F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MHD Question
GetBMWParts

11-26-2022, 10:25 AM   #1
hellogoodbye44
Private
Rep
Drives: F36

MHD Question

I want to flash stage 1 mhd.

My question is, if I flash the mhd stage 1 can I switch back to the exact stock MPPSK map Im running currently or will it update it to the most recent MPPSK map?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

MHD does not save your stock file, so if you flash back to stock it will generate the stock file. I don't have mppsk so your experience may vary.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #3
hellogoodbye44
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
MHD does not save your stock file, so if you flash back to stock it will generate the stock file. I don't have mppsk so your experience may vary.
Is there a way for me to flash stage 1 and switch back to the my current stock map on the fly? Or will it delete my current stock map and switch between Mhd generic stock map and Mhd stage1?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
You sure about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellogoodbye44 View Post
Is there a way for me to flash stage 1 and switch back to the my current stock map on the fly? Or will it delete my current stock map and switch between Mhd generic stock map and Mhd stage1?
Email MHD support and ask them. I have heard, for N55 at least, that is saves your current tune file when you first install MHD. In order for that to not be true, MHD would have to have a repository of stock tune files based on VIN number and would need to generate a stock file whenever someone flashed back to stock. So just confirm directly with them.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Your stock tune is not touched by MHD. If you decide to revert back to it, you can do that by simply removing MHD. You cannot however switch "on the fly". You either use MHD with one of their OTS maps / a custom map or you use your stock tune. Can't have your cake and eat it too This part is valid for any tuning platform, not just MHD.
      11-29-2022, 10:38 AM   #6
Samuaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Your stock tune is not touched by MHD. If you decide to revert back to it, you can do that by simply removing MHD. You cannot however switch "on the fly". You either use MHD with one of their OTS maps / a custom map or you use your stock tune. Can't have your cake and eat it too This part is valid for any tuning platform, not just MHD.
The same for BM3 too,
I did email BM3 to see if that is an option on the multimap (where slot 1-3 is the tune and slot 4 is the stock tune- they currently have their rendition of the MPPSK tune on slot 4, which isn't the same in terms of burbles if that's your thing)

I did email them to ask if that is in the pipeline- where the stock tune is going be apart of the multimap option- but they said they are working on it with no ETA.

You can always flash it back to stock, but that takes 5 minutes and not really ideal (plus also i am not sure if there even is a max flash limit on the DME)

Last edited by Samuaw; 11-29-2022 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

No max flash limit. That's not a concern.
      11-30-2022, 11:29 AM   #8
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

MHD definitely saves off a copy of your ‘stock’ DME coding when you flash with MHD. The saved data is archived in an MHD created folder on your flashing device.

Here’s what it looks like in the “MHD F+G” app folder on my iPhone.

There’s two VIN-specific files for the last Flash performed (one with the actual coding applied, and one showing all the MHD flash options you selected). Then there’s a large VIN-specific archive file of your ‘stock’ DME coding. Note this ‘stock’ archive is recreated each time you flash to MHD from stock, so if you revert back to stock it’s recreated each time you reflash to MHD again (thus it may be newer than original if your car was updated with ISTA in-between).

Additionally there’s a subfolder for all the Datalog files you’ve captured, and another subfolder with Debugging info. In the Debugging folder, there’s two interesting files - a VIN-based file containing the full history of all the DME Codes ever found/cleared using MHD since it was first installed, and another file with all your key DME software versions listed.

Obviously it’s important to make sure all these files are included in your device backups…

Some other aftermarket tuning tools don’t capture and archive your actual ’stock’ software before coding, and instead rely on downloading a looked-up ‘latest rev’ for your hardware from their servers to support flashing back to ‘stock’ (looking at you XHP).
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2022, 11:34 AM   #9
hellogoodbye44
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
MHD definitely saves off a copy of your ‘stock’ DME coding when you flash with MHD. The saved data is archived in an MHD created folder on your flashing device.

Here’s what it looks like in the “MHD F+G” app folder on my iPhone.

There’s two VIN-specific files for the last Flash performed (one with the actual coding applied, and one showing all the MHD flash options you selected). Then there’s a large VIN-specific archive file of your ‘stock’ DME coding. Note this ‘stock’ archive is recreated each time you flash to MHD from stock, so if you revert back to stock it’s recreated each time you reflash to MHD again (thus it may be newer than original if your car was updated with ISTA in-between).

Additionally there’s a subfolder for all the Datalog files you’ve captured, and another subfolder with Debugging info. In the Debugging folder, there’s two interesting files - a VIN-based file containing the full history of all the DME Codes ever found/cleared using MHD since it was first installed, and another file with all your key DME software versions listed.

Obviously it’s important to make sure all these files are included in your device backups…

Some other aftermarket tuning tools don’t capture and archive your actual ’stock’ software before coding, and instead rely on downloading a looked-up ‘latest rev’ for your hardware from their servers to support flashing back to ‘stock’ (looking at you XHP).
I currently have Mppsk and love the exhaust notes and predictability of the shifts etc.

I want to try stage 1 but not at the cost of loosing the current tune that I've become very fond of. The car is 2018 and I don't think it's been updated via ista since purchase.

Mhds sale ends today and my mind is not made up 🥲
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 09:52 AM   #10
princer
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M Sport

Hey, I’m in the same boat, currently MHD stage 1 and previous MPPSK, to be honest stage 1 is minimal gains so not worth it in my opinion.
So if I was to flash back to stock would it be the MPPSK map ?
Also does returning car back to stock (fully remove MHD) then mean the DME requires a bench unlock ?
Appreciate 0