F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
GetBMWParts

09-06-2021, 01:55 AM   #1
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Test drive a Tesla….

Absolutely loved it.

The whole experience, Chester (service not sales centre) were amazing. Very casual non sales approach, hasn't booked just test drive on the day with Driving license.

Only cars at the moment are the Model 3. I entered the showroom cars cabin with some trepidation following comments here and elsewhere.

Errrm it's fantastic.

It's so different it's amazing. No dash! No leather! Everything has a reason. No dust collecting areas. Quality for me was perfectly acceptable and the test car had no rattles or squeaks.

The space on offer with the 3 was more than adequate. I actually went in to enquire about the Y to replace the X2 at some point.

Out on the road. The performance was astounding off the line (if to proceed along Range would be the choice) the car we drove was a performance. Within about 10 minutes I was 1 Pedal driving with pretty accurate stops where I was intending.

The tech was of course astounding, the screen showing pedestrian, trucks, cars, traffic lights etc etc in real-time spatial awareness was truly impressive.

Fair bit o think over now. The S and X are totally out of the equation due to lease costs. I was quite surprised the Model 3 seems to have come down somewhat from when I maybe first ran some quotes at launch etc.

They're not for everyone for sure but as I enjoy driving less and less each passing year due to EU regs and the attack on the motorist …. it seems to be the logical next step.

Main concern right now is the opening up of the Tesla network to Joe Public but it really won't be very often at all I'm out charging.
D69GMB463.00
rokut399.50
Grant_72020.50
mcoops1757.00
RobUK2812.00
      09-06-2021, 02:01 AM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Absolutely loved it.

The whole experience, Chester (service not sales centre) were amazing. Very casual non sales approach, hasn't booked just test drive on the day with Driving license.

Only cars at the moment are the Model 3. I entered the showroom cars cabin with some trepidation following comments here and elsewhere.

Errrm it's fantastic.

It's so different it's amazing. No dash! No leather! Everything has a reason. No dust collecting areas. Quality for me was perfectly acceptable and the test car had no rattles or squeaks.

The space on offer with the 3 was more than adequate. I actually went in to enquire about the Y to replace the X2 at some point.

Out on the road. The performance was astounding off the line (if to proceed along Range would be the choice) the car we drove was a performance. Within about 10 minutes I was 1 Pedal driving with pretty accurate stops where I was intending.

The tech was of course astounding, the screen showing pedestrian, trucks, cars, traffic lights etc etc in real-time spatial awareness was truly impressive.

Fair bit o think over now. The S and X are totally out of the equation due to lease costs. I was quite surprised the Model 3 seems to have come down somewhat from when I maybe first ran some quotes at launch etc.

They're not for everyone for sure but as I enjoy driving less and less each passing year due to EU regs and the attack on the motorist …. it seems to be the logical next step.

Main concern right now is the opening up of the Tesla network to Joe Public but it really won't be very often at all I'm out charging.
Good write up, thanks Chris. Saloons dont do it for me due to the dog so watching the model y info and launch date also.....
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #3
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

My neighbour has just bought a model 3 in white with grey/black wheels. I honestly think it looks terrible, plain non descript, looks like a domestic appliance. I understand the technology but my god 50k for that!. Don’t get me started on the stupid noise it makes when reversing woooooooooooh ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:24 AM   #4
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

What did they say about the Y? Still interested in that to replace the 5 touring if it's out in time...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 02:31 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
What did they say about the Y? Still interested in that to replace the 5 touring if it's out in time...
They advised April at the earliest for the Y.
      09-06-2021, 03:02 AM   #6
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D69GMB View Post
My neighbour has just bought a model 3 in white with grey/black wheels. I honestly think it looks terrible, plain non descript, looks like a domestic appliance. I understand the technology but my god 50k for that!. Don’t get me started on the stupid noise it makes when reversing woooooooooooh ridiculous.
I parked beside one yesterday and thought pretty much the same - white with the black wheels that look like something that has fallen off a tumble drier, door handles were also black (!?!) and thought it looked plain nasty. Looked like complete base spec.

Then later in the day came across one in dark grey metallic with the upcharge wheels - kinda cyclone type design - , red callipers, tinted windows and thought it looked quite smart. Not going to say I 'liked' it and there's plenty I'd pick before one even in that guise.

Do agree though - the white one did look like an appliance and the grey one looked fairly decent. Clearly picking the correct spec. (paying for the correct spec.!) is important.

Do have to say that I've never driven a Tesla but based on what Chris and others have said you do seem to either love or hate. Logic seems to apply to both the looks and the driving!

Last edited by AyrshireColin; 09-06-2021 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
D69GMB463.00
      09-06-2021, 03:15 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Good review Chris. I was impressed with several aspects of the X many years back and I'd definitely be considering a 3 if I was looking at a 3-series size car.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 03:46 AM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
the screen showing pedestrian, trucks, cars, traffic lights etc etc in real-time spatial awareness was truly impressive.
This is the biggest USP of Tesla, far more so than the Tesla Supercharging network.

There is loads of stuff written about 'Full Self Driving', but interms of whats deliverable Tesla is leagues ahead of what the likes of BMW are doing.

The latest FSD Beta code stack pushed out to about 2000 'testers' in the US is nothing short of remarkable. Even more so is the fact this software can/will run on my car that was made in 2017!!

The amount of $$$$$$ Tesla is pumping into supercomputing hardware and code to try and deliver on autonomy is mind boggling, am pretty sure Tesla is spending more on FSD development than car development. Once in operation their Dojo supercomputer will be the most powerful on the planet with the ability to scale/add even more processing power as required, and intheroy offer the best chance of 'solving' autonomy. The software code stack thats produced will be pushed to every car Tesla has made since late 2016. No other manufacture has ever done or even tried to do something similar.

Personally I don't view Tesla as a car company, they are a tech company who happens to make cars. Hence the radically different approach to interior design and adoption of screens for user input/display versus dedicated controls with only one function.

But as with all tech companies their failure rate to deliver on timelines/schedules and even products will be much higher than what most car manufactures are use to.

If you are after a 'traditional' car buying/owning experience than I wouldn't go near Tesla, but for a totally different approach its about as radical as it gets interms of car ownership.

Appreciate 3
      09-06-2021, 04:26 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Interesting write-up Chris, especially from someone who can compare across their extensive (ahem) ownership experience.

How much of your impressions were formed from "wow, this is the future" (say, when the iPhone was first launched) versus the novelty factor of the Tesla being so different to what you're used to ?

Despite the advantages of the Tesla charging network I still can't see me opting for a car with such a minimalist design. I think there are far more visually appealing makes and models available which provide a far better UI.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-06-2021, 04:43 AM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

The white Ones do look incredibly plain to my eyes and the frog face look isn’t great. Another colour and maybe a decent set of wheels could help but the lack of a hatchback on the Model 3 is a killer for me at present. The Y might tick that box but it’s looking a bit too much SUV.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      09-06-2021, 05:03 AM   #11
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Great write up, glad you enjoyed the experience.

Like you said, they are not for everyone. I just can’t get past the nondescript looks, inside and out but I haven’t driven one.

I also can’t justify the costs of buying one, when I compare it to a 3-4 year old AUC car that I can keep extending the warranty on, I would have to drive to the moon and back to justify the cost savings based on fuel alone.

We are doing a 180 mile drive from Kent to Dorset on Friday for a week away in a caravan, plus whatever driving we do while there. Most EV’s would get me there without a stop but with a toddler and dog in tow, its stressful enough going away without worrying about charging my car.

A full tank in the 330D will get us there, around and back without needing to fill up. I am happy to pay £80 for a tank to take the stress away from needing to charge up etc. Each to their own though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #12
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I think that's the problem for me at the moment I just don't like how they look. As I have said before I would love the acceleration and likely the tech as well but I want to be able to walk up to my car and get a sense of enjoyment.
At the moment that's looks of the car, the start up and driving noise and general feel.
Now obviously at somepoint I'm going to lose the noise and engine feel bit so at that point I want a car that looks good to me at the very least.

If Telsa can crack that the I think my mind may change.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2021, 06:59 AM   #13
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I agree the looks of all the Tesla models are a bit off-putting, from the front they look like a startled frog or a VW beetle, and the interiors are a bit meh. The Model S is probably the best-proportioned to my eye, the Model X is a gopping monstrosity....

The badge might put some off, but I quite like the look of the Kia EV6 - not dissimilar in proportions to the i-Pace and they're bringing out a 575bhp version next year that will rival the Taycan 4S for acceleration. Range looks decent as does charging rate, but like everything that's not a Tesla, fast chargers are thin on the ground.

Maybe one to consider when the X3 goes....

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2021, 07:07 AM   #14
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
I agree the looks of all the Tesla models are a bit off-putting, from the front they look like a startled frog or a VW beetle, and the interiors are a bit meh. The Model S is probably the best-proportioned to my eye, the Model X is a gopping monstrosity....

The badge might put some off, but I quite like the look of the Kia EV6 - not dissimilar in proportions to the i-Pace and they're bringing out a 575bhp version next year that will rival the Taycan 4S for acceleration. Range looks decent as does charging rate, but like everything that's not a Tesla, fast chargers are thin on the ground.

Maybe one to consider when the X3 goes....

I like that a lot. As I said above, I'd consider a Model 3 if in the market for a 3-series, but overall I think the EV6 is way more appealing. The design is far better.

As for badge appeal, to me a Kia is more desirable than a Tesla. Note - to me, not what some bloke on the street thinks. Kia's history, growth, record of hiring in big hitting engineers and designers, reliability etc. etc. - there is plenty to like in the brand.

It won't go down well on here, but I'd rather the EV6 than a Taycan when it comes to looks.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #15
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Kia, Toyota, hyundia are all doing very well in terms of modern design for hybrids and full electric. It just shows it can be done to make a leccy car look cool still.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #16
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Kia, Toyota, hyundia are all doing very well in terms of modern design for hybrids and full electric. It just shows it can be done to make a leccy car look cool still.
I guess that shows how subjective these things are. I can't stand the look of any of them. Maybe I'm just too old
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 07:40 AM   #17
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Another vote for the EV6 here, and I wouldnt even need the 585bhp version. 350 sounds enough, it charges quickly, it looks decent inside and out, and it has a decent range.

Bit bigger than I need and a model Y would probably be a better footprint, but both worthy of consideration....
Appreciate 2
JustChris17489.00
      09-06-2021, 08:09 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D69GMB View Post
My neighbour has just bought a model 3 in white with grey/black wheels. I honestly think it looks terrible, plain non descript, looks like a domestic appliance. I understand the technology but my god 50k for that!. Don't get me started on the stupid noise it makes when reversing woooooooooooh ridiculous.
The noise is very satisfying when behind the wheel and of course there needs to be something to avoid risking pedestrians
      09-06-2021, 08:12 AM   #19
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Like the look of the S, the X is awful and the 3 is at best very plain. Bit hypocritical on a BMW forum though as at least half the BMW range is extremely ugly as well...
Appreciate 4
JustChris17489.00
Grant_72020.50
mcoops1757.00
      09-06-2021, 08:16 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Interesting write-up Chris, especially from someone who can compare across their extensive (ahem) ownership experience.

How much of your impressions were formed from "wow, this is the future" (say, when the iPhone was first launched) versus the novelty factor of the Tesla being so different to what you're used to ?

Despite the advantages of the Tesla charging network I still can't see me opting for a car with such a minimalist design. I think there are far more visually appealing makes and models available which provide a far better UI.
Hi Ian, ye spot on that. I did remind myself there is probably a reason they give you the car for quite a short 45min test drive. Most of the drawbacks won't come up in that period.

Hands up there is some genuine 'wow' factor in there. I was just really really impressed it was all so … easy. The minimalist side of things will take a while but the fact the car has almost zero options to me now is a huge plus.

I also thought on the way into work today about how much of the daily driver routine is anywhere near fun.

Almost nothing
Out of the house into 30 zone.
I live here so drive like a gent

Into a server camera 50 zone
Zero chance of doing anything fun here

M56 to Trafford park.
Currently being updated to smart motorway and cameras

Off to the M60
Smart Mway blah blah

Arrive at work

Of course I'm picking the extreme here but it's just modern DD duty for me at least. Might as well do it in an assisted way and as cheap as possible…ish.

Let's see. Nothing ordered and for me the LR M3 would be the one. Enough space for 4xfamily all under 6ft!
      09-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #21
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing View Post
Great write up, glad you enjoyed the experience.

Like you said, they are not for everyone. I just can't get past the nondescript looks, inside and out but I haven't driven one.

I also can't justify the costs of buying one, when I compare it to a 3-4 year old AUC car that I can keep extending the warranty on, I would have to drive to the moon and back to justify the cost savings based on fuel alone.

We are doing a 180 mile drive from Kent to Dorset on Friday for a week away in a caravan, plus whatever driving we do while there. Most EV's would get me there without a stop but with a toddler and dog in tow, its stressful enough going away without worrying about charging my car.

A full tank in the 330D will get us there, around and back without needing to fill up. I am happy to pay £80 for a tank to take the stress away from needing to charge up etc. Each to their own though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The white Ones do look incredibly plain to my eyes and the frog face look isn't great. Another colour and maybe a decent set of wheels could help but the lack of a hatchback on the Model 3 is a killer for me at present. The Y might tick that box but it's looking a bit too much SUV.
A few comments on the looks and as expected. I was always the same and the same opinion of the build quality. Seeing them up close changed it all for me.

The 'stock' read free white is actually Pearl White of course and not solid Alpine White. The current cars all come with no chrome too which many might not be aware.

The rear is the main challenge for me. I can (obviously) get past that but I now think the front looks superb. Very Porsche like and in white I'd be getting a sticker plate.
      09-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Another vote for the EV6 here, and I wouldnt even need the 585bhp version. 350 sounds enough, it charges quickly, it looks decent inside and out, and it has a decent range.

Bit bigger than I need and a model Y would probably be a better footprint, but both worthy of consideration....
I love the tech of the IQ5 and EV6 but there fatal flaw is the general public and the randomness of the charging network.

If I could guarantee to NEVER EVER need it, could be possible but I just know, once, twice going through a Schmee150 experience to charge it, the car would be dead to me!