F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Harry’s back in a diesel not anything leccy!
ARMA SPEED

02-11-2024, 12:24 PM   #67
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I'm a few months into 50e ownership and I'm delighted with it. Previously I've had 3 X5's, a 30d then 40d on to petrol with a 40i and now the 50e. Didn't set out to get a PHEV but BMW UK don't offer a non-M60i petrol variant.

The purchase price is mental these days (as is the insurance), I spent just shy of £100K on it which I think is horrendous. But I buy one car that does it all so it needs to be fast and fun to drive when I'm on my own but super comfortable and safe on family trips and I need to tow. I could have two cars to meet the different needs but actually the X5 does a brilliant job at being in the middle and bringing it all together in one.

Surprisingly to me the 50e is absolutely able to hold it's own in elec only mode, I'm still the fastest thing on the road and it's pretty much like having a normal EV (but it is less efficient by comparison). I tend to get 45 ish miles driven this way. Then in Hybrid you have great range and I find the torque and delivery more than adequate. In sport it is absolutely crazy but there isn't a place for people driving that way on UK roads. However, in sport it's a monster towing, hands down better than any of my previous diesel X5's. The way the elec motor feeds it's torque into the transmission to compliment the in line 6 is genius. Also you get the full benefit of 4x4 traction and even gearing when the elec motor is supporting.

I was concerned about getting a PHEV but have no complaints now I have one
What happens when you have no charge in the battery. Seems the detuned turbo six is very light on torque for a two and as half tonne car?
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2024, 12:26 PM   #68
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
F15 and G05’s. TBH hated the idea of no buttons. I get on with it perfectly fine though. Given the choice I’d have the climate and seat heating/cooling buttons back. I also think the loss of the buttons and layers and textures in the LCI doesn’t make the cabin feel special at all. The GLE is much better in this regard but overall I still prefer the X5.

Love ID 8.5, it’s moved on a long way in my opinion. Even simple things like watching YouTube on it full screen is brilliant, perfect if stuck waiting in the car for some reason… Again BMW have gone with a very simple approach compared to others, there is a lack of user customisation available which is a shame.
Surely you use voice control for things like climate function, or calling 'er indoors?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:32 PM   #69
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAbb View Post
What happens when you have no charge in the battery. Seems the detuned turbo six is very light on torque for a two and as half tonne car?
It's not so detuned now, there is been a power jump with the LCI over the 45e which helps. Also as I understand it there is a portion of the battery which is in effect blocked off from the user so even when it's showing 0% there is still a good portion of charge available to the system. And of course it's always trying to pick up charge either from regen or direct generation so while not impossible to completely run out of elec assistance it's very unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:43 PM   #70
six
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Surely you use voice control for things like climate function, or calling 'er indoors?
I hate voice control, it irritates me when it mutes audio for longer than you’d like and it’s crap if you’re on a call or have passengers…. unless it’s the party trick where you tell it to eject the passenger
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 12:49 PM   #71
six
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D69GMB View Post
That is a great write up. The spec of your car looks identical to what I have ordered.
The only part of the car I am not keen on is the lack of buttons but hopefully I will get used to this and it won’t annoy me too much. Looking forward to getting delivery but this has slipped from an estimated April to the end of May unfortunately.
You’ll get by fine without the buttons but you might end up missing them. I have a feeling we’ll see some return, much like VW are now doing.

I think that slip will mean you’ll get a ‘25 model year, apparently it’s been brought forward from the usual summer change over
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 01:09 PM   #72
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
It's not so detuned now, there is been a power jump with the LCI over the 45e which helps. Also as I understand it there is a portion of the battery which is in effect blocked off from the user so even when it's showing 0% there is still a good portion of charge available to the system. And of course it's always trying to pick up charge either from regen or direct generation so while not impossible to completely run out of elec assistance it's very unlikely.
So the answer to my question is theres a big drop in performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 01:15 PM   #73
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
So the answer to my question is theres a big drop in performance.
Isn't that common knowledge for all PHEV's?

They work for some, and not for others!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:09 PM   #74
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Isn't that common knowledge for all PHEV's?

They work for some, and not for others!
Indeed. I guess if you were charging at home and running leccy for your local journeys you have an ICE for long trips. What I dont like is the smoke and mirrors the manufacturers use, in their performance data for hybrids. Once you've used the battery charge, you're lugging around an additional 400kg deadweight, with a very modest performance on tap.
Appreciate 1
Pond1839.00
      02-11-2024, 02:14 PM   #75
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Indeed. I guess if you were charging at home and running leccy for your local journeys you have an ICE for long trips. What I dont like is the smoke and mirrors the manufacturers use, in their performance data for hybrids. Once you've used the battery charge, you're lugging around an additional 400kg deadweight, with a very modest performance on tap.
Yeah agree with most of that but it isn't the manufacturer's making up figures. All there doing is running on the WLTP cycle which isn't very realistic. It's the law makers that need to create a real world representative driving cycle.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:33 PM   #76
six
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This is only correct if you are driving in such a way as there is no regen or power added in charge mode. In normal driving even at 0% you still have assistance, certainly with the 50e system. What it will not do at 0% is run on full electric mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #77
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
That is a great write up. The spec of your car looks identical to what I have ordered.
The only part of the car I am not keen on is the lack of buttons but hopefully I will get used to this and it won’t annoy me too much. Looking forward to getting delivery but this has slipped from an estimated April to the end of May unfortunately.
If you've got a £100k on sal sac have you not also got a 100k company car for BIk - which for the new tax year on the X5 50e is 8% rising to 9% the year after - so taking the latter that will be nearly 9k BIK, or at 20% tax rate an extra £150 a month, and £300 if you are a 40% tax payer, or nearly £340 if a 45% tax payer.

That soon makes the £700 a month look slightly less good value....but still very worthwhile....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:04 PM   #78
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
If you've got a £100k on sal sac have you not also got a 100k company car for BIk - which for the new tax year on the X5 50e is 8% rising to 9% the year after - so taking the latter that will be nearly 9k BIK, or at 20% tax rate an extra £150 a month, and £300 if you are a 40% tax payer, or nearly £340 if a 45% tax payer.

That soon makes the £700 a month look slightly less good value....but still very worthwhile....
Here we go, EV justification time! BIK, salary sacrifice, offset against capital gains, offset against carbon neutral, blah blah blah.

I still find it incredible that there are 'normal' people spending £100k on a BMW.

So the cost of living crisis only affects 'other people', yes, not anyone on this forum?
Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      02-12-2024, 12:58 AM   #79
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post
Here we go, EV justification time! BIK, salary sacrifice, offset against capital gains, offset against carbon neutral, blah blah blah.

I still find it incredible that there are 'normal' people spending £100k on a BMW.

So the cost of living crisis only affects 'other people', yes, not anyone on this forum?
Well if your dumping £100k as salary sacrifice, I suspect your main worry in life is achieving the balance between tax efficiency vs avoidance rather than if you should go out of your way to get milk from Aldi because it's its 5p cheaper than buying it from the local Tesco down the road........The cheap refuel cost of the EV means I always go to Aldi .
Appreciate 2
Ennoch2257.00
Pond1839.00
      02-12-2024, 01:39 AM   #80
D69GMB
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

The quote we have been provided with has included the monthly car tax liability so what we have been quoted is what we have to pay, yes it does rise slightly over the next couple of years. Even if these figures were added it is still a very attractive deal.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18778.00
      02-12-2024, 01:52 AM   #81
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The quote we have been provided with has included the monthly car tax liability so what we have been quoted is what we have to pay, yes it does rise slightly over the next couple of years. Even if these figures were added it is still a very attractive deal.
wow, even better value!
Appreciate 1
D69GMB463.00
      02-12-2024, 01:56 AM   #82
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond View Post

No for me just wanted to understand the numbers, as salary sacrifice is something that people at work are pushing for, and I know the SIL is working up a scheme where he is and he would love an X5 50e if the costs stack up...

Who knows how the cost of living crisis is affecting people - maybe getting a salsac car is a way of saving money versus what is currently being paid, or maybe it drops your salary to qualify for other things you dont currently qualify for and gives you more money...

Who knows! For me given I have averaged less than 2% pay rise per annum in last 3 years I'd say I feel worse off.... but at the same time I'm also maxing out my pension whilst I can before a change of govt, and that probably has more impact!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:53 AM   #83
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
For me the 3.0l petrol engine didn't suit its placement in what is 2.4t SUV, I just kept on thinking it would be better with the 40d engine in it.

I missed that elastic low down grunt that the big diesels offer at step off, that smooth push up the road surfing the torque as you make effortless progress. (a trait I think suits big cars)

Masses of power and performance on offer of course but its delivery when called upon was a bit frenetic and balls out rather than the progressive shove a car with the 40d gives you. (many will prefer the former and so do I in smaller performance cars like the M3/M2 etc..)

It went through the battery charge like a hot knife through butter and once that was done you're left with a very thirsty machine I saw sub 20mpg on local runs often.

Driven in EV mode you're driving a very heavy car giving a 30-40 mile real world range (and less in cold temps I saw 10 miles wiped of the battery just chatting to a friend whilst parked up)

As a car it's lovely nothing to complain about, looks good to me with a lovely interior (missing HVAC controls notwithstanding) but I got used to that I managed to understand the latest idrive, the screen and maps are great, loads of space, practical, rides well and handles well, it's a lovely car.

It would have just been better with the latest 40d MHT powertrain in it IMO as it's less about the bare power and torque numbers but how those numbers are delivered if that makes sense.

But someone else could come along and disagree with me pointing to the silent start up, ability to trundle [...]
nice to read a balanced view, good write up.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:59 AM   #84
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
The bottom line is are we going to trust 'Which' who have a reputation going back decades of providing accurate consumer feedback or a few posters on here who have realised they have bought a 'Pup' but will continue to defend there poor decision despite the mounting evidence.

Go figure
remind us who those owners are that have realised they have bought a pup?

And what mounting evidence (forum hyperbole doesn’t count)?

Appreciate 1
JustChris17489.00
      02-12-2024, 06:09 AM   #85
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Battery deg.

Over 11300 miles, my estimated maximum range has degraded from 324.48 to 321.21. But that is also being rated at an outside temp of 9c currently versus 18 at the beginning. Will see how it plays out over years.

My average range is better than 39% of the same model at the same mileage, so pretty typical.

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13538.50
      02-12-2024, 11:37 AM   #86
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
nice to read a balanced view, good write up.
And to be fair to the car it was more along the lines of Harry's comments regarding a cheaper diesel vs a more expensive hybrid, but at the deal quoted I think the 50e for that is a bargain, a bit like an X3 40d being a better fit than an X3M unless they are doing silly deals which means you pick the X3M as I did, if that makes sense.

One thing I don't understand is why they didn't do a diesel hybrid 50d that would probably be perfect.
D69GMB463.00
KRS_SN13538.50
      02-13-2024, 11:02 AM   #87
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Friend over here walked around an Audi dealer's lot at the weekend. He said it was full of EVs. What we cannot work out is whether this is to feed lots of sales, or because the EVs are a millstone around the dealer's neck, foisted on them by Audi HQ.
Appreciate 1
crAbb1225.50
      02-14-2024, 02:04 AM   #88
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Lost just 2 miles on my LFP battery now after 10,000 miles. Not sure if this is permanent or just a winter thing.

I’ll only have this for maximum 50,000 miles ish so woudl be perfectly happy with 5x2 miles if it’s all linear. I’d honestly have expected slightly more by now, but early days let’s see.

I mention it’s LFP chemistry on the RWD as I charge all the way to 100 as recommend. Seems to be working thus far.
Attached Images

Wills28656.00