F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gasser Torque Converter on a Diesel
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Gasser Torque Converter on a Diesel

Wanted to see if anyone knows what the result would be if you were to use a torque converter from a 340i gasser on a 328d diesel. Same transmission, different torque converter. It's not actually the same but very similar. I have the 8HP45 currently, and will be swapping to a 8HP50 (which holds +50nm)

It would obviously not directly bolt right up, so it would require one of the two below options:
1) A flex disc from a B58
2) Swap the torque converter to a diesel TC/328d TC

I have gone the route of option 1 as of right now since it was cheaper, but I'm wondering if this will actually work due to the high stall of the gasser torque converter. I know it will physically. I am asking about functionality.

I've read about some guys trying a 8HP70 swap but could never get it to shift right. Most of them installed with the B58 flex disc as well. I'm sitting here wondering if it was because of the stall point of the torque converter in all those cases...

FYI - I plan to swap the mechatronics over to avoid having to clear the INS.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Diesel engines run much lower RPM than gasoline. I suspect the stall speed of this converter will be very low, and you will feel like the car wants to push while youre stopped on the brakes, or coming to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 05:22 PM   #3
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Diesel engines run much lower RPM than gasoline. I suspect the stall speed of this converter will be very low, and you will feel like the car wants to push while youre stopped on the brakes, or coming to a stop.
That’s what I assumed. I wasn’t sure how it would react with the higher stall TC. I guess I should find myself a diesel TC for 8hp50 then…

Do you know if the TC from a 8HP45 is different from the TC in a 8HP50?

After multiple posts in different forums, your the only one to reply at all or reply with any sort of helpful information. Thank you very much. I sit wondering if I would have gotten more replies if I just titled my posts “How to install BOV on a diesel” lol
Appreciate 0