F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Test drive a Tesla….
Extreme Powerhouse

01-22-2024, 04:55 PM   #1981
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

After 90 mins on the Luton runway today my EasyJet took on Isha on the way to Amsterdam. Pleased that I slept through most of the flight and touchdown was smooth as silk. My colleague collected me in his Tesla Model 3. He mentioned next November he’ll get rid of it as the 5 year tax benefit runs out. He said he’s been wondering about Hydrogen cars. Later in the day we get close to a garage with a load of Hydrogen cars outside - Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Somethings. We called in. No sales office just parked up with QR codes in the windows. Then I spot a chap parking a Mirai in the car park - we started a chat. He said he liked it, drives exactly like an electric car with about 400km range I think he said, “1 kg of Hydrogen per 100km”. He said there’s about 12 stations in NL but he’s managing. He thought trucks will go Hydrogen as there isn’t grid capacity to charge fleets overnight. Anyway, just sharing my first real life Hydrogen car chat!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      01-22-2024, 05:06 PM   #1982
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
After 90 mins on the Luton runway today my EasyJet took on Isha on the way to Amsterdam. Pleased that I slept through most of the flight and touchdown was smooth as silk. My colleague collected me in his Tesla Model 3. He mentioned next November he’ll get rid of it as the 5 year tax benefit runs out. He said he’s been wondering about Hydrogen cars. Later in the day we get close to a garage with a load of Hydrogen cars outside - Toyota Mirai and Hyundai Somethings. We called in. No sales office just parked up with QR codes in the windows. Then I spot a chap parking a Mirai in the car park - we started a chat. He said he liked it, drives exactly like an electric car with about 400km range I think he said, “1 kg of Hydrogen per 100km”. He said there’s about 12 stations in NL but he’s managing. He thought trucks will go Hydrogen as there isn’t grid capacity to charge fleets overnight. Anyway, just sharing my first real life Hydrogen car chat!
I had a hydrogen Toyota Mirai for an Uber in Oslo. The engine was very refined, the rest of the car was just regular Toyota - a bit old fashioned and plasticky. Talking to the driver, he said it would only take half a tank of hydrogen, they weren’t able to fill it so the range was pretty limited. I think he said there was only one hydrogen filling station in Oslo, which seems a bit poor, but fine for an Oslo cab I guess.

EVs pretty much rule in Norway so not convinced that hydrogen will catch on there.

400km is about 250 miles, so there doesn’t seem to be much advantage over an EV in range if that’s the limit, but I guess you can refill quickly at least.
Appreciate 0