F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Don't buy the S23 for photography
proTUNING Freaks

03-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #1
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Don't buy the S23 for photography

Long post warning, but saw the S23 thread and thought I would give my 2 cents on what is currently the best phone for photography.
As a photographer, I have been waiting a long time for a proper 1" camera sensor phone (bigger sensor=bigger pixels, better low-light performance, reduced noise, better dynamic range and natural bokeh).
Sony did the Xperia-1 which was interesting but camera processing not very good. Samsung still refuse to go for the larger sensor and opts for marketing hype like the 200mp sensor (low light still crap and images still oversharpened) - and it's a crazy £1400. Hats off to the relentless advertising which is certain to convince many people that it's a revolution in mobile camera tech.
This year, many phones are being released with bigger sensors, lately the Honour 5, but only the Vivo X90 Pro+ currently has the full package.
I was counting the days until its release, only to get disappointed hearing it's a China only release. More research, and I concluded it was worth it.
It's now a month after the import (took 7 days/no custom charge), and I could not be happier. Debloating the Chinese apps was easy thanks to forum at XDA and everything is incredibly fast and smooth. Origin OS is brilliant. Battery life fantastic and charges from 0-100 in about 20 minutes (Samsung still behind with it's 45W charging speed). Best fingerprint scanner on the market.
The only gripe is that my bank rejects adding the card to google wallet. Vivo has done a trial update that sorted it though (updated security settings) and a stable update is coming soon.
Anyway - the camera is good enough to incorporate in my professional work (ie, getting establishing snaps of venues, hdr scenarios etc).
I took this for fun to show how it compares to my £4k Sony camera/lens combo.

No banding on the screen behind, which is often a problem on my Sony. Result!

200% crop:

The camera has a 2x zoom (and also a slower 3.5x periscope zoom) which doesn't sound like much - but it's a very versatile lens as it has a 1.6 aperture and uses the 1" sensor. Bright, clean snaps, even in low light:

No other phone can currently touch it when it comes to night photography.
"traffic trail" feature - handheld:

Again handheld - lawn was pitch black

There are many examples of this, but the strength of the Zeiss coating and V2 chip dedicated to hdr, shows at night. It retains an incredible amount of detail in the highlights. Currently unbeatable in that area:

The wide angle lens is often a weak point on mobiles but this has plenty of detail:

Colours can be too extreme sometimes, but there is a Zeiss natural colour option which tones it down

Samsung's big selling point is the zoom. Unlike the Samsung, Vivo is using the 1" sensor (60% bigger than Samsung) and can retain almost the same amount of detail. And it performs way better at night particularly when using zoom ranges in between the native lenses.

If photography is not that important, the S23U has other advantages - somewhat better image stabilisation in video (particularly in 8k), the stylus pen, DEX and the warranty/support (maybe resell value too).

But if you are willing to take a chance with an import, the Vivo offers something really special

Last edited by winther1; 03-24-2023 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 5
Ennoch2257.00
JD64270.50
danb19791897.00
sahajesh2294.00
      03-24-2023, 04:52 PM   #2
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

How do you import one?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought the 512gb version here: https://www.giztop.com/vivo-x90-pro-plus.html
They install Google Playstore for you. As said, quick delivery and no customs.
One thing I forgot to mention, this is not a phone for those who use Android Auto and Google Timeline - 2 things that won't work. I use neither, so not an issue for me.
G50954.50
      03-25-2023, 12:54 AM   #4
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
The only gripe is that my bank rejects adding the card to google wallet.
I suspect with the way nationalism seem to be influencing IT policy, anything from a Chinese company will soon be banded in all public sector areas. The phones these days for me need to do everything from work to banking to entertainment, the camera is only one bit.

Can you install even banking apps on the phone?? I suspect anything like Company Portal is a complete no go - Even on my Samsung, I struggle with work emails at times due to the facts it's a personal device versus official work managed device.

The camera performance looks very good though, but carrying it around just for the camera is a bit pointless. Hopefully more none Chinese brands will follow with larger sensors.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 01:24 AM   #5
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Anyway - the camera is good enough to incorporate in my professional work (ie, getting establishing snaps of venues, hdr scenarios etc).
The way things are going, I suspect if you turned up at a MoD contract and told everyone you are using a hacked Chinese phone to take extra detailed pictures, you might end up having conversations with security very quickly
Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      03-25-2023, 08:28 AM   #6
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I suspect with the way nationalism seem to be influencing IT policy, anything from a Chinese company will soon be banded in all public sector areas. The phones these days for me need to do everything from work to banking to entertainment, the camera is only one bit.

Can you install even banking apps on the phone?? I suspect anything like Company Portal is a complete no go - Even on my Samsung, I struggle with work emails at times due to the facts it's a personal device versus official work managed device.

The camera performance looks very good though, but carrying it around just for the camera is a bit pointless. Hopefully more none Chinese brands will follow with larger sensors.
I use company portal and Starling Banking app - no issues at all.
Latest trial version from Vivo sorts the safety issues, so with the new update I can't fault it.
Attached Images

gangzoom1685.00
      03-25-2023, 10:50 AM   #7
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I use company portal and Starling Banking app - no issues at all.
Latest trial version from Vivo sorts the safety issues, so with the new update I can't fault it.
So you are running software on top to get over any issues? I know on Samsung phones once Knox is gone its almost useless for apps.

The camera looks good, but any Chinese branded phone/tech is really only heading in one direction in the West, cannot see many people wanting to buy/touch one not that its pretty clear the US wants all Chinese companies banned from doing buissness in the west. Even though everything in an Apple device is probably made in the same factory .
Appreciate 3
danb19791897.00
sahajesh2294.00
      03-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #8
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So you are running software on top to get over any issues? I know on Samsung phones once Knox is gone its almost useless for apps.

The camera looks good, but any Chinese branded phone/tech is really only heading in one direction in the West, cannot see many people wanting to buy/touch one not that its pretty clear the US wants all Chinese companies banned from doing buissness in the west. Even though everything in an Apple device is probably made in the same factory .
No, all software works as on a Western phone. Nothing running "on top". Vivo themselves are updating the security part to address the issue.
When Trump banned Huawei 4 years ago, people predicted the end of Chinese phones, but as you can see, this one is working just fine.
Didn't feel like going for over-hyped phones, let's see what happens
      03-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #9
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

^But Google Pay doesn't work? Or does it?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 03:25 PM   #10
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
^But Google Pay doesn't work? Or does it?
Google pay app works fine but my Starling card can't currently be added (some banks are fine).
The trial update sorted it and a stable version is released by Vivo soon.
gangzoom1685.00
      03-26-2023, 08:41 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Long post warning, but saw the S23 thread and thought I would give my 2 cents on what is currently the best phone for photography.
As a photographer, I have been waiting a long time for a proper 1" camera sensor phone (bigger sensor=bigger pixels, better low-light performance, reduced noise, better dynamic range and natural bokeh).
Sony did the Xperia-1 which was interesting but camera processing not very good. Samsung still refuse to go for the larger sensor and opts for marketing hype like the 200mp sensor (low light still crap and images still oversharpened) - and it's a crazy £1400. Hats off to the relentless advertising which is certain to convince many people that it's a revolution in mobile camera tech.
This year, many phones are being released with bigger sensors, lately the Honour 5, but only the Vivo X90 Pro+ currently has the full package.
I was counting the days until its release, only to get disappointed hearing it's a China only release. More research, and I concluded it was worth it.
It's now a month after the import (took 7 days/no custom charge), and I could not be happier. Debloating the Chinese apps was easy thanks to forum at XDA and everything is incredibly fast and smooth. Origin OS is brilliant. Battery life fantastic and charges from 0-100 in about 20 minutes (Samsung still behind with it's 45W charging speed). Best fingerprint scanner on the market.
The only gripe is that my bank rejects adding the card to google wallet. Vivo has done a trial update that sorted it though (updated security settings) and a stable update is coming soon.
Anyway - [...]
Interesting post. My "camera...wow" comment on the S23U was really in reference to camera phones I've owned.

A 1" sensor is pretty special in a phone and those photos look great. Having owned DSLRs and digi compacts from the early days, completely agree that pixel count and pixel quality are two very very different things.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
winther11819.50
      03-26-2023, 02:07 PM   #12
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Interesting post. My "camera...wow" comment on the S23U was really in reference to camera phones I've owned.

A 1" sensor is pretty special in a phone and those photos look great. Having owned DSLRs and digi compacts from the early days, completely agree that pixel count and pixel quality are two very very different things.
And the S23u is definitely one of the best all-rounders. I was close to buying it myself but ultimately went for the best photography tool
      03-26-2023, 02:20 PM   #13
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Followed the link and saw what good value it is.

Tangent - where do you store your photos with android?

I’m a long time Apple addict ( so my stuff is in iCloud and OneDrive) where the android phone has always been the sideshow, but the S23U has got me thinking about that. Something like this vivo might make a good replacement for my iPhone in the future.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 07:02 PM   #14
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Followed the link and saw what good value it is.

Tangent - where do you store your photos with android?

I’m a long time Apple addict ( so my stuff is in iCloud and OneDrive) where the android phone has always been the sideshow, but the S23U has got me thinking about that. Something like this vivo might make a good replacement for my iPhone in the future.
I don't think you will be disappointed. It's a lot of phone for the money.

Took a snap in my partner's garden tonight with the lights off. Used manual settings to show how it actually looked:

Handheld in night mode, this is what the Vivo produced:

The low noise/high detail level is a step above anything else at the moment. Her son's S22 and her own iphone 13 could not even lock focus
      01-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #15
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

So an ‘opportunity’ came up recently to try something other than Samsung phone. Took the blue pill and now have the sim in a Honor Magic 5 pro. The camera rating on it put it pretty much close to the top of the pile (just below the iPhone 15 pro max) despite coming out 12 month ago, and should easily ‘outclass’ the camera on the Fold 4 that I’ve had for the last 12 months+.

https://www.dxomark.com/honor-magic5-pro-camera-test/

Android implementation on the Honor is OK, but no where near as slick as Samsung, Google play store is supported, but I cannot get Google Pay to work properly, however the banking apps work as does Company portal so good enough for me. Battery life is very good, however its the camera setup that’s suppose to be big selling point……

In ‘auto’ mode, I have to say I’m pretty disappointed at the lack of difference between the two phones, Samsung for me have really nailed their signature temp/processing from the main lens.

In manual mode with the zoom lens, the differences do start to show, especially indoors/lower light, but its by no means leagues apart, from mid versus top table. I’ll be sticking with the Honor for a bit (at least till the S24 Ultra is announced next few week ), but I cannot complain about the ‘value’ of the phone interms of pure hardware, battery life is crazy compared to the Fold. Will give the camera setup a proper test at somepoint. I suspect it’ll require a lot more brain engagement to get the most out of the camera setup versus the Samsung.

Last edited by gangzoom; 01-04-2024 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:13 PM   #16
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I placed an order with affordable mobiles for a Samsung zfold5 on the23rd December. (£724 upfront (paid via credit card)and £28pm 100gb data o2 upgrade 24m contract).It was a cracking deal. It was advertised as 'next day delivery' but got an email that they're out of stock and they'll update when in stock and email explaining the same.
I'm not in a hurry should I just wait or is there a catch that I've missed?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:42 PM   #17
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Now that the thread has been revived; took a snap with a friend's iPhone 14 pro max at 2x zoom in near pitch black.

First pic is how it looked, vivo, iphone
Attached Images

JustChris17487.50
      01-04-2024, 03:08 PM   #18
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
My Fold 4 is currently on its way back to Samsung for repair under warranty (hopefully). The 5 has a better hinge design so should be better. Needed a 'new' phone whilst the repair was done. Was just going to get an used S23U to see things through and remembered this thread.

I picked up the Honor for less than 50% of it's list price in Feb 2023, and after a decade of Samsung phones, why not give it a go.

The x3.5 optical lens is better than that on my old S21U, night mode is pretty good, this was taken in near pitch darkness, shame cannot be said for the ultrawide, worse than what's on the Fold. The main camera is at least as good as anything I've seen on a Sumsung.

The real test is if the sim stays in the Honory once(/if the Fold is repaired.

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-04-2024, 03:14 PM   #19
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
I placed an order with affordable mobiles for a Samsung zfold5 on the23rd December. (£724 upfront (paid via credit card)and £28pm 100gb data o2 upgrade 24m contract).It was a cracking deal. It was advertised as 'next day delivery' but got an email that they're out of stock and they'll update when in stock and email explaining the same.
A word of warning on the Samsung folding phone....
I bought my daughter one about 6 months ago, thinking it would be good as am a fan of Samsung.
Six months on and it has a big black spot where the fold line is as the pixels have died. It also has a dust line right across the fold, which is behind the glass.
I am about to speak to Vodafone (who supplied it on my account) as it ain't going to last much longer.

Edit: her's is a zflip5, not a folding one. Don't know if they are as bad TBH.

Last edited by Pond; 01-04-2024 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-04-2024, 05:05 PM   #20
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
I'm needing glass now when reading text on my galaxy s21. The fold5 has a large display and ordered this thinking it would mean no glasses needed. If they don't deliver can I cancel? Anyone know if the 14 days cooling off period is after delivery or after order date?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 12:36 AM   #21
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
A word of warning on the Samsung folding phone....
I bought my daughter one about 6 months ago, thinking it would be good as am a fan of Samsung.
Sadly looking at various online forums the Flip and Fold phones do have a lot of issues with the hinge/screen. The 2 year warranty helps but these things should be lasting years. When mine comes back I will probably sell it on, it the screen has failed once it will happen again .

I do love the format though, the slab phone I'm using now feels really odd after the Fold, but a phone that doesn't break is the priority. The reliability issue is probably why Apple hasn't released one, I'll probably try a foldable again when Apple decides it's time to make one.

As for an alternative Android flagship to Samsung or Google, there really isn't much difference in camera performance these days it seems unless you pixel peep. I wanted to try a none Samsung phone, so the box is ticked. 50:50 on if I end up with a S24 U by the end of the year .
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-05-2024, 12:44 AM   #22
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
I'm needing glass now when reading text on my galaxy s21. The fold5 has a large display and ordered this thinking it would mean no glasses needed. If they don't deliver can I cancel? Anyone know if the 14 days cooling off period is after delivery or after order date?
It's from receipt, and once you have told the seller you wish to return, you have another 14 days to get it back to them.

This may differ for special order items.

I only know this law from selling cars online, same laws apply!
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13537.00
gangzoom1685.00