F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Don't buy the S23 for photography
ARMA SPEED

01-05-2024, 01:53 AM   #23
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Sadly looking at various online forums the Flip and Fold phones do have a lot of issues with the hinge/screen. The 2 year warranty helps but these things should be lasting years. When mine comes back I will probably sell it on, it the screen has failed once it will happen again .

I end up with a S24 U by the end of the year .
I may follow suit. I believe its out in end of January. If its too dear and not too different from the S23U the latter is likely significantly cheaper monthly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
It's from receipt, and once you have told the seller you wish to return, you have another 14 days to get it back to them.

This may differ for special order items.

I only know this law from selling cars online, same laws apply!
Thanks that's helpful! It's great that in the UK we have customer rights. The upfront fee was paid using credit card.
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      01-05-2024, 06:04 AM   #24
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Hopefully the S24U will finally have a large sensor for cleaner, more artifact free images.
The Vivo x100Pro got a global release by the way - looks amazing and great price
https://www.vivo.com/en/products/x100pro
gangzoom1685.00
      01-05-2024, 11:18 AM   #25
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
The Vivo x100Pro got a global release by the way - looks amazing and great price
The specs look good the Vivo will undercut the S24U by quite a bit I suspect. Samsung looks like they are going down better x5 optical + software zoom versus x10 optical. The list price of the S24U will be mad without vouchers/discounts.

I've just found the Honor comes with an IR blaster that works really well with the TV and the battery life is mad, despite me playing with the phone all day still on 50% SOC.

As long as the Google apps support is official these things do look like great value - I picked up the Honor for £500, mad price for something with this much kit. The Fold has just been picked up by DPD on the way back to Samsung, I'll see what happens with it.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 04:45 PM   #26
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well done picking the Honor - great specs and price. Very close in performance to the Vivo.
If you are not afraid to go for lesser known brands in the UK, you get so much more tech for your money
gangzoom1685.00
      01-06-2024, 03:48 AM   #27
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well done picking the Honor
This thread is to blame .

Went to pair the phone in the Lexus today which we’ve owned now for nearly 9 years, and it reminded me how many Samsung phones we’ve had paired to the car.
  • S7x2
  • S9
  • A7
  • Note 20
  • A33
  • S21U
  • Fold 4

I did think I was OK with keeping phones for while, but clearly not!!! A 24U to come after the Fold was getting to predictable, so if nothing else I know the car’s bluetooth can pair with none Samsung devices .
Appreciate 1
winther11819.50
      01-06-2024, 03:55 AM   #28
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Me and mrs dabbled in iPhone until 2013 before we went samsung because of the apple bloatware that had to be installed on the PC to sync etc and samsung was pretty much you could do what you wanted with it. No problem so far over the 2 years that we keep the contract phones. I'm reluctant to change though build quality seems to be an area that Samsung could be suspect in.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:50 AM   #29
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Great to see a thread on 'unusual' phones! The Mrs and have have been running a Mi11 Ultra for nearly the last two years and are starting to look at something new. It has a fantastic camera and was one of the best of its time, although the software was somewhat lacking. We had to run them on a custom global Rom which has now lost Google Pay support and regular patches unfortunately.

Will definitely be looking at the Vivo with interest! What are they like for staying up to date with security patches? My work is pretty strict on security patching so need something with decent long term support.
Appreciate 1
winther11819.50
      01-06-2024, 11:48 AM   #30
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Really interesting thread. It is pretty amazing how well the best phones now perform given that even a 'big' 1" sensor has less than 1/7th the surface area of a full frame sensor.
Appreciate 1
winther11819.50
      01-07-2024, 08:34 AM   #31
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
Great to see a thread on 'unusual' phones! The Mrs and have have been running a Mi11 Ultra for nearly the last two years and are starting to look at something new. It has a fantastic camera and was one of the best of its time, although the software was somewhat lacking. We had to run them on a custom global Rom which has now lost Google Pay support and regular patches unfortunately.

Will definitely be looking at the Vivo with interest! What are they like for staying up to date with security patches? My work is pretty strict on security patching so need something with decent long term support.
Security patches/updates have been great so far. Better than the sceptics predicted as they said the Chinese tend to abandon their phones quickly. Waiting for Origin OS 4 to be released. Trial users say it improves the cameras even further and brings a lot of new features.
Used the Sport mode with the native 2x zoom on new years eve. This mode uses a high shutter speed to freeze the action and compensates lack of light hitting the sensor with a high ISO - and still generates a clean image:
Attached Images

Eddamoo391.00
sahajesh2294.00
      01-08-2024, 12:31 PM   #32
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
Really interesting thread. It is pretty amazing how well the best phones now perform given that even a 'big' 1" sensor has less than 1/7th the surface area of a full frame sensor.
Yes, it's amazing. So much more progress being made than in conventional DSLR tech.
While a 1" sensor helps a lot towards a cleaner image, a lot of the impressive output still comes from clever image processing.
      01-09-2024, 11:48 AM   #33
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Interesting to see this thread again.

I supplemented the S23U with an iPhone 15 pro max in November. They get roughly similar amounts of use - quite a lot for each.

Camera wise, both good. There were occasions in Dubai at night where the S23U held side to side with the 15PM seemed to capture a scene that was closest to what my eyes were seeing.

I think the Samsung looks vastly better (both front and back), feels way better in the hand, and feels by far the slicker and more intuitive phone to use with things like the swipe to go back across all apps.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 09:05 AM   #34
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Interesting to see this thread again.

I supplemented the S23U with an iPhone 15 pro max in November. They get roughly similar amounts of use - quite a lot for each.

Camera wise, both good. There were occasions in Dubai at night where the S23U held side to side with the 15PM seemed to capture a scene that was closest to what my eyes were seeing.

I think the Samsung looks vastly better (both front and back), feels way better in the hand, and feels by far the slicker and more intuitive phone to use with things like the swipe to go back across all apps.
I never understood why Apple insists on making chunky phones. Yes, the S23U is sleek and sits well in the hand.
Another beauty and contender for the top spot in terms of image quality is the Oppo Find X7 Ultra

335dX430.00
      01-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #35
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Yes, it's amazing. So much more progress being made than in conventional DSLR tech.
While a 1" sensor helps a lot towards a cleaner image, a lot of the impressive output still comes from clever image processing.
The progress is not so much in the sensors, though, as in the processing of the data coming from them...

DSLR cameras seem to have stagnated development-wise now as the manufacturers shift focus (ahem, sorry) to mirrorless offerings (no new DSLR in the Nikon Pro range for four years now)... there is much more being developed on the mirrorless cameras...

To be honest, I would not buy a phone particularly for it's photographic capabilities as I have enough professional camera equipment to do most things I need (as I am sure you have also).. By this, I mean the photo capability of the phone is not top of my list of features I look for... I do use my phone to snap things as I go about daily life... but am not going to using it for commissions...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-11-2024, 10:50 AM   #36
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
The progress is not so much in the sensors, though, as in the processing of the data coming from them...

DSLR cameras seem to have stagnated development-wise now as the manufacturers shift focus (ahem, sorry) to mirrorless offerings (no new DSLR in the Nikon Pro range for four years now)... there is much more being developed on the mirrorless cameras...

To be honest, I would not buy a phone particularly for it's photographic capabilities as I have enough professional camera equipment to do most things I need (as I am sure you have also).. By this, I mean the photo capability of the phone is not top of my list of features I look for... I do use my phone to snap things as I go about daily life... but am not going to using it for commissions...
I agree the phones rely heavily on processing. Vivo made a big deal out of their V2 Dual chip - but combined with a 1" sensor, the phones edge a little closer to what a conventional camera can do - such a natural bokeh.

I meant to refer to mirrorless, not DSLR which is more or less abandoned by the prosumer market. Even here, I think we have reached a point where innovation has stagnated a bit. I own two Sony A9's. The new A9 III has a global shutter - good for a niche market - but they were not able to implement it without ISO capabilities taking a hit. It handles high ISO worse than the first A9.

Anyway - the Vivo is the first phone that I regularly use professionally alongside my A9 cameras. Not in an obvious way, as that will look unprofessional, but for general low light and high dynamic range scenes, it does a terrific job. It will of course never replace real cameras as there are things it can't do. But it's a great addition. And it's the best travel companion - my holiday pictures have never looked better!

Last edited by winther1; 01-12-2024 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 11:41 AM   #37
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

So Samsung has fixed my Fold 4, no questions asked, and no cost under the 2 year EU wide warranty. I have to be honest and say I cannot wait for it to come back, the sim will be going back in it as soon as I can grab the parcel out of the DPD couriers hands .

On paper the Honor is better in every metric, camera, battery life, even display!! In fact the Honor scores higher than the S23U. However I miss the folding format of the Fold, I miss the stable software on the Samsung (I have to force restart the Honor daily), and despite the massive score difference in cameras on paper, for me in reality the difference in the pictures that two phones produce is marginal. Most people I think will have a similar experience, maybe I should have tried a 12 month's old Pixel!

Ive got till Sunday to return the Honor, probably wouldnt though as I got it so cheap, and having a 'spare' phone with a 10hr battery and better camera might be handy for holidays. For daily use though I'll be sticking to Samsung, and probably future Folds despite the reliability issues/camera review website scores.

Last edited by gangzoom; 01-11-2024 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
winther11819.50
      01-11-2024, 01:13 PM   #38
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:

Id agree...
I have the galaxy s21 it's a good everyday phone. Good enough for pics of me/family etc...
I stupidly left it on the wood surface of the sauna once for 20 minutes and it overheated and overnight the battery capacity halved probably dead cells. If not for that I'd be happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 03:44 PM   #39
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

So the Fold is back, and the sim has gone back into the Samsung device. I’ve really missed the Samsung One UI versus the skin put on by Honor. Even though the specs say the screen on the Honor is better, the Fold’s screen just looks nicer. The bit I really didn’t expect I miss about the Fold versus the slab phone was the smaller folded form factor. Not massively smaller when folded up, but you notice the difference when putting it in the pocket of jeans/trousers.

A few things the Fold can do better though, battery life is poor compared to the Honor, and ofcourse the cameras on the Fold based on specs are far worse. But I wouldn’t buy any smartphone just for photography.

On the Honor anyways the lack of stability in software, clunky UI, puts the user experience too far behind Samsung for any gain in camera spec to make up, when in add in the dynamic form factor of the Fold, its game over for the Honor. I suspect most of the other Chinese market Android phone are similar, and that’s with Honor officially supporting the Play store. The only time when the sim will go back into the Honor is probably when battery life is a key priority, the camera gains really is pretty touch and go for my usage. I don’t pixel peep, nor earn a living from taking photos.

I always think its worth trying something new in life, but just be willing to accept something you make the wrong call. I’ll be sticking to Samsung branded Android devices from now on.

Last edited by gangzoom; 01-15-2024 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
KRS_SN13537.00
winther11819.50
      01-15-2024, 03:48 PM   #40
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

For you camera aficionados…

Check out the “effect” (I hope) on pic 9 🥴

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401115450648
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13537.00
      01-16-2024, 04:55 AM   #41
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree the phones rely heavily on processing. Vivo made a big deal out of their V2 Dual chip - but combined with a 1" sensor, the phones edge a little closer to what a conventional camera can do - such a natural bokeh.
They have to rely 100% on processing, though, don't they, as their designs rule out any natural bokeh in the way you'd understand it with 35mm or medium format cameras... Even crop sensors in DSLR's create some limitations...

Quote:
I meant to refer to mirrorless, not DSLR which is more or less abandoned by the prosumer market. Even here, I think we have reached a point where innovation has stagnated a bit. I own two Sony A9's. The new A9 III has a global shutter - good for a niche market - but they were not able to implement it without ISO capabilities taking a hit. It handles high ISO worse than the first A9.
DSLR's still have a use for some things, hence Nikon etc hanging on to their production of Pro models, but I accept that it is mainly Pro's who get into those needs... I use a mirrorless now and it does have limitations that if I went back to some of my older work I would rent a DSLR in some instances...

What is a limitation for DSLR's now is that the new mirrorless lenses being developed cannot be adapted to fit... so no new lenses for the DSLR...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:58 AM   #42
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They have to rely 100% on processing, though, don't they, as their designs rule out any natural bokeh in the way you'd understand it with 35mm or medium format cameras... Even crop sensors in DSLR's create some limitations...

DSLR's still have a use for some things, hence Nikon etc hanging on to their production of Pro models, but I accept that it is mainly Pro's who get into those needs... I use a mirrorless now and it does have limitations that if I went back to some of my older work I would rent a DSLR in some instances...

What is a limitation for DSLR's now is that the new mirrorless lenses being developed cannot be adapted to fit... so no new lenses for the DSLR...
Yes, the pictures would not look good without the clever processing, regardless of the sensor (an example is the expensive but flawed Sony Experia Pro-1). But a bigger sensor does help when implemented properly.
There is a degree of natural bokeh on 1" sensors that smaller sensors can't achieve (noticeable the closer you get to the subject in focus). It has also been suggested that the larger sensors make it easier for the phone to create more accurate artificial bokeh as there is a degree of natural separation between subject matter and background.

Artificial bokeh has come a long way, particularly on the Vivo. It's even doing an amazing job on the "weakest" lens in the setup, the 3.5x zoom (90mm equivalent) - perfect, gradual foreground & background blur. You can change the focal point and blur strength after snapping:

Last edited by winther1; 01-16-2024 at 06:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:52 AM   #43
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the pictures would not look good without the clever processing, regardless of the sensor (an example is the expensive but flawed Sony Experia Pro-1). But a bigger sensor does help when implemented properly.
There is a degree of natural bokeh on 1" sensors that smaller sensors can't achieve (noticeable the closer you get to the subject in focus). It has also been suggested that the larger sensors make it easier for the phone to create more accurate artificial bokeh as there is a degree of natural separation between subject matter and background.

Artificial bokeh has come a long way, particularly on the Vivo. It's even doing an amazing job on the "weakest" lens in the setup, the 3.5x zoom (90mm equivalent) - perfect, gradual foreground & background blur. You can change the focal point and blur strength after snapping:
The bokeh comes from the lens, though, right... and the biggest problem for a phone giving an optical bokeh will always the lack of distance from lens to sensor...

You can readily see in that example the AI defects/artefacts from an artificially generated look... Blurring of the edges on the tree branches... objects equidistant were some are blurred and others not...

I can see similar in the latest AI lens blur tools that Adobe are trialling in their software suites, also... None of the tools seem yet able to give you the subtlety of a natural sharpness fall off of a lens bokeh... There will always be areas where it cannot decide one way or the other and the controls don't seem able to resolve that...

It's understandable... Just what it is...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 08:10 AM   #44
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The bokeh comes from the lens, though, right... and the biggest problem for a phone giving an optical bokeh will always the lack of distance from lens to sensor...

You can readily see in that example the AI defects/artefacts from an artificially generated look... Blurring of the edges on the tree branches... objects equidistant were some are blurred and others not...

I can see similar in the latest AI lens blur tools that Adobe are trialling in their software suites, also... None of the tools seem yet able to give you the subtlety of a natural sharpness fall off of a lens bokeh... There will always be areas where it cannot decide one way or the other and the controls don't seem able to resolve that...

It's understandable... Just what it is...
Of course, it is not a match for a dedicated camera setup like my Sony A9, but I am looking at this solely from a mobile photography point of view. With these picture, you will always be able to find errors when pixel peeping.
Nobody is expecting a result that is indistinguishable from a £4K camera/Gmaster lens
I chose a fake bokeh snap with the lens most likely to fail the challenge - and it still does an admirable job