F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Motor Shut Off on Me Driving!
proTUNING Freaks

06-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Motor Shut Off on Me Driving!

I had a couple of error messages pop up today driving locally. First error message appeared and then followed by the second error message which eventually shut the motor off. This obviously put the transmission into neutral.

Luckily the car was going quick enough for me to pull over and restart. Upon restart both error messages went away.

Is this a fluke accident on some sensor or should I bring it back into service although currently all error messages have been cleared?

Only a couple of mods which include a JB4 Stage 2 on MAP 2 and an M Performance Exhaust.

I definitely don't want this to happen again! It would have been pretty dangerous on the freeway.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I had a couple of error messages pop up today driving locally. First error message appeared and then followed by the second error message which eventually shut the motor off...
I definitely don't want this to happen again!
You see where the iDrive screen says: "Consult Service Center"? What do you suppose that means?
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet3566.00
      06-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

drivetrain malfuntion happened to me first time i was using race gas ms109 and map7 ;p i was in 6th gear like 80mph and then after i floored it after 2 seconds it appeared and disappeared in 10secs max.
      06-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
andreiwright
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda civic

This one freaks me out! Happened to me a year ago, I was out in the freeway cruising 90mph when this suddenly came in, I didn't pay much attention to it because I was hitting the road when my car suddenly shuts down.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreiwright View Post
This one freaks me out! Happened to me a year ago, I was out in the freeway cruising 90mph when this suddenly came in, I didn't pay much attention to it because I was hitting the road when my car suddenly shuts down.
Taking it into the dealer tomorrow and removing my JB4!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Does any sort of tune affect motor operation namely shutting off the motor and trying to find "P" while still in motion. The vehicle was not boosting. I was slowing down at a red light no more than 15 mph and the motor shut off along with some electrical items.

Air conditioning stopped, all gauges dropped to zero, but the radio was still on...?

DME related? JB4 long since gone....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I know for a fact, which may or may not apply to you, that if you had programmed the EcoPro Sailing feature into a 12-13 and drive in EcoPro mode that once in awhile when you coast and then slow down - which means the car automatically engaging Neutral and then attempting to put it back into a drive gear when you push on the brake, that it'll not be able to start and attempt to find Park instead.

This may be to due to the EGS as it may have had changes for the 14 MY so that it supports coasting.

Other than that, could really be anything but that's just a tidbit for any others that may have the engine shut off which may so happen to have the Sailing function coded.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Phiwee
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Does any sort of tune affect motor operation namely shutting off the motor and trying to find "P" while still in motion. The vehicle was not boosting. I was slowing down at a red light no more than 15 mph and the motor shut off along with some electrical items.

Air conditioning stopped, all gauges dropped to zero, but the radio was still on...?

DME related? JB4 long since gone....
Did it ever happen again? What about without the jb4?
I noticed this happened to me with jb4 as well a while back.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phiwee View Post
Did it ever happen again? What about without the jb4?
I noticed this happened to me with jb4 as well a while back.
Never again. I removed the JB4 the very next morning...IMO and many others that tune was okay for the E series but not any of the F30's or F10's/F11's go to Dinan for that or COBB.

Not to say Terry and Jon do not give support they have been helping me solve this problem after being on limp mode for 5 weeks. I did have to ask Jon to forward my emails to Terry so he can see what his product is literally damaging DME's.

Many local installers here that do carry the JB4 Stage 1 and Stage 2 tune for the F30 328i and 335i all say the same thing about the actual JB4 module itself. Something about the board has a bad ground sensor and once that trips it goes straight to your CAN wires and straight into the DME. Kiss one of the most expensive parts of a brand new car good bye.

Untraceable? Yeah right. Stage 2 taps right into 2 CAN wires easily visible if you know where to look. BMW techs are not idiots and BMW obviously doesn't want to pay for warranty work that the owner caused intentional or not. BMS of course being an aftermarket tuner company take no liability but the fact that they are willing to even help says a lot about Terry.

It's just these F car DME's are a pain. They are a lot more voltage sensitive than the E cars in the past despite same motors on some of the other series.

Lucky for me my JB4 board was perfect harness perfect so I can still resell it. But I've had it with this tune. Definitely not ready for the F cars yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
I know for a fact, which may or may not apply to you, that if you had programmed the EcoPro Sailing feature into a 12-13 and drive in EcoPro mode that once in awhile when you coast and then slow down - which means the car automatically engaging Neutral and then attempting to put it back into a drive gear when you push on the brake, that it'll not be able to start and attempt to find Park instead.

This may be to due to the EGS as it may have had changes for the 14 MY so that it supports coasting.

Other than that, could really be anything but that's just a tidbit for any others that may have the engine shut off which may so happen to have the Sailing function coded.
I am never in EcoPro except one time during a test drive and another time going on a 5 hour road trip. Eh....I was happy with the fuel savings but a few bucks is nothing compared the pleasure of spirited driving. After all their motto is "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

I also had the dealer code out the start/stop feature the second day I had the car. I hate that thing!! They actually had to call the manufacturer or so they told me on how to do it. I bought the car in March 2013...and no one in any F30 is tired of start/stop?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
TractionControl=OFF
Banned
Rep
Drives: XP-38 (F30) Landspeeder

I had this issue too, just bring it in
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Babo335
Officer
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 Xdrive

I have similar problems with my new 2014 F30 just a week after I bought the car. My car engine did not shut off but the power was greatly reduced. I took it to dealer and they will be replacing the pressure pump.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #13
mastereh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328 xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
I had a couple of error messages pop up today driving locally. First error message appeared and then followed by the second error message which eventually shut the motor off. This obviously put the transmission into neutral.

Luckily the car was going quick enough for me to pull over and restart. Upon restart both error messages went away.

Is this a fluke accident on some sensor or should I bring it back into service although currently all error messages have been cleared?

Only a couple of mods which include a JB4 Stage 2 on MAP 2 and an M Performance Exhaust.

I definitely don't want this to happen again! It would have been pretty dangerous on the freeway.
So the second image happened to me today on my drive home!!! What the hell...

Each time I was slowing down the car would shift into neutral and the only thing I could do was pull over and turn car off.

What the hell... I hardly have 5000 km on the vehicle and already it's broken down.

Not a good start to bmw ownership...
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 12:58 AM   #14
dckula@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i F30

my car did this this morning i had my 90ah battery replaced with 100ah battery yesterday. i noticed my oil level was close to minimum its been 8 months since my last oil service please help
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The only way to diagnose a problem is with an OBD diagnostic tool. It can't be done over the internet.
Appreciate 0