F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New Pure Inlet Pipe
Studio RSR

03-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

New Pure Inlet Pipe

I'm looking into upgrading my inlet pipe and came across this new aluminum piece from Pure.

View post on imgur.com

Has anyone tried this yet? Is it worth the price or should I just purchase the cheaper version from Vader Solutions and DIY myself. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

I have it.. Quality is good.. Fit perfectly.. But I don't think it worth the price.. If you can get it cheaper by DIY I would suggest doing it..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane11 View Post
I have it.. Quality is good.. Fit perfectly.. But I don't think it worth the price.. If you can get it cheaper by DIY I would suggest doing it..
Gotcha. Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Pure Turbo's Air Inlet Pipe Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post
I'm looking into upgrading my inlet pipe and came across this new aluminum piece from Pure.

View post on imgur.com

Has anyone tried this yet? Is it worth the price or should I just purchase the cheaper version from Vader Solutions and DIY myself. Thanks
I researched this subject recently. Here is what I found out:

1) This is the air inlet pipe. Don't confuse it with the charge pipe or the TIC pipe. These both connect to the intercooler.

2) For this pipe, the air originates at the drivers side of an F30 N55 engine at the air filter/intake box. A plastic tube brings the air across the top area of the radiator where it connects to the Air Inlet Pipe. The other end goes down until it connects to the turbocharger's air inlet port.

3) The "choke point" of this pipe is where it connects to the turbo. The inside diameter tapers down to a diameter of only 1.875" (47mm).

4) Pure Turbos upgrade pipe has an inside diameter of 2.25" (56mm) at the turbo end. This doesn't sound like much but if you do the math it is a 42% increase in potential air flow into the turbo.

5) Be wary of cheap replacement pipes. Some of them appear to be better because they are aluminum instead of the stock plastic pipe. But often they are just duplicates of the stock pipe so they also have a smaller opening into the turbo.

6) Pure Turbos originally developed a new pipe end designed to install by cutting the stock plastic pipe and using a sleeve to connect the stock plastic pipe with the aluminum Pure Turbos larger turbo inlet. I've been told that it is a lot of labor to replace the turbo inlet pipe since there is a lot of stuff in the way. I'm betting that the upgraded two-piece pipe is easier to install than a one-piece pipe. See the attached photo for the new upgraded end of the two-piece pipe.

7) The stock plastic turbo inlet pipe is sized for the stock turbocharger. So installing an upgraded inlet doesn't really provide more air/power to the engine unless the turbocharger is upgraded to a unit that can handle more air flow.

8) Stock turbocharger maxes out at roughly 400HP and about 20psi-22psi of boost. To go over that (Stage3), requires a large expensive upgrade of many items including:

a) Pure Turbos higher capacity turbocharger
b) Pure Turbos modified turbo air inlet pipe
c) TMAP/MAP higher capacity sensor installed in the charge pipe to allow/monitor higher than roughly 20psi boost pressure into the intake manifold. This is actually a different BMW OEM sensor from a different BMW engine. (ECS may sell it.)
d) Higher pressure/flow fuel pump installed in the fuel tank.
e) NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped to 0.018"
f) New tune to take advantage of higher capacity turbo such as a BootMod3 Stage3 tune

Bottom line is that the modified air inlet pipe to the turbo isn't worth the expense or difficulty to install unless the turbocharger is being upgraded at the same time.

I like to write this stuff out in detail before I forget it all. Hope it helps someone!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
kreuz44.00
dr.roro195.50
MAKH 588.50
boo5t3d10.00
      03-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #5
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralF30 View Post

View post on imgur.com

I researched this subject recently. Here is what I found out:

1) This is the air inlet pipe. Don't confuse it with the charge pipe or the TIC pipe. These both connect to the intercooler.

2) For this pipe, the air originates at the drivers side of an F30 N55 engine at the air filter/intake box. A plastic tube brings the air across the top area of the radiator where it connects to the Air Inlet Pipe. The other end goes down until it connects to the turbocharger's air inlet port.

3) The "choke point" of this pipe is where it connects to the turbo. The inside diameter tapers down to a diameter of only 1.875" (47mm).

4) Pure Turbos upgrade pipe has an inside diameter of 2.25" (56mm) at the turbo end. This doesn't sound like much but if you do the math it is a 42% increase in potential air flow into the turbo.

5) Be wary of cheap replacement pipes. Some of them appear to be better because they are aluminum instead of the stock plastic pipe. But often they are just duplicates of the stock pipe so they also have a smaller opening into the turbo.

6) Pure Turbos originally developed a new pipe end designed to install by cutting the stock plastic pipe and using a sleeve to connect the stock plastic pipe with the aluminum Pure Turbos larger turbo inlet. I've been told that it is a lot of labor to replace the turbo inlet pipe since there is a lot of stuff in the way. I'm betting that the upgraded two-piece pipe is easier to install than a one-piece pipe. See the attached photo for the new upgraded end of the two-piece pipe.

7) The stock plastic turbo inlet pipe is sized for the stock turbocharger. So installing an upgraded inlet doesn't really provide more air/power to the engine unless the turbocharger is upgraded to a unit that can handle more air flow.

8) Stock turbocharger maxes out at roughly 400HP and about 20psi-22psi of boost. To go over that (Stage3), requires a large expensive upgrade of many items including:

a) Pure Turbos higher capacity turbocharger
b) Pure Turbos modified turbo air inlet pipe
c) TMAP/MAP higher capacity sensor installed in the charge pipe to allow/monitor higher than roughly 20psi boost pressure into the intake manifold. This is actually a different BMW OEM sensor from a different BMW engine. (ECS may sell it.)
d) Higher pressure/flow fuel pump installed in the fuel tank.
e) NGK 97506 spark plugs gapped to 0.018"
f) New tune to take advantage of higher capacity turbo such as a BootMod3 Stage3 tune

Bottom line is that the modified air inlet pipe to the turbo isn't worth the expense or difficulty to install unless the turbocharger is being upgraded at the same time.

I like to write this stuff out in detail before I forget it all. Hope it helps someone!
Thanks for the detailed write up! Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:51 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, the pipe shown in Option 1 pic is their original design

You could buy this end by itself & then DIY cut your stock plastic piece that would then attach to this end with clamp

They also used to sell the end shown already attached with the cut plastic pipe (done at their shop) for more $$ - so no need for you to DIY the cut

The version shown in OP is their new version that replaces the old pipe+cut plastic factory piece & affords a 1-pc entire aluminum part

Actually much nicer than the old 2-pc alum/plastic version
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Quote:
Actually, the pipe shown in Option 1 pic is their original design

You could buy this end by itself & then DIY cut your stock plastic piece that would then attach to this end with clamp

They also used to sell the end shown already attached with the cut plastic pipe (done at their shop) for more $$ - so no need for you to DIY the cut

The version shown in OP is their new version that replaces the old pipe+cut plastic factory piece & affords a 1-pc entire aluminum part

Actually much nicer than the old 2-pc alum/plastic version
I've been debating getting it just to have everything ready, but I don't know if it's worth $300. I'd rather have the single pipe vs the two piece kit although.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

I got the two piece at first when I did the ps2 then I bought the one piece from pure eu
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
Jpup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
I got the two piece at first when I did the ps2 then I bought the one piece from pure eu
I've noticed its only available from the EU store. Did you have to pay an increased amount for shipping to the US?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Pure inlet gave me an additional 2lbs/min through the MAF. I just cut the stock pipe and added that aluminum piece. It was worth it for me being at 3,200 ft to lessen the load on the turbo a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Did you install the two-piece pipe and then the one-piece pipe yourself? I'm very curious if the two-piece is easier to install- all things being equal?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Can someone explain what the difference is between this and the air intake itself?

The turbo only has one input for air correct? and the the output is the turbo to intercooler pipe that takes the compressed air out of the turbo...

Thank you in advance, still learning

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #13
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Pay like $30 shipping.. Take 3 day to the US by dhl
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Did you install the two-piece pipe and then the one-piece pipe yourself? I'm very curious if the two-piece is easier to install- all things being equal?
Yea install the 2 piece.. Then install the 1 piece after.. Was pretty easy since no is no bolt on the bottom with the 2 piece... Took 10 min to install the 1 piece from up top?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
Can someone explain what the difference is between this and the air intake itself?

The turbo only has one input for air correct? and the the output is the turbo to intercooler pipe that takes the compressed air out of the turbo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post

No problem. It can be confusing. Engine air intake flow goes like this:
Air Intake box (on drivers side of car)
Air Filter- inside box
Plastic tube leaving air intake box that goes across near top of radiator and downward
Air intake tube (upgrade this post has been discussing)
Turbocharger intake port
Turbocharger exit port
(air is now compressed or boosted. More oxygen = more power)
TIC pipe
Inlet of Intercooler
Outlet of Intercooler
(Boosted air has now been cooled which makes it denser so more oxygen = more power)
Charge Pipe
Intake manifold- on its way to combustion chamber
(The Oxygen in the boosted & cooled air is measured and the fuel system then adds the correct amount of fuel to go with it.)
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 2
DVC558.00
      03-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #16
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Excellent explanation, thanks for sharing.

So my $230 intake was only half of the journey, this pipe is the second half into the turbo.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, you are correct. But it is unnecessary to upgrade that intake air pipe into the turbo unless/until you upgrade the turbocharger. BMW knows what they are doing. All of these pipes are designed to handle the intended flow of the engine. The Charge Pipe needs to be upgraded (which you did) because it is a poor design that often breaks right at the 90 degree turn into the throttle body/intake manifold.

There are also many different replacements for the intake and/or intake box. You do gain some larger air flow from an intake change but often the big reason for the intake upgrade is the sound/noise that some of them generate which many people like.

Ignoring the sound for a minute and just focusing on performance, with the you can actually get that performance gain of an upgraded intake very inexpensively. There is a previous thread that goes into this subject in detail with photos. Basically you can either buy the bottom piece of BMW's M Sport Intake for about $200, or you can simply cut or drill holes in your stock plastic intake box in the same location as BMW does with their upgraded part. Then change out the stock air filter for an aFe Pro Dry filter which flows much better. It's a lifetime cleanable/reusable filter for about $85. (Never use an oiled filter which will gunk up the expensive sensors in your intake airway and cause strange symptoms that could be expensive to troubleshoot.)

There are lots of big intake boxes and big air filters that make a lot of noise, but remember when you look at them that they aren't really creating some huge air pipe into the engine because no matter what is placed at that location it all goes down into the stock BMW air pipe at the turbocharger intake which measures just 1.875" in diameter. Upgrading that turbo intake pipe doesn't matter either because that small tube is giving the stock turbo all the air that it needs to run up to its maximum to put out about 400HP.

That's why this forum is so great to share information and experiences. You can get deep into the technical stuff if you want, or just install a loud exhaust, step on the gas and smile!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #18
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...ipe-intel-pipe

if y'allz want to save some $$. ftp motorsport has a replacement that's more affordable
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 09:58 PM   #19
insane11
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

if y'allz want to save some $$. ftp motorsport has a replacement that's more affordable
Ftp pipe has the same diameter as the oem pipe. Pure is diameter is bit bigger..

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1499446
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #20
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Ftp pipe has the same diameter as the oem pipe. Pure is diameter is bit bigger..

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1499446
ahh...thx for the info
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #21
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

The diameter of the stock pipe isn't the issue, it's where it swages down to the old PWG turbo inlet size. I recently threw out the piece cut off of mine or I would post a pic of how dramatically it reduces.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 04:21 AM   #22
MineralF30
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post

Interesting. Might have to check them out!
Appreciate 0