F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > solar panels?
GetBMWParts

12-14-2022, 02:53 AM   #23
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

Having solar and a EV on its way, it's the best decision that I think I've made in a long while. Energy prices will never go back to where they were. After any forced price hike on any commodity, when things settle prices never return. Have a look at petrol for start.
If you have a battery alongside your solar and use a tariff which is similar to the old economy 7, then you can certainly run your home on average for about £1 a day throughout the year.

My supplier charges 15p per KW overnight and that can go straight in the battery or the EV. On average in the winter our 3 bed house uses 5-6KW per day, during the summer about 1-2KW as the excess from solar will power the house. In the winter we buy in about £1 of electric and in the summer about 30p. Add on the standing charges and it works out about £1 a day
The only adjustments we make in the household, is both the dishwasher and washing machine go on either when the sun is out, or overnight at 15p KW rate.

Yes I might break even is 5 years, yes the above maybe a little man maths until we have had the system for a full year, but I'm also doing my bit help the planet.

If we all worried about when we would make our money back on everything we purchased, for a start none of us would own a car, buy a shed, buy tools, the list goes on. Some things aren't always about the money.

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 4
Nibbles857.50
G50954.50
Tengocity8567.00
      12-14-2022, 03:28 AM   #24
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
As someone that has solar PV and a battery (4kW solar, 8kWh battery), that was fitted at the end of last year, our takeaway from it :

Best months (April - August)- if you utilise sensibly, you can ensure you use the self-generated electricity for a lot of your needs - for example, schedule washing machine to run in the day, rather than it use your stored battery power in the evening - you keep the battery for what you NEED to use in the evening.
Spring / autumn - (March, September, October) still pretty decent, 50%+ of our needs from panels/battery
Winter (Nov-Feb) - 10-30% from solar

Our solar generation for this year :

Jan 105.3
Feb 158.4
Mar 413.3
Apr 525.7
May 582.1
Jun 606.5
Jul 573.8
Aug 574
Sep 336.5
Oct 242.0
Nov 127.9
Dec 40.8 (first 13 days only, probably be <100kWh for the month)
Sounds like the argument for an EV; pay a fortune up front, plan your use carefully, get yourself over any inconvenience and it will be worthless in a few years because the tech is worn out.
I don't recognise a single one of those points about an EV.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      12-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #25
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Apologies for the thread swerve.
You can look at it another way and insulate.

We have a 1967 house with the upper floor built in the roof space, it had in essence no insulation. Doing what I thought was the right thing, 100mm of high density slab Rockwool behind the plasterboard walls, 175mm of loose lay Rockwool over the exposed areas of the ground floor ceiling and circa 100mm of expanded foam in the upstairs ceilings has certainly transformed the place over the last twenty years.

However, with hindsight, I would go further and will look to do so even if the easiest way would be to re-roof to gain access to add further layers. Multifoil insulation certainly has a good specification for a relatively thin (circa 40mm) material. I'm considering cladding the upstairs in this.

The benefits of insulation are felt both in the height of Summer as well as Winter in keeping a comfortable temperature. Literally

Last edited by Techno 9000; 12-14-2022 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 10:52 AM   #26
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

I’ve got 4 large panels on my south facing new-build roof.

I’ve no idea of capacity or kW generated in the last year though. Probably need to do some research.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #27
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
I’ve got 4 large panels on my south facing new-build roof.

I’ve no idea of capacity or kW generated in the last year though. Probably need to do some research.
If it's been put in as part of the planning / regs requirements, then they're probably the lowest cheapest output panels that the builder could put in - so I'd guess at them being 250-300W per panel
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 03:50 PM   #28
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If it's been put in as part of the planning / regs requirements, then they're probably the lowest cheapest output panels that the builder could put in - so I'd guess at them being 250-300W per panel
Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2023, 07:53 PM   #29
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajactonbson View Post
I find it inspiring to see people taking action to help the planet. Your decision to install solar panels and an EV is commendable and could be a great investment in the long run, not just financially but also environmentally.I'm glad to hear that you've found a tariff that works for you and that you're able to run your home on average for about £1 a day throughout the year. That's amazing! If you're considering buying solar panels, you might want to check out options on yenex.com.It's true that some things aren't always about the money, and investing in renewable energy sources like solar panels is one way to make a positive impact on the environment.
I've had solar installed since last November and so far so good. Even jumped on the hybrid bandwagon. Needless to say the hybrid didn't last long and I've gone back to a V8. However, the solar gains will compensate the V8 :-)

I've approx 7kw system with approx 10kwh batteries. Charge the batteries over night on the cheap tarrif, house runs off the battery through day until solar kicks in. Then solar takes care of the load, charges the batteries again if required and anything else feeds back in.

You have to adjust the way/times you run things but that doesn't take long to get used to. Since installed i've saved approx £380.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 06:24 AM   #30
Pennyovert
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m7

Well, I totally get where you're coming from, mate. Electricity rates can be a real pain in the wallet. Solar panels could be a game-changer, especially in a place like Glasgow. I've also heard some good stuff about solar panels Ireland lately. They seem to be helping folks cut down on their bills, so it might be worth looking into. As for break-even time, it varies, but generally, you'll start seeing savings within a few years. Definitely worth doing some research and maybe chatting with folks who've already made the switch.

Last edited by Pennyovert; 02-14-2024 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0