw was on a non-HUD BMW, as it looked to be only two cables that were connected. I assumed one cable was power, one to the head unit. Are you saying a HUD-capable 6WB has another cable going to the HUD? A third cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #25
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.. Well, mebbe 6WB from the German dealer it is... I initiated a cancellation on the Chinese digital cluster, and once (if) it goes through, I will go the OEM route. Thanks for the clarification!

This cluster seems like it might work for someone without HUD though, so if they refuse the cancellation, maybe I will try to sell it locally.

Is the expectation that if I installed this, it would throw tamper codes, as it cannot be programmed to be accepted by the ECU / head unit / HUD? It did not look like it was doing so in the videos I checked out.

Maybe the install I saw was on a non-HUD BMW, as it looked to be only two cables that were connected. I assumed one cable was power, one to the head unit. Are you saying a HUD-capable 6WB has another cable going to the HUD? A third cable?
That's my understanding, I have a HUD car and I had 3 cables, but with a non-HUD 6WB, it looks like there's only 2 ports.

Images below of them:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 02:18 PM   #26
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
You're welcome It's a BMW dealership, everything brand new. Bought there lot of stuff (including my 6WB), without VAT, never ever any issue.
So who did your coding for the 6WB, or did you do it yourself?

I have an 2020 F32 with ID6, and have absolutely no clue how to go about it.

Is coding needed if I buy the 6WB new? The posts I have read say yes. Bimmertech coding @ $300 seems a little expensive, but if that is my only route...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 02:25 PM   #27
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Is coding needed if I buy the 6WB new? The posts I have read say yes. Bimmertech coding @ $300 seems a little expensive, but if that is my only route...
forget bimmertech, support our bimmerpost forum sponsors who do coding.

i went with steve@codemybimmer (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=87926) . i believe it was about $100 for the coding session, and i'd go to him for all future coding work as well, very easy and very helpful.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2022, 05:50 PM   #28
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Quote:

Yes, indeed the coding is required. As I didn't want to spend time on studying this one, went to local garage to do the job. As the unit comes brand new, the coding took the guy just a few moments; paid €50.

Regarding MwSt, for me the only required is having own VAT ID. Don't know how it works within Germany, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2022, 04:58 PM   #29
shortbusruss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
forget bimmertech, support our bimmerpost forum sponsors who do coding.

i went with steve@codemybimmer (https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=87926) . i believe it was about $100 for the coding session, and i'd go to him for all future coding work as well, very easy and very helpful.
I emailed Steve, and he has responded. Still awaiting delivery of the vehicle from dealer. Current vehicle, a 2011 Tiguan with ~130,000 miles, gave trouble today at the registration building, throwing multiple engine codes when I left it running with the A/C on, and temperature gauge shot up to ~240 degrees. Once cooled off, it drove home fine, so might indicate one of the cooling fans is failing.

Really need to get the new car home, simply for insurance. :-(
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 05:40 AM   #30
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

I'm actually waiting for an English-speaking review on this particular product. The only in depth review is in Thai speaking...everything else seems to be to be less than 1min long, with no actual speaking.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #31
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrcrash View Post
I'm actually waiting for an English-speaking review on this particular product. The only in depth review is in Thai speaking...everything else seems to be to be less than 1min long, with no actual speaking.
link the thai video please
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 03:57 PM   #32
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
link the thai video please
Unfortunately the video isn't coming from me...I too am on the fence about it...Emailed a few sellers about this thing but I mainly received responses from non English speaking individuals. Somewhat easy to tell they were non English speaking people, because they used English incorrectly at times. If I don't see one in a month or two, I will bite the bullet and purchase one for myself, and post my own, and link it here.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #33
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Unfortunately the video isn't coming from me...I too am on the fence about it...Emailed a few sellers about this thing but I mainly received responses from non English speaking individuals. Somewhat easy to tell they were non English speaking people, because they used English incorrectly at times. If I don't see one in a month or two, I will bite the bullet and purchase one for myself, and post my own, and link it here.
Can you please post the Thai video. My wife is Thai.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:30 PM   #34
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
https://youtu.be/eFou9EVb2-w

This is it, however it might be in Korean...Just saying, I will post the Thai one soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #35
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

This is it, however it might be in Korean...Just saying, I will post the Thai one soon.
Quote:
https://youtu.be/2RGMr1qS4fo

This is the other one, that's seems to be depth, but I am unable to understand.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #36
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Just looked, might have re-posted the same clip...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #37
shortbusruss
Rep

So, just for an update, I'd end up cancelling the AliExpress purchase and went with a local OEM 6WB display from a dealer in Germany,and got a dudefrom Taiwan to code it for me. Added a rear view camera and Android Auto with a Bimmertech kit,and everything is working great!

Was a slight delay as my car had an older,deprecated trunk handle, but Bimmertech sent the updated part and it worked as soon as I plugged it in..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 11:14 AM   #38
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:

this one is in chinese, possibly in malaysia due to RHD, TW and CN is LHD like in USA

Quote:

this one is in malay, possibly in KL since the description said Kuala Lumpur

both link is just an overall review, not review in depth, only go through the settings, the first one even said that there is no F30 only F10, X5, X6, so possibly future software update may resolve this.

Last edited by dangerus_car; 09-11-2022 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:04 PM   #39
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok, took a bullet for the team, and actually purchased the digital cluster, just received it and I am currently evaluating it...Some issues, some will probably be addressed with a slight software upgrade, others, will not because fixing it would require a specific module be added to the device, IF, and it's a big IF, this module is commercially obtainable, which it probably isn't. So I am not going to hold my breath for a fix.

Pros: looks great, sort of like driving a newer vehicle. Quality of the device, excellent, at first glance looks OEM...but if you look further, the differences are obvious. Not enough to not purchase for yourself, but seriously anal people will complain about the colors or fonts or worse... Was well packed and arrived without incident. Matches well with the OEM iDrive unit, and since I currently have an MMI device, looks good with Android Auto. There are several cons, however most of them will should be addressed by software updates, depending on just how long device is supported. I know, the "cons" list is long, but I don't want to discourage you from purchasing. However, I cannot, in good conscious, NOT tell you about the cons...

Cons: You have to set your own mileage, personally I am honest, and would never "loose" miles, but you know there are scams on the marketplace that are even worse. Imperial miles need to be adjusted, there are currently counted every 1.2 miles, up or down, don't know which, that will probably be addressed with a software update. You WILL lose access to the OEM conditional based service reminder system, but in defense your service will be reminded by the cluster but you have to set all service reminders. If you have a hard code on your car, you will be reminded of it by the cluster, you need to retain your original cluster to be able to have your mechanic remove it, or yourself if able. Even though you are able to "add" different things to your cluster, like adaptive cruise, and others, DON'T. No seriously, don't if your car wasn't originally equipped with it. It is not like coding stuff that wasn't equipped, if the module was not equipped, cluster will look for it, not find it, and throw a code. You need to restart engine, and turn off the option that you turned on to clear the code. Tire pressure sensor, within cluster, isn't functioning properly, but is still functioning within the OEM iDrive. However, resetting it, has its issues, On your cluster you will have get a code, until tire system resets. For all the people who drive in Eco Pro mode, cluster does NOT recalculate miles to empty, you are stuck with whatever miles to empty from your original fill up, even though the fuel shows the decreased consumption. There is currently no way to change the image of the car, that shows on your dash, it will be either an M5, an X5 or an X4. There are a couple more, that I will eventually post, just can't remember them now.

In conclusion, some of the apparent issues should be able to be addressed by software updates, but some, can't because you are removing a module, Even the digital clusters for the E90's and lower models, have this issue. if you do your own service, that is a non issue.

If you like look, and you don't have any codes, you are able to track your own maintenance and you don't make it a habit of always driving in ECON mode YES, it is a buy. I will post the pictures soon...
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #40
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Images and a couple of movies
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 05:19 PM   #41
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Movies didn't post properly, so just use you imagination, keep in mind, most of screens have some sort of animation.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:39 PM   #42
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh yeah, if you use Eco Pro mode, your gas Guage will be off because it doesn't calculate the savings....your idrive should be correct though...need to test a full tank to be sure.

Forget my last statement, technically the miles to empty would be slightly off, because it doesn't calculate the savings, however the idrive is NOT correct either, the gas gage, and Iles to empty just goes down slower in ECON mode...so it technically works...just fill up when you get to the red and the alarm goes off...remember to follow the directions of the seller concerning your. Car about initial values that might have to be entered if you decide to proceed...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 07:43 PM   #43
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Better pictures, Carlink MMI device showing Android Auto.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Saito1.50
      10-04-2022, 03:47 PM   #44
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

nice man thanks for being the test rabbit. Minus the "Stratup" misspelling are there a lot of other misspellings on this unit? I wish the f30 or f32 car animation was available for this unit. But other than those 2 concerns of mine this looks like a nice cosmetic upgrade as I pretty much only drive in sport+.

I guess I would also ask if the fuel gauge is accurate aside from when in Eco Pro mode as mentioned above? because if its not then that could be a problem with doing E-mixes